Were you at Berridge?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Lovely visit to Berridge yesterday and nice to put faces to names. Planning a few things I could talk to the children about and sort out my school photos it made me realise that it was 59 years since

Posted Images

I do have quite a lot of Berridge photos, most of which are posted on this thread but where we aren't certain of the dates of some. You may like to look through them to see whether you can spot anyone.

My own sister was born in 1950, so her pictures are too early for your purposes.

Depending on when the older one was born, she might be on some of Letsavagoo's photos. Or you might like to PM him and ask him if he knows their names. He lived quite close by at that time.

I am not in touch with my sister's former husband.

Another of my sisters concurred that it is I with the dickie bow and went on to say her husband also went to Berridge!

Mam picked me out with the bow tie so I think that is conclusive.  Thanks to Jill I have identified my eldest sister (and maybe another sister) in Letsavagoo's photos.

I had a similar experience. My older sister died a few years ago. I’d never seen a school photo of her but one of her class photos popped up on here as she was in the same class as Jills older sister. It was quite a surprise when I saw her.

I think we can rule out 1969 as I have a couple of photos, including year 6 of 1969. The photos were black and white.

The configuration of this image makes me wonder whether it is contemporaneous with the colour image further back on this thread which I estimated was around 1971/2.  Mr Sutcliffe was after my time.

Letsavagoo has forwarded a list of names for the last photo (Credit: Robert Widdowson on the Peveril School Public Facebook page).

Back row left to right:  Sidney Carruthers, ?,  ?, Stephen Curtis, Graham Eaton, ?, Steven Richardson, ?, Robert Widdowson ,Patrick Bass, Vincent Widdowson ,Stanley Morris, Gary Fewkes, Mr Sutcliffe.

Next row: ?, ?, David Rawson (uncertain), ?, ?, Sharon,  Gail Turner, Sharon Turner (uncertain), Ovetta Reid, ?, ?, ?, Glyn Greening, Michael Powell.

Next row: ?, Rhonda Gilding, ?, Catherine, ?, 2 Stanley sisters, ?, ?.

Next row:  Stanley brother (looking at his sisters), ?, ?, Robert Swinton, Ravinda Hari, Owen Campbell, Geoff, Campbell, ?, ?, Raymond.

There would appear to be a mixture of age groups on this photo which seems to be sibling oriented, rather than the standard class photo. Perhaps this accounts for the 46 children shown.

It's a sibling photo rather than a class photo, MD. Perhaps that's the reason.

The person who posted it on Facebook has put earlier Berridge photos on there but they are very poor quality images. We are attempting to get better copies so they can be posted on here. One shows Miss Stockill and another shows Miss Smith.

When I was clearing out my parents house, i took some books from my childhood, precious things to me now. One was 123 ABC and was in Gerry Machins handwriting (as it was clearly not my fathers handwriting) and said. This book belongs to PT on his 5th birthday from Kim and Gaye Machin. I was looking at it today. 

Many thanks to CT for posting this and getting it the right way round.

Letsavagoo has gathered an interesting cache of Berridge photos, many going back to the early 50s.

I wanted to start with this one because it was posted on another site by someone whose older brother was with me right through Berridge. He was Gary Walker and his younger brother was Dean. I remember Dean in his pram!  Ain't I old?

Dean was born in 1962 which means he started Berridge in 1967. He said he thought this photo was around 1968.

When I first saw it, I thought the teacher could be Kathleen MacDonald who married fellow teacher, Alan Parr.  

On closer inspection, it isn't. This can't be 1968 as I was still at Berridge then and I don't recognise the teacher. Secondly, Dean is on this photo and if it was 1968, he would only be 6 years old.

These are junior aged pupils. My guess would be 1972ish.

Someone who could help here is MD. He might even be on it!  I can't name any of the pupils but perhaps he can.

As Jill has mentioned I have found a number of Interesting Berridge School photos that I will be posting in the coming days. Most of these have been taken from Facebook pages, particularly a ‘lost school friends’ group. It is impractical to credit each individual poster but as they are posted openly on Facebook, I assume the originator would consent to my reposting them here. Special thanks to both Jeff English and Alan Randall who steered me to the group. I’ll post them one at a time as Jill has some information she will add below each picture and it will save confusion.

Here’s the first. Miss Barks class. My wife recognises the Goodacre twins, Peter and Robert 3 and 4 back row from  Darley Avenue and I believe that 4th along middle row Chris Harron from Kingsford Avenue.

A2238716-7-C40-4704-B9-C0-A1-A8-D0207-EE

Given the backdrop, this is 1964. The original poster named the teacher as Miss Bartlett but it is definitely Margaret Barks,  later Mrs Massey.

The photo was taken in what was the infant playground, accessed via the iron gate on Brushfield Street. Behind Miss Barks you can just see the metal climbing frames that were there when I first started school. No bark chippings or soft surface underneath them. At least one child broke an arm falling off these when I was in the infants!  They, together with the outbuildings in the background, were removed.  This area is now a car park.

Thanks, CT.

This photo was taken in the autumn term of 1965 and shows the infamous Mr John Henry 'Kempy' Kemp. "Waken up boy or you'll get these rulers round your backside!"

This looks like the parallel class to the second year junior class of Mrs Pryce where I and 5 of my peers spent a year ahead of ourselves. Mrs letsavagoo was also in that class.

I cannot name any of the children on this photo, with the possible exception of Hubert Oliver, centre of the middle row. I'm sure the letsavagoo team can shed some light.

Kempy looks sufficiently benign here but he had a fearsome reputation. The only contact I ever had with him was being chosen to present him with a book on roses when he retired a year or so later. There is a potted history of him earlier on this thread.

The backdrop of the photo is Berridge Road before the corner of Oakland Street.

We have only one name for this:  Jim Greentree, front row, extreme right.  James D Greentree was born towards the end of 1943. According to my research, he died in 2013, aged 69.

As these are Berridge Senior Boys, this photo could fall between 1954 and 1957. 

No idea who the teacher is. PP might, perhaps, know?

Information relating to the above:

Back row, from left:  Terry Lack, Peter Smith, Pat Jacklin, William Marshall*, ?, John Steele, ?, John Garner, Susan Merrikin, Peter Harrison, ?.

Next row:  Michael Carroll, Michael Tansley, Pat Sentence*, John Sulley, ?,  Gillian Brader, ?,  Janet Horobin, Harvey Chaplin, Glennys Wells, Michael Johnson, ?, Edmund Salter, Susan Johnson.

Next row:  Zoe Harrison,  ?, Dorothy Wesseldine, Brian Allport, Yvonne Gee, Geoffrey Smith, Althea Butler, ?, Marion Place, Terry Walker, ?, Michael Booth, John Elliott (standing)

Front row: Gordon Freestone, Christine Smith, ?, Pat Allport, Barry Bell, Diane Wealthall*, Melvin York, Janet Hutchinson, ?, Stephanie Haynes.

The photo was originally posted by Glennys Wells (under her married name) who noted that Althea Butler had sadly died of leukaemia at the end of 1952.

Names marked * are known to me as follows:

William Marshall was the eldest of the Marshall children who lived at the railway crossing house at Bobbers Mill.

Sentance was a very local name with one family living on Alfreton Road just before The Grand pub.

Wealthall is another well known name, Harold Wealthall keeping a greengrocery shop on the corner of Radford Boulevard/Grimston Road for many years.

There's also a Michael Booth in this photo. Possibly not him but we do have a member with the same name.