• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottstalgia's team to beat the Aussies,,     Carni. Great solid opener,who can sing,, Sue B can be relied on in a crisis Jill. Will punish,anything out of line,, Nonna. R

I think the problem with cricket is that, as far as I'm aware, it's only played at Public Schools now so the majority of kids are not exposed to it, even television coverage is on Sky rather than BBC,

Stokes did not come up with the runs, neither did Bairstow but Harry Brooks's 75 steered the ship home to keep the series alive. Did anyone notice the rainbow stripes at the bottom of the stumps. WTF

Don't know which administrator thought it would be a good idea to hold a test match in Manchester. It was a great idea and the weather has cost England the test series and the Ashes. As a result I am not taking a lot of interest in the dead rubber at Lords. The series and the Ashes gone, what is the point?

What a great player he’s been for the past 20 years …….. I shall miss Stuart Broad’s playing skills with bat as well as ball and his joking and cheekiness on the field.   Because of his virtually full-time England duties Nottinghamshire CC hasn’t had the benefit of him being on their books.  What does an international cricketer do when he retires at 37?  Go and work for SKY I expect, when not pulling pints at his pub! 

Lizzie, yep great player and also bloomin good looking! I shall miss him really for his cricket skills and humour. Reminds me a bit of Botham back in the day.

Am sure that Harry and him will gain their goal of 6 pubs in the area now he is retiring, they already have two.

On 7/30/2023 at 7:35 AM, MRS B said:

Reminds me a bit of Botham back in the day.

On 7/30/2023 at 4:24 AM, LizzieM said:

I shall miss Stuart Broad’s playing skills with bat as well as ball and his joking and cheekiness on the field.  

His cheekiness reminds me very much of that other Nottinghamshire lad, Derek Randall (Arkle)

• Like 1

I remember Stuart’s dad Chris playing too. What a great end although we didn’t retain the Ashes of course. I was a little concerned when I checked in at lunchtime and Stokes had dropped Steve Smith’s catch but all good at the  end. Pity we didn’t have more “oomf” at the beginning of the series 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For a change it was Australia's middle order that played collapso cricket losing 4 wickets for 11 runs.

Broad hit a 6 in his final innings and took 2 for 62 in the last innings of his test career. I wish him well in his retirement. It was a good win for England.

Unfortunately, a great series was ruined by bad weather in the 4th test. Is it time for the administrators to schedule two "spare" days in the program to allow for weather disruptions?

• 2 months later...

Anyone watching the ODI World Cup from the 134,000 seat Narendra Modi stadium in Ahmedabad, Gujerat. England vs New Zealand. 

Root was bowled for 77 playing a stupid reverse sweep. Woakes has just been caught for 11 and now Curran is caught behind for 14. England after their 50 overs finish on 282 for 9. Nowhere near the 300+ which is par for the course these days. Wickets have fallen too regularly to build a score.

How does Moeen Ali keep getting picked???

Sadly unless there is a great bowling performance it looks like England may lose this match.

4 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

It was a bit one-sided. At least England can't be worse in the next game.

A bit one-sided was an understatement, Cliff Ton. Losing by nine wickets and with 82 balls remaining. Apart from Root and Joss Buttler all of the team got into double figures but no-one else went on to score a fifty or more. Some wildly erratic bowling from essentially a powder-puff attack never gave them a chance and were never in the game. Accomplished 100+s from Conway and Ravindra inflicted one of England's heaviest defeats in this format. In a post match interview Joe Root described it as a "bit of a wobble". For me, the number of vacant seats in the massive stadium does not bode well for the fifty over form of the game. Will this be the last world cup in this format? Strange that they opened the competition without the home team playing and on a weekday? Can they be worse in the next game? Possibly as they looked totally aimless.

• 2 weeks later...

England lose by 69 runs in a shock defeat to Afghanistan. They are now likely to need to win 5 of their remaining six games to progress to the semi finals.

This result puts Australia firmly at the bottom of the world cup table ahead of the game against Sri Lanka tonight. If they lose it could well be all over for the Aussies.

132,000 were at the recent World Cup game between India and Pakistan at the Narendra Modi Stadium, the largest stadium in the world.

Anyone watching England vs South Africa from Mumbai (Bombay) in India.

After a wicket with the second ball of the innings to Topley, he went off with a damaged finger and now South Africa are taking to England's powder puff bowling attack with an undefeated second wicket stand of 75. Now 81 for 1. It will be a struggle for England to win this one.

Well! England capitulated and got right royally flogged by South Africa losing by a whopping 229 runs.

That clearout of managers, administrators and players must be well past due. They are second last on the table and their championship must surely be over after they conceded their highest score in their ODI history. It was only late in the innings when bowlers Woods and Atkinson showed some resistance and shamed the early order batsmen. The England bowlers were never really a threat to SA after Topley's injury.

South Africa also beat England in the Rugby World Cup semi final by one point in a heartbreaking loss.

There is great joy and celebration in the Land Down Under as we beat Holland by the tournaments biggest score, 309 runs and now lie 4th on the table having beaten Netherlands, Sri Lanka, and Pakistan. Losing to India and South Africa. We are yet to play New Zealand, England, Afghanistan and Bangladesh.

Worthy of note! Beating the Netherlands is equivalent to Notts CC beating Gedling Miners Welfare 4th team, so no surprises there. NZ, England and Afghanistan are much tougher prospects and Bangladesh could spring a surprise on a turning wicket.

England were flogged by Sri Lanka who won by 8 wickets with 146 balls remaining. Effectively ending their defence of the ODI world cup crown.

A pathetic batting performance was followed an equally shambolic (again) bowling attack. It was an embarrassment.

This team of geriatrics is surely well past it's use by date and needs a total clearout including the administrators, coaches and managers. 

England play favourites India next and then Australia on 4th November, let's see what happens? If I were in charge and the rules allow I would put the whole sorry shambles on a plane home and bring out a team of young lads who can play with a bit of pride.

A hapless England lose by 100 runs to India. After a respectable bowling effort dismissed India for 229 runs England played collapso cricket to be all out for 129.

There were three ducks in the England innings including a first ball one from Joe Root.

Time to ring the changes from top to bottom.

• Upvote 1

Too many competions..........used to look forward to proper Cricket......5 day tests against the Aussies every 5 years...........

Keith Miller.Great all rounder..Ray Lindwall.opening bowler...Ken Mackay Bat all day for very few runs........

England had one or two decent players too......Peter May...Collin Cowdery...Ken Barrington...Trevor Bailey......i could go on......

One day Cricket NAW........LOL

• Like 1