Number of views on a topic

How does the software work which counts the number of people who have viewed a thread? And there's also something which obviously counts the number of replies to a thread.

Sometimes they obviously get themselves a bit mixed up. A few minutes ago there was a thread which has 6 replies but nobody had looked at it ;)

views.jpg

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure why every joke (i use that term lightly) posted needs its own heading which in turn knocks interesting topics usually about Nottingham down the pecking order these jokes seem to get very little views and no replies , why could they not all be posted under one heading like jokes .

Discus ?

Rant over !!

morefuckingjokes.jpgjokes.jpg

Red we have discussed same recently.

Joke posters to note.

We do enjoy your jokes but do not create a new thread for each joke.

NOTE: as our database size now, due to valued input from members, rapidly increases.

It will be non Notts history related topics that are deleted.

Last time I checked we had used 800MB of our 1GB web allowance.

We don't want to start archiving searchable historical info to make more room.

Again that's why we don't like unnecessary quotes too.

Mick2me, what about a 'shelf life' for contents in some topics that are not relevant to Nottingham's history?

Jokes for instance could be limited to 12 months or less (6 months) before deletion. There are 23 pages on the Annes Giggles topic going back 5 years.

If members wanted to keep a joke or other topic, they could download to their own computer or USB.

Worked at my last workplace without any issues whatsoever with Department IT Administrators applying the delete button without fear or favour.

Just a thought from a newcomer that will probably create debate but, a suggestion after all.

We are not a Department we are an Archive of Notts History and life in general gleaned from the memories of our members.

There are fun areas of the site like the jokes areas which are viewed short term. The viewing figures show how popular a topic is.

Remember also that some of the viewing figures are search engine bots. Google lives on this site and has done for many years.

When we have moved to new hosting the database has had to be split for upload as it is so large.

The same applies in the event of a site crash and upload.

Many forum sites delete conversations that are older, but due to the nature of this site we do not.

Therefore to conserve space for important historical topics other stuff has to go.

You may also see excessive quotes cut out of postings for the same reason.

The greatest concern at the moment is content including jokes cut and pasted from other sites.

I believe it is this that has started to effect our high Google rating as we are being penalised by the panda.

See... The Panda is watching you!

So I make no apologies for requesting again.

Do not use excessive quotes

Do not quote immediately previous posts.

Do not copy content from other sites and paste it here (Post Links to those articles)

Sorry I spoke.

The post in total was not aimed at you but general readership.

And that we are a victim of our own success

I was away three days and It will take me a week to catch up with all the posts as it is :)

Though I was telling some of the jokes whilst I was in Wales last week.

I tend to agree that a "time limit" on SOME topics (i.e. the jokes), is not a bad idea. That way, we can all tell our favorites again! ;)

Have to agree that the jokes should just be kept on one thread. I've taken to setting my 'view new topics' settings to exclude the giggles page. Each to their own though and that's fair enough. It's fine to see everyday general chit chat too but it does tend to take over quite a few of the threads. Think maybe the 'what I'm having for lunch/the sun's out here today' stuff could be kept together. There is a place for it though and as has been said, it's better than a dead forum. I guess it's hard to maintain a balance.

There's nothing worse than a dead forum!

Though I do worry about Limey, as he has a tendency for Tea coming down his nose upon amusement.

The Jokes area is now locked for starting new threads.

All jokes go in one thread which can be clearly seen.

Jokes area permissions have been updated

Googlebot cannot now see the jokes, so cant penalise us via Google Panda Rules over copied conduct

Joke posts are short term an will be deleted from time to time.

AND THATS WHAT I LIKE :)

TARRAH! :)

• Upvote 1