Bus stops at Players

I know bus stops aren't the most interesting subject, but I noticed this a few years ago.

On Player Street in Radford, near its junction with Radford Boulevard, there's a metal panel fixed to a wall.

busstop.jpg

It's obviously a bit ancient, and hasn't been much use since the late 1960s when Players pulled out of Radford.

I guess it's a sort-of bus stop, but is it referring to special bus services which were put on for workers at Players? I didn't think normal NCT routes went along Player Street, so why is this thing stuck on the side of a wall, instead of being a conventional bus stop? And right in the middle of what looks like a loading bay......

wall.jpg

• Like 1

It was 1984 that players pulled out of the factory on Radford Boulevard, and I concur with Den re them being 'works specials'. We had several at Raleigh too (If you have a look down Triumph road the re may still be one or two there too)

The 'specials' were a direct link home for people who didn't have bus straight in to work , ie Ilkeston , Cotmanhay etc , we (In Carlton) didn't have one as the 72/39 did the business for us.

• Like 1

was going to say "late 60's" a bit early, Sounds unbelievable but Boots at Beeston had their own TRAIN! used to run from there to London Road works and back at dinnertime so workers could use canteen! No idea of dates etc, assume when Beeston first opened? likewise no details of pickup/drop off points

was going to say "late 60's" a bit early,

Now you mention it, I agree.

I was thinking of when the Horizon factory opened near Clifton Bridge, which was early 70s. I'd forgotten that some of the Radford factories lingered on for a long time after that

• Like 1

My old man worked there from 1944 until it closed in84, taking a golden hand shake his pension, (IMMSC he also got a limited edition "Minton China"Pot" to commemorate the opening of the Horizon Factory around 1970/71

I seriously don't remember there being any fags in it !! Then again , my Dad smoked plain and these "specials" would have been filtered , so I've no doubt he gave them away!!

• 1 year later...

The November 1971 NCT timetable has a list of fares for "Player's Works midday services". At the time this was 7p to Arnold Library or Daybrook Square (No.20?), 6p to Edwards Lane/Mansfield Road and 7p to Valley Road/Mansfield Road (No.2?). Other midday service fares shown are Fairnley Road 7p, Bulwell Market 7p, Dulverton Vale/Broxtowe Lane 6p, Bracebridge Drive 6p, Exbourne Road 5p, Scalford Drive 5p, Denton Green 5p, Northern Baths 5p, Enthorpe Street 5p, Western Boulevard/Beechdale Road 4p, Lenton Sands Junction 3p, North Gate 3p.

I seriously don't remember there being any fags in it !! Then again , my Dad smoked plain and these "specials" would have been filtered , so I've no doubt he gave them away!!

Or snapped off the tips & smoked 'em all from t'other end ?