Items we throw away such as bed, television, clothes, furniture, printer, toys, sofa and computer can pass to someone in your community.

Recycling is an effective way to cut down on the use of these limited resources as well as promoting community involvement in the process.

If you haven't heard yet, there is wonderful organization called Free Give Group ( http://www.freegive.co.uk ). Free Give Group connects people who are giving and getting unwanted items for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills and, at the same time, helping someone in your community by gifting them the item you no longer need. Another benefit of using Freegive is that it encourages poeple to get rid of junk that we no longer need and promote community involvement in the process. By using Freegive, not only are you able to get rid of your item with the minimum of fuss; you will also be doing your part in stopping another reusable item ending up in a landfill. It's completely free to join and everything posted must be free.

Visit Nottingham Freegive group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nottinghamfreegive

See other Freegive Groups in Nottinghamshire town near you at http://www.freegive.co.uk/eme.htm

This is a great idea! Encouraging people to reuse and recycle things by giving them away and not sending them to the garbage bin!

I think freegive ( http://www.freegive.co.uk ) is a great way to build a bond in the community and it's always good to recycle. I think it's a fantastic idea and everyone should join!

I visited relatives in Holland over 25 years ago...every Monday they put their bins out and piled all their unwanted goods next to them.Neighbours rummaged through each others unwanted goods and took what they wanted...By that night there was sod all for the bin men to take away.

That was 25 years ago...Just thought of it over here have we?....Rule Brittannia.

...every Monday they put their bins out and piled all their unwanted goods next to them.Neighbours rummaged through each others unwanted goods and took what they wanted...By that night there was sod all for the bin men to take away.

Same thing happens here - a few years ago, Mary put out an old, non-working lawnmower - about ten minutes later there is a knock on the door - it is the UPS man. Nothing to deliver - but he asks if he can have the mower! Later we left out old furniture, etc. By the next morning (collection day) it had all gone!

There's an old saying among "Dumpster Hoppers" "One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

There's a double glazing merchant in Nottingham who has a skip outside his premises...All old units and doors brought back are left propped against the skip at night....no end gets 'stolen' overnight. Saves filling a skip...and no end of allotment sheds have double glazing nowadays even if it is a bit old.

Nowt wrong with that sort of recycling!! Our TV came from a repoed house we cleared out a few years back. Old feller had died, mortgage became overdue, his Son took what he wanted and handed the keys in to the Bank and we were contracted to clear it out.

It was a gold mine!!!! We got loads of brand spanking new bath, hand towels!! TV that wasn't working, I found a diode fried in the power supply, not only that the date on the back plastic cover was less than SIX MONTHS OLD!!! I think the satellite dish had caught a nearby lightning strike. Sat receiver was toast and still hooked up to the TV. I got no end of pairs of newish jeans, shirts etc. We even found some solid silver coins among the piled up stuff.

A renatl we are clearing at the moment has yielded us one 52 inch back projector HD Akai TV, cleaned the projection mirror and lenses of grimy tobacco film, reassembled it and it now works a treat for us.

I'm hoping for a miracle day when we are contracted to clear a house and find a complete Collins "S" Line ham radio station. That was the Roll's Royce of HF radios in the 60's and still fetches premium prices.

I read a story recently about a man who 'inherited' a near as damnit brand new Fridge/ freezer and decided to give his own nearly new one away. He put it outside his house with a "Free to a good home" sign on it , no joy after a few days so he has this brain wave. He put a sign on it saying "For sale £30 ono " it was stolen within an hour!!

The sister in law saw a double glazed door in a skip, and asked for it.

She put it on eBay with a start price of £50, Here's the result

!BufjC,!CWk~$(KGrHqUOKi8EusBo,9d7BM!nsrE4Q!~~_35.JPG

upvc door with frame and cat flap. pvcu

Item condition:UsedEnded:

04 Jun, 201016:22:59 BST

Bid history: 1 Bid

Winning bid:£50.00

A couple of years ago I joined the local freecycle group as I had a considerable amount of childrens toys I wished to dispose of, many requests came flooding in and they were disposed of almost immediately..

but come the time when I made a request for item or items being offered I have NEVER been successful at gleaning anything.

I even put a request in for a couple items. ie old computer bits and pieces and a computer case, whereby I was immediately informed by the forum admin that I had not been a member long enough to request such items and maybe I ought to give more before asking to be given.

my thoughts on these groups are that they are one big scam operated by regulars who who do very nicely out of the proceeds.

anybody like to prove me wrong?

stan.

Me been member for some considerable time and had many a bargain including very modern fish tank with all bits and pieces thrown in for nothing.

Our latest acquisition is four gerbils and large glass tank [not the one mentioned above] the twins love them, they are sixteen in a months time and they act like six year olds when they show visitors them.

topas

Guest Flatcap Driver Rides Again

Have you tried it, you say?

Anyone got a free Hi Deformation TV to replace my 405 line box?

Will swap one of those astrays on a stand.

The kind that spin round when you push the button.

Thats what I say.

After much messing about i finally discovered a way to stop recieving their (Upto) 5 times a day emails (Freecycle). I offered a load of bits and bobs on there which were promptly taken off of my hands, yet when I put in a note of interest on a few different notifications i got the cold shoulder everytime!!

As has been said , I also reckon somebody is making a fortune on the "Car boot" scene out of peoples give a ways!!