Sitting on the pub door step!

Reminds me of the Three Crowns pub in Bulwell...spent many an hour outside there with a bottle of lemonade and Smiths crisps while parents where inside enjoying themselves....never knew why they coudnt have just left me at home!!!

Owdtite !!

...spent many an hour outside there with a bottle of lemonade and Smiths crisps while parents where inside enjoying themselves....never knew why they coudnt have just left me at home!!!

Yeah, what WAS the deal with that! Never complained, and eventually was allowed to have a half of shandy with me crisps, but never did like the idea of being left in the car while the "grown ups" went inside!

Smiths Crisps please - with the blue bag of salt!

Oh silly me, bit like ROFLMAO Hee Hee

I remember those Crisps with the blue bag, at least you had the option to salt or not to salt

And you didn't DARE open the pub door to get attention when your pop ran out...Nose against the window hoping to get noticed.

Slapped backside if you opened the pub door Poohbear...I have spent many a frought Saturday night jumping up at the window !!....Still cant understand why they didnt leave me at home, do you think it was cos they didnt trust me? :Shock:

There was always the woman leaves the pub with her bloke, and spot you and give you a hug.

"Aaaaaaah, ar yawl on yer own duck?"!

Done up to the nines. Well pissed, reeking of stale ale, ash trays and cheap make up.

It was a bu99er being a cute kid! But still no refill of crisps or pop was forthcoming.

I used to beg my mam to take me with her when she went for a drink, then was bored witless for the rest of the night! When I ran out of my bottle of lemonade and bag of crisps, I'd stop folks as they went in and tell them to tell me mam I wanted another pop etc. Most of the time she'd ignore me. The Barleycorn door was right on the pavement on a busy corner, but there was never any thought of anyone bothering you. Mam used to sing in the pub when she'd had a few, and I died of embarrassment when I heard her. Just a kid thing, her singing wasn't bad at all.

Our idea of heaven was being taken over the `apenny bridge of a warm summer evening to the Ferryboat Inn where they had a swing and grass to play on while Mam and Dad went for a drink.

That's posh Eileen, the pubs my mam frequented had no back garden. One had a skittle alley though if you could find another kid to play with you.

Another pub I was forced to sit outside was the "Commercial Inn" at Cotmanhay....My Dad would take me on Sunday Dinnertime so that Mum could have some time to herself and get the Sunday Roast ready..(in the days of male chauvanism)..lol.... We used to go and see my Uncle and Aunt who lived at Cotmanhay, my uncle was an ex miner and used to get loads of free coal and we used to relieve him of some on Sundays......This was another pub that was close to a road and I often wonder if it happened these days would I have been taken into care?? I honestly dont think it did us any harm at all, we were safe in those days and it was nice to know Parents were having a bit of fun time after working hard all week......Sometimes I used to get as many as 4 salt packets in my Smiths crisps...and sometimes I got none!!..lol

Owdtite..!

Mum could have some time to herself and get the Sunday Roast ready..(in the days of male chauvanism)..

You mean in the days of common sense when women behaved like Mothers and not night club hostesses...And Fathers went to work to raise their families...Not just impregnate some female round the back of the bus shelter then let the state raise the kids.

The majority of families with Mum and Dad were a damn site happier and more stable than the 15 year old kid pushing a pram nowadays because she couldn't keep her legs together.

Who got vinegar in their Portello then !!

Back to the subject, we always walked up to the Elwes arms in Bakersfield for our bottle of 'Britvic' orange and 'Smiths' crisps, the straw was paper and never made it to the end of the bottle !!

When I say always it was probably less than 10 times in my whole junior days, come to think about it, I probably went in there more in a fortnight as an adult than we ever did as a family...........LOL

It was always a drag up Greenhill rise to get there , and the rotters always took us the long way home sometimes down through Colwick woods but more often than not it was along the top roads that lead to Southdale Road and back to the valley that long way round.

Glenn (2 ns)

I used to live on Southdale Drive when i was a Kid so i know the area well

I WAS MORE LUCKY THAN THAT BECUASE MUM AND DAD OFTEN USED THE RAILWAY CLUB IN NETHERFIELD AND CHILDREN COULD GO IN AS LONG AS THEY WERE WELL BEHAVED AND SAT WITH PARENTS. NOT BRASSO BUT THE OLD RAILWAY CLUB AT THE TOP OF DEABIL ST LATER THE CAROLINE CLUB. AND PORTELLO WAS MY FAVORITE DRINK AND OFCORSE SMITHS CRIPS. REMEMBER WHEN PORTELLO FIRST CAME OUT THEY HAD A PROMOTION NIGHT AT THE CLUB AND I WON THAT MANY BOTTLES IF KEPT ME IN POP FOR WEEKS WHEN I WENT IN THE CLUB SAVED DAD A FORTUNE AS YOU GOT TOKENS TO EXCHANGE FOR A BOTTLE OF POP AS AND WHEN YOU WERE IN THE CLUB.

BUT USED TO GO IN JACKIE BELLS BACK YARD AND FOX AND HOUNDS AND THE ROYAL OAK CARLTON GARDENS IN THE SUMMER THE OAK HAD A MONKEY IN A CAGE BUT MIGHT HAVE BEEN CHESTERFIELD ARM AT GEDLING.