Were you at Berridge?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

A follow-up to what I posted a couple of weeks ago re: Google searches bringing up links to Nottstalgia.

It didn't all happen overnight and I've been testing various topics to see if/when they appeared, and today I've finally seen a link to Nottstalgia if you search for Berridge School Nottingham. 

It'll be interesting to see if it opens any floodgates.

• Like 2
On 1/24/2024 at 8:19 PM, letsavagoo said:

Listing the first of 2 Berridge class photos for Jill who will give the details she has ascertained.

IMG-8411.jpg

I now have a much more complete list of names for the two recent photos. Thanks to Jenny Lewin (nee Simons) and Lesley Allen (nee Webster) for providing many of the missing names.

1958/9 second year juniors. Teacher: Mrs Peart.

Back row. L to R: unknown, Dianne Blackband, Keith Brown, Janice Sharman, Nicholas Clark, Alan Allcock, Christopher Camidge, Lesley Webster, unknown, Paul Baylis, Gillian Danby, Linda Smith.

Third row. L to R: Paul?, Robert Baron, Ivy Terry, Lorna Howard, Diane Winstanley, Alan Steele, David Jepson, John Beckett*, unknown, Lyn Danby, Barbara Skelton, Margaret Broomhead.

Second row. L to R: Patricia Smith, Susan Pollard, Jane?, Jennifer Simons, unknown, Susan Meakin, Kathryn North, Vivian Widdowson, Linda Underwood, Julie Sparrow, unknown, unknown, Carol Stokes.

Front row. L to R: Peter?, John Martin, Paul Sheasby, Jonathan Platt, unknown, Philip Smith, unknown, unknown, unknown.

• Like 1
On 1/24/2024 at 8:27 PM, letsavagoo said:

And the second.

IMG-8412.jpg

1960/1 fourth and final year juniors. Teacher, Mr Wild.

Back row: L to R: Alan Steele, Christopher Camidge, Alan Allcock, Paul Taylor, Carol Stokes, Margaret Broomhead, John Beckett*, unknown, Nicholas Clark, Paul Baylis.

Third row L to R: Keith Brown, Jennifer Simons, Lorna Howard, Ivy Terry, Lyn Danby, Lesley Webster, Maria Switzenhof (spelling uncertain), Janice Sharman, unknown, Dianne Blackband, Vivian Widdowson, Audrey Denman, Peter?

Second row. L to R: Mary?, Shirley Lee, Kathleen?, Susan Pollard, Kathryn North, Theresa?, Patricia Smith, Kathleen?, Julie?, Kathryn Green, unknown, Linda Smith.

Front row. L to R: John Martin, Jonathan Platt, Paul Sheasby, unknown, Robert Baron, Philip Smith, unknown, unknown.

* John Beckett is the son of Revd. William V Beckett who became vicar of St Stephen's church in 1957. John Beckett became Professor of History at Nottingham University and is, I believe, now retired. He went to Peveril after Berridge. According to my sister, a group of Peveril pupils used to meet up and make their way to school together every morning. These included my sister and Philip Smith who lived close to us. John Beckett was always late and there was often trouble because the group who waited for him arrived after the register bell had rung! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I found some more school reports from Berridge today. Also my leaving report from Windley. The latter is helping me clear up the mystery of why I didn't take the 11+.

The report was in 1948 and I was 9yrs 9months. Average age of class was 11yrs 1 month. There were 37 in the class and I was placed 19th but was 16 months younger than the rest of the class?

My first school reports from Berridge are missing which is strange because my Mother was quite assiduous at saving all my docs and exam results - even swimming certificates:) The Windley report does clear up one mystery. I had mistakenly thought that a Mr Smith was the Head of Berridge when I first started there. In fact he was the Head of Windley and Mr RW Skilbeck was the head of Berridge. Mr Skilbeck was replaced in 1952/3 by Mr SWP Henton.

My form teachers at Berridge were Mr JS Leigh, Mr AJ Pearce, Mr W Cheesman and Mr BC Smeeton. I remember our maths teacher was Mr Jewett - he was good.

I suspect that my mother knew something was wrong when I was about to leave Windley. She didn't want me to go to Berridge and she took me to see Mr Smith. For some reason she wanted me to go to Cottesmore? I remember Mr Smith reassuring her that Berridge was a fine school and that I would be alright there. I can't remember my age being discussed.

Anyway - Berridge senior boys set me up well enough and I look back at my old school with fond memories.

• Like 1

Mr Skilbeck became head of Berridge Boys in 1950 and Mr Henton in 1952.

There were obviously some peculiar goings on with age groups during those years. I've recently encountered a former Berridge Junior Boy who says he went straight into the second year juniors from the infants and remained two years ahead of his chronological age group for the remainder of his junior years...and his photographs bear that out.

My mother was also very keen on preserving school photos. This is why I can't understand why we don't have any of my sister after her time in the infant school. The photos do exist and she is on them. What happened to our family copies goodness only knows.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2020 at 5:55 PM, Cliff Ton said:

And another for Jill & Co to comment on. This appeared on FB a few days ago, posted by a person named Gary Martin, and was titled 'Circa 65'.

1sRZYwZ.jpg

Mr kemp teacher..

