Were you at Berridge?

Berridge first year juniors in 1964/5.

Back row: L to R: Keith Hudson, Jeffrey Warren, Stephen Eccles, unknown, Stephen Holbrook, unknown, Charles Haskey, John Daniels, Jeffrey English.

Third row, L to R: unknown, unknown, unknown, Pauline Cross, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown,Jeremy Whitchurch,

Second row, L to R: Anne Hutchinson, unknown, Christine Lamb, unknown, unknown, Karen Hatfield, Jacqueline Marshall, unknown.

Front row, L to R: unknown, unknown, unknown, Michael Chomyn, Malcolm Flowers, unknown, unknown, unknown.

thanks to Letsavagoo for posting.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

@Jill Sparrow  Was Stephen Holbrook elder brother of Christopher T Holbrook (a former work colleague of mine) who also went to Berridge? (think you told me that).  Probably a year between them.

• 4 weeks later...

Jill has just informed me that Trevor Williams has recently passed away. Anyone who was at Berridge in the mid to late 1960’s will remember this lovely man I’m sure. Berridge was his first teaching post straight from teacher training school. I have fond and happy memories of my final Berridge year with him. He went on to have a marvellous teaching career finishing as a well respected head teacher. Very active in local chess activities and a decent marathon runner. I had the pleasure of chatting to him on the phone last year. Unfortunately he was showing the effects of dementia but still had an interesting conversation. I am lucky and privileged to have had him as my teacher. May he rest in peace.

• Like 1

Three years after Letsavagoo, Trevor Williams taught me in my final year at Berridge.  I remember my parents attending an open evening very close to the end of July in 1969, just before I left. They came home and reported that he'd said of me, "Oh, your daughter! She's hopeless. Can't do a thing with her. Thick as a brick!"  Can you imagine what would happen if a teacher were to say that today?  It's typical of his sense of humour which, in teaching (as in life in general), is of paramount importance.  Trevor Williams never needed to resort to corporal punishment. A certain look in the miscreant's direction was all that was needed to bring them to heel.  Many people become teachers but relatively few have the gift he possessed.  Yes, Letsavagoo, we were very privileged to have spent a year with him.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Jill,

Lesley Allen (nee Webster) has posted a couple of nice school photos for Berridge on the Nottingham Lost School Friends Facebook page. I think you're a member so can view it OK.

One of them features lots of my school friends at Forest Fields Grammar including Alan Allcock, David Jepson, Nicholas Clark and Keith Brown.

I've only seen a dark photocopy of this class before so it's great to see the original.

@Mess yes. Thanks. I've seen the photos and my sister is on one of them. Letsavagoo is going to Photoshop them a bit and we'll put them on here with some names. If you can identify anyone and their position on the photos it would be a great help.

This photo was taken in 1958/9. The teacher is Mrs Peart.

Back row L to R: unknown ,unknown, unknown, unknown, Nicholas Clark, Alan Allcock, unknown, Lesley Webster, unknown, Paul Baylis, unknown, unknown 

Third row L to R: unknown, unknown, Ivy Terry, Lorna Howard, Diane Winstanley, unknown, unknown, unknown, Alan Steele, unknown, unknown, unknown 

Second row L to R: unknown, Susan Pollard, unknown, Jenifer Simons, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, Vivian?, Linda Underwood, Julie Sparrow, unknown, unknown, unknown 

Front row L to R: unknown. John Martin, unknown, Paul Sheasby, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown

Photo originally posted by Lesley Allen, nee Webster.

This is a final year photo from 1960/1 and the teacher is Mr Wild

Back row L to R:  Alan Steele, Christopher Camidge, Alan Allcock, Paul Taylor, unknown, David Jepson, David Chapman, Nicholas Clark,  Paul Baylis, unknown 

Third row L to R:  Keith Brown, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, Lesley Webster, unknown, Christine Roper*, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown 

Second row L to R: unknown, unknown, unknown, Susan Pollard, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown 

Front row L to R:  unknown, Jonathan Platt, unknown, unknown, Philip Smith* unknown, unknown, unknown

* indicates unconfirmed but I'm pretty sure of the identity!

Photo originally posted by Lesley Allen nee Webster.

Su Pollard appears in both photos above. My sister only appears in one.  @Mess may be able to add more names. He didn't attend Berridge but he was a pupil at FFGS with several of those in these photos.

Hi Jill,

I've been enjoying the school photos that Lesley posted and can maybe help a bit more.

First photo: back row third in from left looks like Keith Brown.

