I have just had Dynorod round to unblock the drains,(To tell the truth he's still here now finishing off hosing down) I opened the man hole in the back garden before we went away to France, and it was full to nearly over flowing with you know what! I left it to flow whilst away and then "Rodded" it yesterday (A good 50 foot through to next doors property)

Any way Dynorod man starts to blast through mine with his 'laser hose' and gets nowhere, he has at least 60 foot down before he gives up. We go next door and ask to use their manhole (Next door is a council house by the way) they give permission and also state that they too had had a problem with their drains !!

Me and Mr Rod have their cover up to find it is also full!! and we proceed to 'jet away' down it, to no avail !! After a lot of faffing about Mr Rod discovers it's the roots of their Laylandi that's causing the blockage . They agree to get them chopped down and remove the routes (They are OAPs)

The question is , I have paid Mr Rod £120 to fix the problem , this problem was actually caused by next doors trees blocking the drains , should the council (As it is a council house) refund my money ??

At a guess, yes, as the problem has occurred on Council Property.

Just been passed from pillar to post (At least 3 different phone numbers) before I finally got to speak to some poor proper little madam reading from a script , after I explained that I wasn't a council tennant I had a devil of a job to keep her on the phone (IE not a council tennant , not my problem , type of attitude!!)

Me " I have paid for DynoRod to fix this problem is there any way I can get a refund as it was not caused by anything I have done wrong"

Her " No as it's a 'shared drain' you have to pay for it "

Me " Well if it's a shared drain, then you should at least share the cost !!"

Sound of squirming from the other end of the line!!

" If you send a copy of the report and bill we will look into it, can you give me the address of the problem ,?"

I give her the address then she looks at the computer and tells me that there is a 'job report' on the property and someone will be there shortly.

I asked her why? as I had already paid to have the problem fixed, and she tells me it's to ensure the job was done satisfactorily ! and as it's a shared drain I would have to pay half their costs too!!!!!! WHAT THE F**K!!!!! (Ididn't sware at her honest!!)

"So you want me to pay again for a job that I've already had done and paid for ???"

"That's correct sir "

I said goodbye and hung up, then slowly reached for the Brandy!!

Rule Brittania .!!!!!!!!!!!!.....................unionflag

Ian, Give firbeck a shout, sounds right up his street this one, he will enjoy sorting out the scumbags and slime balls

Rog

I "think" that if the roots had penetrated the drain, then it must be dug up and a section of the pipe replaced. Simply cleaning it out will fix the drainage problem, but the roots have compromised the drain and it could be leaking out - which will eventually cause all sorts of nasty stuff.

Course, I could be wrong!

All I can relate is that on Western Boulevard the drains run in line with the houses at the back of such with a tee off under the entry every 6 or so houses. on ours the pipe from the tee to the interceptor in the road would block every so often, 5 of the 6 houses were in private ownership but because one was still council owned they cleared the blockages at no cost.

Another instance happened when the cold water main in a mate's garden burst, said main fed his owned prefab and 3 council owned ones. after consultation with NCC he repaired such and council paid 75% of the cost of his invoiced labour and materials.

The obstruction (Tree and roots) are coming out tomorrow, and guess what?? Yup the council want to bill me for that fluffer too!! I've advised them that are similar to penguins, in that they can both shove their bills up their arses!!

If the sole reason for the blockage is confirmed as the tree roots and the owner of the tree can be identified, then the owner of the tree is responsible [see Rylands -v- Fletcher]. If the tree is in a boundary hedge it may be argued who owns the tree, even though the boundary may belong to one householder or the other. The neighbour may be covered for tree damage in their property insurance.

If the drains have simply decayed over time then each householder served by the drain should share the cost on properties built after mid 1930's.

Unfortunately, it may cost to discover if the tree is the sole cause of damage.

If the drain damage is due to earth movement, heave or subsidence, check your property insurance.

Their "man hole" and blockage are totally on the opposite side of his garden and the flow is away from my house through to his, there is no way it could be blamed on us (I hope ! )

Excuse the scribble I have just thrown this together sharpish as I have to get SWMBO from work !!

5469253842_ba78cdd908_b.jpg