50s & 60s TV Shows

Aha! Just like the "Yes/No interlude" on "Take Your Pick" With Michael Miles and Bob Danvers-Walker.

Did you know Michael Miles was dead?

"No!"

'BONG' :)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One for Compo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG_5rpX4LTY

'Till Death' showed bigotry for what it was to anyone with half a brain...the trouble is most of the 'anti racist' brigade are too thick to see it...hence the blackboard and black sheep stupidity. Th

Yes, they were a bit scary, Compo but the stories were always great. Just the thing to watch before going to bed...lol

Great for you to put this on mick, made me laugh both times.

As a kid I loved this show: Friday nights at eight o' clock and was it 'The Army Game' on after? There were lots of quiz shows on back then; my favourite was: 'Spot the Tune' with a male quiz master, Jackie (?) and the bosomy Marian Ryan. My sister and I loved to play our version of the show when we were later in bed.

My dad used to go to the pub on Thursday nights and we were allowed to stay up to watch the Army Game - so as I remember it Thursday was Take Your Pick and The Army Game. Of Course I could be lying.

'The Army Game' in the fifties, spawned lots of good actors:

Bernard 'I only arsked' Bresslaw - he was what was called: 'gormless' (not heard that word for a time, perhaps there's no such thing as 'gormless' people in the world today - due to political correctness!)

Michael Medwin

Norman Rossiter

Alfie Bass

Bill Frazer

Clive?

William Hartnell

Charles Hawtree; I came across his place of abode on the South Coast - it had a blue plaque on the wall - apparently he used to throw wild parties in the tiny place, lots of his showbiz friends were invited down from London.

1960s humour...yuk! About as hilarious as Old Mother Riley and George Formby 20 years earlier.Soon to be followed by the sophistication of 'On the Buses'

Satire and damn good writers eventually brought humour into the twentieth century and away from schoolboy humour.Although there was still a niche for the 'Carry on' material.

Don't worry pooh - that style of slapstick humour is still alive and well and living in the USA!

If you want to see American 'humor' at it's best, go on youtube & type in 'Dean Martin Roasts'...................then watch some great humour, lot's of american celeb's supposedly appearing in honour of the person being 'roasted'

'Take Your Pick' was definately on Friday nights at eight o' clock and 'Spot the Tune' was definately on Wednesday nights. If I liked something then I'd remember.

I agree, Take Your Pick was on Friday evenings. Double Your Money (Hughie Green) was on Thursdays.

I think Emegency Ward 10 preceded Take Your Pick on Friday.

Can anyone remember 'Your Life in Their Hands"? Real operations, good job it was only B&W.

Littlebro, thanks for that; I knew I was right because when I was a kid Friday nights was always my favourite. For a start it meant the end of the week, fish and chips for supper and 'Take Your Pick' to look forward to - and that was before the weekend began.

Ta Littlebro. Of course it was Double your Money on Thursdays but I still think the Army Game followed.

BDW also did the commentary for the Crown Film Unit along with Derek Guyler.

The Army Game Cast:

Whatabout Bootsie and Snudge, a spin off from Hut 29?

Firts TV program I saw on TV was the Cisco Kid on a friends set.

First programme on our TV when we switched it on....good old Danial Boone.

Most hated programme?....Songs of Praise that my parents would watch on Sunday evenings followed by Sunday Night at the London Palladium with Bruce Forsythe ( unless decent pop star or group was on!).