philby

the pop factory next to the nags head....

I worked at Redgates in Traffic Street for about six months in 1956. I worked both in the factory and as a lorry boy delivering Pop. My driver was a guy named Sid Stokes. I don't think he'd be around now. Great guy.

I also worked at Daybrook Home Brewery as a Boiler room watchkeeper in the early sixties after five years in the Navy.

Just me??

Panda Pops,Mandora,Top Deck,Shandy Bass, Fresca, Tab and those very cheap and nasty small clear cups which you pushed a straw in...they cost a tanner.

On the bar yesterday in The Loxley Pelham Street, quite nice & refreshing, I was the only one in our party that spotted the "Pop factory link to the ale" I was the second oldest :wacko:

EAAxBiQXoAA0z9W.jpg:large

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That seems a bit of a con. It's brewed by Oldershaws of Grantham with absolutely no connection to The Home Brewery. I lived until 1962 not far from the brewery and could regularly smell a waft of malt in the air on brewing days. The chairman of Home Brewery, Hordern Farr, used to live on Beck St. in nearby Thurgarton and his local was, of course, The Coach and Horses on Main St. I remember him being berated by local farmers for buying imported barley in preference to British because it was cheaper!  

55 minutes ago, radfordred said:

I was the second oldest :wacko:

Everywhere I go these days, I increasingly find I'm dropping into that category.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, radfordred said:

"Pop factory link to the ale"

I don't want my beer to taste like oranges or flowers or any other plant matter. I want it to taste like beer, malt and hops are ok though.

• Upvote 1

The mention of Barrs in Mansfield comes from the takeover of the Mansfield Brewery owned Mandora Soft Drinks (Mandora St Clements Ltd), of Bellamy Road by Barrs Soft Drinks in Dec 1987/Jan 1988.

They may have made/bottled Iron Brew there after that??