Third row from front seventh from left is David Jepson (directly in front of Alan Allcock)

On the front row third from left is Paul Sheasby and fourth along is Jonathan Platt

Second photo: Definitely not David Jepson on the back row!

Front row third from left looks like Paul Sheasby.

Until I read your post I didn't spot Alan Steele or Paul Sheasby.

They are both on Facebook BTW.

Keith Brown messaged me via Nottstalgia few years back but didn't reply.

Allan Allcock is a GP and runs The Health House in Portsmouth

Nicholas Clarke ran the Gregory Boulevard Post Office for many years after his dad retired. I think Nick is also retired now.

Finally I was struggling to spot Sue Pollard until I saw your post.

Surprised me at first.

@Mess  thanks, Mess.  I couldn't have identified any of those boys, with the exception of Jonathan Platt whose mother was an infant teacher at Berridge and he looks just like her.  Did he attend FFGS? There are often differences of opinion over faces on old photos.

Alan Allcock is roundly acknowledged as having been very bright.  Nick Clark we have discussed before and I remember his father running the post office.

It was easy for me to recognise Su as I knew her when she was that age because she was one of my sister's best friends...and for decades afterwards.

Thanks for your input.

Jill,

Yes, Jonathan Platt was in my year at Forest Fields Grammar (1961 onwards)

He was in the A stream and IIRC he excelled in Mathematics.

The Forest Fields 1968 Speech Day programme records he went on to Sheffield Uni presumably to study Maths and later had a good career in IT.

I found Paul Sheasby on LinkedIn where he too seems to have made a good career from IT.

I don't think I've ever come across anyone as bright as Alan Allcock.

At school, not only did he grab prizes for Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Latin he was also a talented artist and sportsman. As I recall he was a very modest bloke and married his school sweetheart Penny.

BTW do you remember Graham Stanley from Berridge?

I worked with him in Boots QC labs in D10 Beeston in the late 1960s.

I was also at Salford Uni with him in the early 70s where we both studied Chemistry. He attended my wedding in 1973 and later went on to UMIST to complete his PhD. 

I believe he then worked for Cortaulds in Spondon but I then lost touch.

It's good that you've kept tabs on some of your peers, @Mess

I only know the names of those my sister can remember as this is her year group, not mine. Sadly, her memory isn't very good and she's really not interested.

Mrs Olive Platt, Jonathan's mother, taught one of the top infant classes (what, today, would be Year 2). She didn't teach me but I was just as scared of her as everyone else and she was quite an intimidating lady. I knew she had an older son named Nigel but I didn't know about Jonathan until someone on the Nottinghamshire Lost School Friends site mentioned him. He was born in Chatham in Kent which was, presumably, where his parents were living at the time. His mum returned to Nottingham. I think she may have been widowed. Nigel was born during WW2 and, from what I've been told, was something of an eccentric.

In later years, my mother worked in the offices of a dental laboratory in Nottingham and Jonathan's wife also worked there. Small world. She told my mother what a wonderful, kind and supportive mother in law Olive Platt had been to her. Clearly, she presented a very different persona at school.

A very early Berridge photo, 1916 no less. Jill will comment. The quality is outstanding. One girl on the right of the image didn’t keep still enough and is a little blurred due to the slow shutter speed which was needed with the early film. 

IMG-8513.jpg

• Like 1

The little girl, fourth from the right on the back row, is Edna Foster, born in 1908. She lived all her life in the area and her grandson has posted some fascinating photos on a Nottingham-related Facebook site, all in pristine condition. If only more people treated their family photos with such care.

I have now got to think of a way to make redemption.

I just knew there'd be reprisals. Waiting for the 'boys' to be sent round.

And I promised to behave myself.

( it's a superb photograph though. Thanks Lets).

It was CT who found it, so credit goes to him. Thanks, CT. He did have the good manners to observe that it was before my time! :rolleyes:

The photo is even more interesting when you consider that Berridge was in use as a military hospital around this time.  That is an aspect I would like to know more about. A friend of mine has a photo taken of wounded soldiers at Berridge during the Great War. He's going to let me copy it, when he can locate it.

14 hours ago, Beekay said:

( it's a superb photograph though. Thanks Lets).

No credit due to me Beekay. I merely posted it. CT found it and Jill sent it to me. It’s just a convenient system we have evolved for getting images on here.

Even so Lets, no need for modesty. You,ve got a good team there and it works well, with a system that has proven success. More power to your elbows mate :clapping:

PS. Can make sure Miss Sparrow hears this, coz I think I may have blotted me copybook.