• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This means someone is in distress.

Lets think about the remake of the 'Dambusters' by Peter Jackson and Stephen Fry, when they get round to seriously making it. The dogs name has already been changed in order to not offend anybody, for

ALAN SILLITOE, World Renowned Nottingham Writer of 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning' - the book spawning the film of the same name A few years back I went to hear Alan give a talk on his life's wor

About 'Fonzies bike' , I read it last night in a "Bathroom book" I'm reading , "Steve Wrights More Factoids " or some thing like it . So I'd be inclined to take it with a pinch of salt knowing him, although he could just mean the same model!

There was no offence taken Ash ! I am more inclined to believe you than him !!

The book was list priced at £6.99 (I paid 99p from the local "Works" bookshop), and the amount of facts that are in it could be loaded onto 4 pages of A4, and you'd still have room for an index , bibliography and a titles page.!!!

ALAN SILLITOE, World Renowned Nottingham Writer of 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning' - the book spawning the film of the same name

A few years back I went to hear Alan give a talk on his life's work at Southwell Library. A dapper, little man in his three piece suit, he was sitting behind a desk; a small bookcase at the back of him in which was displayed his life's work.

He told us that way back in the 50's, with his pension from the Army and his partner Ruth, he had chosen to live in Majorca because the cost of living was reasonable and of course there was the sun.

It was under the palm trees that he wrote 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning' - little was he to know of the book's forthcoming success and its making into a film.

When released the film 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning' generated so much money that the studio was able to begin work on the 'James Bond' films. Alan liked to think that with the success of his first book he'd brought this about.

Incidentally, the lovely actress Shirley Ann Field later became very much interested in politics.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

'Pensioners' Special' tomorrow: 22 / 02 / 2012, 1.30 at the 'Broadway' Cinema, Broad Street, Nottingham.

FILM: 'Carnage' Director: Roman Polanski, 2012

Starring: Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster, John C Reilly

'God Of Carnage', Yasmina Reza's award winning play has been adapted for the screen by Polanski. The film deals with the anger and corruptness lying beneath the respectable behaviour of two New York City couples.

Summoning up the sinister from under the cover of normalcy is something Polanski excels at: 'Rosemary's Baby'.

Cost: £4 (drink and nibbles included) Good Deal

Advice: Get there early - plenty of seats to choose from - as this is a popular venue.

Finally got word back (From somebody perporting to be George Lucas himself !!!!) that there is no UK release date of "Red Tails" , as of yet .

(It came out in the States and Canada on the 20th !!)

Loadsa copies for d'load around.

You've just got to look the part !

I'm buggered for at least 30 years 'cause of my youthful good looks !!!!!...................................... slywink

Was watching "The Red Beret" on tv this morning, crap I know but apart from owt else had a crush on Susan Stephan after I saw it at Futurist aged about 8! anyway noticed today Alan Ladd takes said Waaf out on a BSA M20 500cc combo, ( or it may have been the M21 600cc! lol) either way both had slow revving side valve 4 stroke single thumpers yet when started it sounded like some tinny 2 stroke,c/w with pop pop on over run, obviously overdubed with likes of a villiers engine, I wonder why?

• 5 years later...