Back row Gary Martin ?  Trevor Campbell.  Jeffrey English.  Melvin Allen.  Gary Varley.  Philip Machin....middle row ?  Kevin Allan. ?  Robert Singleton.  Hubert Oliver.  Ian Munrow.  John Daniels.  Jeremy Whitchurch. ? ....front row Karen Pullen.  Elaine Kirk.  Jean Eddis.  ?  Jannet Allen.  Ann Whitchurch.  ? ?  (Stephen Gillies .

Welcome, @red rob

Are you a former Berridge pupil?  Thanks for the names. These children were a year above me.  Mr Kemp was a force to be reckoned with, although he never taught me.  I'd be very interested to hear your Berridge memories.

9 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Welcome, @red rob

Are you a former Berridge pupil?  Thanks for the names. These children were a year above me.  Mr Kemp was a force to be reckoned with, although he never taught me.  I'd be very interested to hear your Berridge

Went to berridge rd loved it then onto Peverel hated it, if you've seen the film kes that's the kind of school it was!!

I think most of us disliked secondary school. I certainly did. Five years of torment at The Manning.  Who taught you in the final year of Berridge? Alan Parr or Trevor Williams?  Do you remember Gerald Chandler?

On 11/29/2018 at 4:49 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

jschool-2.jpg?

Again, from Friends United. Date unknown but looks like 1950s. This was taken outside the infant building and, in the background, at extreme left is the door in the wall I first entered when I began school, aged 4, just inside the Brushfield Street gate.

My 1st year at berridge rd teachers name is miss Marlow...Back row - martin Little. ? Melvin Davis. Melvin Allan. Kevin Allen. Kevin Noon. ? Robert Wire. Philip Machin. ? Gary Martin... Middle row - Robert singleton. ? ? Pauline Cross. ? Jennifer Dench. ? ? ? Stephen Leonard. ? ?...front row - Ann Hutchinson. ? ? ? ? ?  Jill Maddon. ? ? Susan Charlton. ?...Happy Days!  1962.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I think most of us disliked secondary school. I certainly did. Five years of torment at The Manning.  Who taught you in the final year of Berridge? Alan Parr or Trevor Williams?  Do you remember Gerald Chandler?

Soz Jill can't remember final year but in miss Marlow .Mr parr . Mr chandler. And yes Mr kemp!

How about Harry Cook, Miss Smith (infants), Miss Barks, Miss Stockill, Mr Baugh (head of the juniors).  I'm still in touch with Gerald Chandler. Sadly, both Parr and Williams are deceased. Good teachers all of them. @red rob

On 8/31/2020 at 5:41 AM, letsavagoo said:

Another Berridge group taken in the junior playground, the backs of houses on Kenslow Avenue in the background. Mr Williams the teacher with a student teacher end right. A few years younger than my year but I recognise some. Jill will fill in the details below. 

FF2-D72-F1-B848-4-F4-D-BF61-AE0-C98-A680

@red rob  this photo is a real mix of age groups but many are from your year. Are you on here?  You'll recognise Parr and Williams at the back. Taken in the summer of 1968 just before your year left for secondary school.

12 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

@red rob  this photo is a real mix of age groups but many are from your year. Are you on here?  You'll recognise Parr and Williams at the back. Taken in the summer of 1968 just before your year left for secondary school.

Not on this pick but recognise most faces a few life long mates Gary Humpries Tim Williams 

I'm Not not on this pick but a lot of my age year on it..Still see a lot of Berridge lads life long mates-Gary Humphries  Tim Williams  Steven Holbrook  Gary Varley  John Roper  John Briggs.

@red rob John Roper's sister. Denise, is on that photo and his older sister. Christine, was at Berridge with my sister. The Roper family lived above the wool shop on the corner of Hazelwood Road for many years.

Class photo Jill has asked me to upload for her. These children were born around 1956. I knew many of this group and my wife is pictured on here too. 

IMG-8732.jpg

3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

@red rob John Roper's sister. Denise, is on that photo and his older sister. Christine, was at Berridge with my sister. The Roper family lived above the wool shop on the corner of Hazelwood Road for many years.

That's right they had a dog that used to jump on to the wall at the back of thre shop growing at people walking by but it had no teeth!. The shop later became a sketchleys dry cleaners.

1 hour ago, letsavagoo said:

my wife is pictured on here too

Did you marry a child bride then Lets ?

4 hours ago, Beekay said:

Did you marry a child bride then Lets ?

Perhaps I should have said my future wife. We married when Jane was 17 and I was 19. Frightening when you realise it was only 6 years after this photograph. It will be our Golden anniversary in a couple of months.

And I wish you all the very best to you both Lets.

We celebrated our Golden back in 2015 up at Thoresby hall when we planted a pear tree and go back to see it every year. So you were virtually childhood sweethearts, and long may it last.

You'll have to PM me the date, so I can send you an anniversary card. B.

• Like 2
On 3/20/2024 at 10:22 AM, red rob said:

My 1st year at berridge rd teachers name is miss Marlow...Back row - martin Little. ? Melvin Davis. Melvin Allan. Kevin Allen. Kevin Noon. ? Robert Wire. Philip Machin. ? Gary Martin... Middle row - Robert singleton. ? ? Pauline Cross. ? Jennifer Dench. ? ? ? Stephen Leonard. ? ?...front row - Ann Hutchinson. ? ? ? ? ?  Jill Maddon. ? ? Susan Charlton. ?...Happy Days!  1962.

I think 5th from left on front row is Kathryn Dexter

• Upvote 1