• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go under the bridge shown on the original photo, then take the first turn right, and you came to the entrance of Arkwright Street station on the Great Central line. The entrance was nothing more than

You should have took that dodgy kipper back years ago...it's no good expecting a 1'6d refund now...

You could put it that way. But it's a bit like saying Harrods is a shop. The thing about Selectadisc is that they had everything obscure and unknown and weird (and that was the customers as well....)

Although if you go in the place these days you will be hard pushed to find anywhere open. Over half the units - literally - are empty, and most of the others are pound shops and their variants.

The place (Broad Marsh Centre) started ok in the 70s and 80s, but has been on a downhill slide for the past 15/20 years. The only way to solve the problem would be to demolish it and put it out of its misery.

Look at this thread and start at post #44; http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9811&page=3 There are a number of photos I took recently of Broad Marsh and its wide open spaces.

The Mind has been jogged again by the photos at 29# & 49#. We (dare I say, My generation) knew this as The High Level Station. I never caught a train there but did alight there once, I don't remember from were but am pretty certain I came out onto the street close to Andy Bones bike shop on that side of Arkwright Street.

One other picture, Post 21# the Burtons shop on the corner on Broad Marsh. Firstly it was opposite the only decent Hat Shop Nottingham ever had, Dunn & Co., and secondly Burtons Shop was over the best kept public snooker hall Nottingham ever had. This was kept immaculate by a guy named Bill. It was equipped with every conceivable rest etc. some of which you will only ever have seen at Sheffield.

One final reminder of this shop was the 'Famous Heads' which adorned it on both sides. What happened to them? I know that they were stored at the time of demolition and eventually displayed in a stupid area between the Broad March Bus Station/Car Park on a Blue Brick Pillar near where the bus's come out, waiting for vandals. What happened to them next?

• Upvote 1

I remember catching a train from this high level station in 1967 to attend my cousin's wedding in Rugby.

The train was a DMU I recall and we arrived at Rugby Central station after passing over the larger and busier Rugby Midland station.

See http://www.gcrleicester.info/html/trip_to_nottingham___rugby.html

• Upvote 1

Looking at those photos of the Nottingham streets shops etc makes me think there's a good chance of a criminal conviction for whoever deemed the demolition of such? certainly had a gang of hooligans damaged what was once a proud area to that extent and leave the ****hole that now remains they would still be in the nick !

I'm a bit confused by the references to High Level Station. The only station in Nottingham which had High Level in its name was London Road High Level, which was the building that went over London Road near the Canal Street Junction....as the name boards indicate.

high2.jpg

And it looked like this from another angle. the line being the connection from the GC at Weekday Cross to the GN at Sneinton.

ldnrd2.jpg

I've not previously heard of Arkwright Street station being referred to as a high level station; maybe it was a local thing for people who used it.

I once got on the wrong train at London Road High Level, I was intending to get the back line train to Basford North but mistook a Grantham train for it. I got off at Radcliffe and had to wait for a train the other way then get a bus home, very late mother not pleased.

A mate and I used to catch a football special at Bulwell Common that went to High Level, I think it started at Shirebrook. One match the line through High Level was closed and the train went to Arkwright Street instead.

These happenings must have been in the late 1950's or early 1960's.