The great British Drink

I allways celebrate st georges day, abit of a patriot over here! today i popped the english flag out the front bedroom window, We had good old english pie & chips, with gravy. Id of done a roast but i did one yesterday, My days been full of good old british tea because i dont think its acceptable to be on the beer while on your own with a baby all day haha, the tea is still flowing nicely tonight too! Yumm.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I allways celebrate st georges day, abit of a patriot over here! today i popped the english flag out the front bedroom window, We had good old english pie & chips, with gravy. Id of done a roast

I have recently returned from Sri Lanka (Ceylon) where tea is the premier export. I visited a tea plantation and factory where they showed me the dross that goes into making tea bags. They advised m

Great topic. My first wife was a Nottingham gal and was a pretty good maker of tea but occasionally she would blow it. I always kidded her on about warming the pot, boiling water, etc. Sometimes she

My partner only drinks earl grey at home with a drop of milk & sugar, he'll drink normal when around other peoples or for a change at home, I hate the stuff, smells & tastes like liquidised poperie or however its spelt lol! I love mint tea & fruit tea, i have a glass of green tea every now and then but i have to be in the mood for it. PG tips is the favourite for me. Never tried the chinese one, although every time i go to May sum iv allways been tempted to get a pot of green tea, i allways see chinese people in there drinking it, but never white/british?

..A glass? a cup of green tea more like... dear me.

'Lapsang Suchong' is very refreshing Pixie and I can well recommend - served with lemon.

As for the 'very good for you' Green tea, I bought a couple of packets - expensive brand - when it was on offer at the Co-op some time ago and was really looking forward to trying it. Sorry to say I wasn't impressed. Now I'm stuck with two packs of Green tea . . . thumbsdown What a waste!

i think all the mint & fruit ones i buy are twinnings, i dont mind spending that little bit more as i know a box lasts me a while & you can deffonately taste the difference

Can't see a topic "Tea" - whatyer dunwi'it Mick? Or is this the topic that was split from elsewhere perhaps?

I have recently returned from Sri Lanka (Ceylon) where tea is the premier export. I visited a tea plantation and factory where they showed me the dross that goes into making tea bags. They advised me "Always use loose leaf tea - no matter what quality you buy it will always be better than bags."

A tea strainer costs just a few pence from Woolworth's or similar and is no more hassle than sticking bags in cups or pots and having to fish out the soggy remains to dispose of them.

We brought back some great Blue Pekoe, Rainforest and White teas. Julie wanted to buy some "Virgin White Tea" and this plantation is the only one in the world still making it. The tea is untouched by hand, the pickers wear cotton gloves to avoid sweat contamination and they use gold plated scissors to avoid tannin reactions with the steel. She picked up a 50gram box and the price was £24 - She dropped it like a hot iron!

Any good quality loose tea will outdo bag tea. There is a great tea shop in Ironbridge, Shropshire and another in Fort William but I'm sure there must be some in Nottingham. I use Yorkshire tea and sometimes Scottish blend for everyday purposes but for special occasions I like to take out the posh teas. We obtained 2Kg of Ceylon everyday tea from a local market in Candy, Sri Lanka, for a mere £3.45p and it is every bit as good as Twinings Breakfast tea.

For a treat I buy Twinings Assam or English Breakfast tea. I like a strongish brew with milk, no sugar. Take a tip - dump those bags and get some loose leaf tea, it really is no more hassle than bags.

• Upvote 1

Tea bags are all that are available to us, sadly....I used to get Typhoo when I lived in the UK, can't recall the brand we bought in Oz.

You should also try "Red bush" or "Rooibos" tea from South Africa. Naturally sweet and does not need milk - it is readily available in the U.K. these days and makes a pleasant change to regular tea. Also a good source of anti-oxidants!

I can get loose tea in most supermarkets here - typicall labelled "Yorkshire" tea, not sure of the brand. I typically load up with Tetley's tea bags that I get through an on-line British store (along with Marmite, Bovril and Penguins!)

I refuse to drink tea on my visits to the US.

Orange Peco tips or summat! and made with luke warm water put in a cold metal jug.

Then the tea bag dangled in it.

I will drink tea made with tea bags with we have taken but it still does not taste good.

Must be the water? Even their Coca Cola has a taste to it.

You should also try "Red bush" or "Rooibos" tea from South Africa. Naturally sweet and does not need milk - it is readily available in the U.K. these days and makes a pleasant change to regular tea. Also a good source of anti-oxidants!

I can get loose tea in most supermarkets here - typicall labelled "Yorkshire" tea, not sure of the brand. I typically load up with Tetley's tea bags that I get through an on-line British store (along with Marmite, Bovril and Penguins!)

Yeah, but they cater for a large ex pat cummunity as does Florida and California Eric, I'm the only ex pat I know of down here, plus this is a rural southern community, coffee drinkers and only drink ice tea... LOL.

I love coffee but it hates me, so I have to drink tea or water..

I've had the Orange Pekoe stuff many a time in Canada and it's ok enough. As is often said, they just can't get the hang of using boiling water with it though. This always confounded me, particularly when one looks at the great variety of food on offer, it's a simple enough business.

Another interesting post, Compo. I understand what you're saying about the quality of the tea but I don't mind using a teabag. I've been having a 400 bag of teabags delivered by Ringtons for a while. Probably what's been swept off the floor but It's just what your used to, isn't it. On one visit to Hong Kong we went into China and tasted the local tea. It's not something I'd like to have first thing in the morning. I used to go to a place called Embrach which is near Zurich in Switzerland. I had a friend called Kurt who was married to an English girl and I always had to take her as much Typhoo tea as I could. She told me that she just couldn't get a decent cuppa and really missed her favourite, Typhoo. My Mum always had Typhoo but loose, not in a teabag.

jackson says she has tasted lots of different tea's and enjoyed most of them so I think I'll have to go on a tea tasting party somewhere to find out for myself. Phew, all this talk about tea, I need to get the kettle on..!!

The tea posts were split from the St Georges day Topic

Good idea Mick2me.

Wooo! a whole thread devoted to tea! I do love my tea, my partner is the same, Whenever we visit his parents our mugs are never empty, the kettle is back on before weve even taken our last mouthful, his mum even has half a cupboard full of all different tea.. but i allways stick to my good old typhoo, pg tips or yorkshire! Although as much as i do like yorkshire tea, im not much of a fan of their yorkshire gold brand. My partner will only drink twinnings earl grey & i allways have pg tips in, i buy the big boxes.. they last ages! on a relaxing afternoon, ill even make myself a pot of tea if theres nothing to do around the house. 21 going on 80...... i even knitted a tea cosy for it! lol. Cant wait for baby to be old enough to start having her beaker/cup of tea, Cant believe she was 7 months old yesterday, the time flies by so fast!!

Tea is (sadly) more of a British institution than St George.

Regarding American tea, I think they are still using that stuff from out of Boston Harbour!

Aye, i agree mick.. I love all things 'british' but will allways regard myself as english! Although, i allways associate tea to england & not scotland or wales?

Speaking of knitting tea cosies, Mary knitted one on our trip out west last summer - here is its unveiling:

img_2446.jpg

Love the pic Limey! Great view & what a sweet little tea cosy!

yes although we all think of tea as an english drinkwe have to remember that it was brought from china and india many years ago and was addopted by us very expensive hence the locks on tea caddies to stop the sevents useing it.

i have not been able to drink tea since being pregnant with my first son used to make me sick and i still dont like the smell i only drink coffee or hot chocolate as hot drinks now.