Daybrook barber, Alf.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just caught this topic whilst browsing Daybrook railway Station Have joined up so that I can contribute. I actually lived in the house on the Arnold side of the bridge with a large "Pork Farms" adve

In reply to a post on the first page of this Topic regarding "Rex's" opposite the "white Heart pub" here's a photo of Rex in his Barbers Chair in 1954, Taken by my late Father. Rex is still alive a

Further to this thread, here are a couple of photos of Daybrook Square. The shop was owned by the wife's auntie, and is just out of view on the left.

Posted Images

Here are three pictures I took in the late 1960's of Daybrook Suare after the railway bridge had been demolished - sorry about the quality - my camera was a very cheap model

Whoops the pictures are too big to upload at the moment I will try again!!!

I realise space is a bit tight but 50KB is a bit too small for my individual pictures they are between 50 and 100 KB in size Is there any way I can post them?

To post pictures here you'll need to use one of the photo-sharing sites such as Photobucket or Flickr or Picasa.

Ignore that 50kb limit you find on "attachments". It's a complete waste of time and it's impossible to do anything useful with it.

In reply to a post on the first page of this Topic regarding "Rex's" opposite the "white Heart pub" here's a photo of Rex in his Barbers Chair in 1954, Taken by my late Father.

Rex is still alive and kicking at the time of this post, He attended my Mums Funeral in February of this year..

Rex%20Weston%20in%20Shop%201954_zps8rgjx

• Upvote 5
  • 4 weeks later...

Further to this thread, here are a couple of photos of Daybrook Square. The shop was owned by the wife's auntie, and is just out of view on the left.

Daybrook%20Square_zpsqqgekcu5.jpg

Daybrook%20shop_zpsjbebtwbl.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Roy, I wonder if you ever chanced upon another railway employee at the time of your stay in Daybrook. He was Wilfred Marriot. I think he was a signalman in one of the station boxes.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to say that Alf and Jane were my grandparents. I remember the barber shop clearly, and sitting on a glass counter, and looking at fishing tackle and maggots for sale. I'm not sure when it went, I'm 49 so my memories must date from the early 70s. 

Catfan - I'd be interested to know where you worked with my Gran?  I know she was an upholsterer and having lost my mum there's nobody left to ask.

If anyone is interested I can add a photo of my Grandpa? 

5 hours ago, Kayjay said:

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to say that Alf and Jane were my grandparents. I remember the barber shop clearly, and sitting on a glass counter, and looking at fishing tackle and maggots for sale. I'm not sure when it went, I'm 49 so my memories must date from the early 70s. 

Catfan - I'd be interested to know where you worked with my Gran?  I know she was an upholsterer and having lost my mum there's nobody left to ask.

If anyone is interested I can add a photo of my Grandpa? 

There was an old family firm called Gold & Dunn who had a warehouse on Beech Avenue selling furniture & re-upholstering furniture , for a number of years. I worked there briefly in the late '60s & your mum not an upholsterer but a very skilled seamstress who would sew  the joints on some re-upholstered furniture, Jane being very, very good with needle & thread !. I don't think I ever met her husband Alf who at the time had his shop at Daybrook & later I believe on Radford Boulevard. Did they have a son who was in the Gents Hair dressing business ? I hope this may help you.

Yes thank!  It's amazing to find out there are people who still remember them. I remember my Gran bringing scraps of fabric home and making bags out of them for us, I had a recorder case made out of some blue upholstery fabric I remember!   She also made me and my sister rag dolls and bears. I like to think I've inherited my sewing skills from her. My gran died back in 1979 and grandpa Alf a few years later. You're right, my uncle was a barber (maybe in Calverton for a bit? I can't remember exactly) and he then became a prison officer at Leicester for many years.  All passed away now, we don't have great genes for longevity .....!   

Jane was a lovely lady who could sew anything together, her work with needle & thread was the best.As much as you tried you could not see any stitching. I can picture her now after all those years !

I would love to see a photo of Alf, Kayjay! He was my barber from about 1955 through to my joining the RAF in 1969.  When I joined I told him I needed a haircut for the services and he gave me a wartime pudding basin job!  Made no difference though - I still had to have another hair cut the day I arrived at my training camp :rulez:

My first fishing rod also came from Alf's shop, around 1960. It was a one piece steel rod with a wooden handle and small centre pin reel. I still remember the quill float I had with it too.  I went straight to Arnold Park pond and caught nothing with it.  This seems to have set my fishing catch pattern ever since! 

Looking forward to any photos you may have of Alf or his shop.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

my dad had the cobblers shop across the entrance ,a spirituals  group met upstairs above the shops ,Alf hutching son went to a private school ,hilwyn preparatory school just off Thackeray's lane.the family lived on galway road.