OK , I did a thread a little while ago asking who you'd like to meet living or dead and have a beer with , I chose the Queen Rog (Plantfit) chose T.O.M. Sopwith, etc. Now I don't want anybody getting morbid so no going back and resurecting the dead, but what era would you like to go back and see, or forward for that matter.

(I don't really want anybody stopping the assassination of Arch Duke Ferdinand or actually bumping off Hitler either. As there would be lot more problems in the world if he hadn't started the war someone else would!!)

Me ? I'd wait till tomorrow and go back to today, and give myself the Euro Millions numbers , Simples!!

Then IF you did have a time machine....take all that dosh you just won and go back further when it would be worth more and you'de be richer.

I'de just use it to go back to the 70s to do my shopping.....i might even find clothes i like in the shops..........wooooooooooooo

I would have loved to have travelled with one of the many explorers, Magellan, Columbus etc....I have always fancied sailing on one of the old ships but would have had to share the Captains quarters, I coudnt cope with the beds down below.....Failing that, I have always wanted to sleep on a submarine, I think those small beds look really cosy!!

Owdtite.

Got to be another of my hero's I K Brunel, probably the greatest engineer ever

Rog

Always fancied one of those hats

Got to be another of my hero's I K Brunel, probably the greatest engineer ever

Rog

Always fancied one of those hats

Yes me too, then I could ask him if the Box Hill Tunnel/Birthday thingy was a fluke or planned? (if in fact true?)

Hi Ashley, I bet the Box tunnel sunrise on Mr Brunel's birthday is true, The Victorians liked stuff like that, (it only shines through one end though)

Rog

...Failing that, I have always wanted to sleep on a submarine, I think those small beds look really cosy!!

Sorry to paint a morbid picture of your wish, but you could well be letting yourself in for an extremely unpleasant surprise...

A friend, who is about to retire after 18 years in the Submarine Service, has told me that as many as a third of new submariners are totally unable to cope with the incarceration aboard.

Ranging through severe side-effects of claustrophobia to such areas as 'coffin dreams' whilst trying to sleep, and even suicidal thoughts - sometimes culminating in total mental breakdown.

So severely effected are many of these sailors, that they are unable to be relocated to other Royal Navy deployments.

Seemingly, potential new recruits are now subject to rigorous testing prior to descending to the deep!

Best of luck...trust you enjoy your kip :unsure:

Cheers

Robt P.

...I bet the Box tunnel sunrise on Mr Brunel's birthday is true, The Victorians liked stuff like that...

"...There is a story which states that Brunel deliberately aligned the tunnel such that the rising sun is visible through it on 9 April each year, his birthday. Opinions vary widely as to whether this is true. Angus Buchanan writes:

The alignment of the Box Tunnel has been the subject of serious discussion in the New Civil Engineer and elsewhere. I am grateful to my friend James Richard for making calculations which convinced me that the alignment on 9 April would permit the sun to be visible through the tunnel soon after dawn on a fine day.

On the other hand, it has been asserted that it is impossible to guarantee the effect on a particular calendar day, because the angle at which the sun rises on a given date varies slightly with the cycle of leap years. However, the sun subtends an angle of about half a degree, which is more than the year to year variation, and more than the field of view through the tunnel, so it quite possibly seems to fill the tunnel every year. It is also asserted that Brunel failed to account for atmospheric refraction and the effect is visible a few days too early.

Buchanan concludes:

...I have found no documentary evidence for the often-repeated story that Brunel aligned the Box Tunnel so that the rising sun shone through it on his birthday, even though careful examination shows that it could indeed do so, and it is certainly a good story.

It is tempting to think that with a suitable vantage point, the effect (if not Brunel's intentions) can easily be checked on 9 April. However, the appropriate point is in the middle of a high-speed railway line and is thus potentially very dangerous. Photographs of the effect have reportedly been taken with appropriate assistance from railway officials...

Copyright: Wikipedia...

Cheers

Robt P.

• 1 year later...

I would like to go back and tell my old dad that I eventually took a University Degree, he would be proud. He made every effort to get me to do it when young but I resisted - finally graduating in 1999, 6yrs after his death.