Trying to find history on houses, can anyone help?

Im hoping someone can help me, the house i live in is pretty old.. Its wierdly set out too. Id love to find out the history of the building, How old it is, if anything happend in it or on the street, if the set out has changed, i know that these houses were used as old miners houses and i think our bathroom used to be another bedroom & theres a room coming off the end of my kitchen that we use to put the fridge in etc, i was told this could of been a wash room so id love to find out if this is true as now the seeds been set...

I cant afford to pay to dig up any history & i cant get out the house much as i have a newish born baby & the weathers abit cold to drag her to a library in, is there anywere online i can get the information from?

Thanks for the help in advance! :)

Haha!! How sarcastic :P iv been told you can get the history from the library but like i said, its abit difficalt for me to get to one :(

Based on the information given, not a good idea to publicize your address.

There are some very strange people on the net.

Can you tell us what area you live in?

Members?... Any routes for Pixie to follow ?

...I didnt put my address on here? :S

....Or do you mean dont put my address but provide the area im in?

just type picture the past in search, that will take you to the photo records of nottm/notts/derbys libraries, hundreds of 1,000's of photos there, you should find some of your street, maybe the actual house? and assuming more than one house on the street try putting that in google search? if still worried try putting in a neighbouring street? should lead to a local history group etc and posts, i just tried that with "warwick st nottingham history" and came up with loads of leads, ditto bailey street " ", (just 2 addresses off top of my head) As for the sarcasm, you'll get used to us! lol (no offence intended, which I tried to explain in my pm re safety etc)

I assume at 21, its rented or mortgage?

If you could get your hands on the deeds they would be very interesting.

I copied the deeds to my old house built 1903 before I passed them on

to the estate agent when it was sold. Very interesting.

The deeds will be in Deed Store with a building society if mortgaged.

If rented could be with the landlord/owner.

Which raises the question, are the old deeds to a house really needed for sale?

Surely its just a land registry document now?

Hi, thanks for the replies!

Ill have a look on the picture the past, i never thought of that & iv found some interesting photos of around my area before.. ill see if i can find my street on it! & My house is rented via housing association so ill ring the office up & see if they hold any deeds for the property.. ill be very interested in seeing if it has any history!

Id like to apologise for yesterday, sounding dumb & maybe abit offish - Very tired & still suffering from the good old baby brain, but had a rather good nights sleep last night so imn feeling fresh as a daisy today & more focused :D & i too am quite sarcastic, so im sure ill pic up and get used to all you lot in no time :) lol

Which raises the question, are the old deeds to a house really needed for sale?

Surely its just a land registry document now?

Yep...never seen mine.

Pixie....You have to appreciate on here ...most regular members died before you were born...they were all raised when Victoria was Queen....and still use shillings and feet and inches.... :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Whatever website i use to look at the census.. they try and charge me! :(

...A friend of mine pays to use a website, and hes been trying to help me trace my family tree... STILL cant find my grandmother who should be on the 1911 census :/

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY GANDMA SHE CAN BE FOUND 1881 CENCUS AND THE DISAPEARS IN 1891 REAPPEARES IN 1901 BUT NOT ON 1911 CENCUS MY MUM WAS NOT BORN TILL 1915SO I KNOW SHE WAS ALIVE THEN AND DIED AROUND 1930ISH TRIED OTHER WAYS TO TRY AND FIND HER BUT GETTING NOWEREVERY FRUSTRAITING

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SERCH

Babs, I wonder if her surname is misspelt in 1891 and 2011. You are at the mercy of the transcribers with the censuses, if they misread the handwritten census, they put in the name wrongly. For example, we couldn't find a Birch relative and finally sussed out that the transcriber had put in 'Brick', which meant we didn't stand a chance, even using the 'put in 3 letters and asterisks' if you aren't sure of the name. I do believe some of the transcribing was outsourced to India, I say no more!

Whatever website i use to look at the census.. they try and charge me! :(

If you join the Nottm City Council libraries you can get 1 hour a week free on Findmypast.co.uk which you would otherwise have to pay for. I've been using that for the past year or so, and discovered quite a lot.

And like you I've found relatives who appear in one census, disappear in the next, and then reappear in the next one

I do believe some of the transcibing was outsourced to India, I say no more!

I think that explains most of the occasions where I've got stuck or lost

found her mother younger sister and brother in the radford workhouse in 1891 cencus but not her she would at this time have been 13 to 14 years old and could have been put into service and not included this was after her father died when she was 3 years old. by 1901 she was back living with her mother sister and brother on lee st radford again no sign of her in 1911 but i know thatshe was living in ethel grove netherfield where my mum was born in 1915 anybody else got any tips on other places to look to were i could possibly start getting some clues

Have you tried genesriunited? A friend uses that.. they say theyv found family history to a good couple hundred years ago, although on eome things you have to have a payed membership to view the documents, but i think its only £1something a month. Havent used it myself, i just ask my friend to have a look if i want to find anything :)

I'm a professional researcher and wouldn't bother with Genes Reunited for looking at records. Ancestry and FindmyPast are much better. You might be able to view Ancestry at a local library for free. Ancestry also have some of the 1911 census now, including Notts.

Piggy and Babs If you post some details, I'll have a look, if you like.

anywere on the net that does it for free? or will i have to go upto library in the 'lovely' weather