The great British Drink

I couldn't touch it when I was pregnant either! Watching milk go into water made me gag! But I braved it n had a cup of tea in hospital soon as I gave birth, it was the best cuppa of had in my life so far!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I allways celebrate st georges day, abit of a patriot over here! today i popped the english flag out the front bedroom window, We had good old english pie & chips, with gravy. Id of done a roast

I have recently returned from Sri Lanka (Ceylon) where tea is the premier export. I visited a tea plantation and factory where they showed me the dross that goes into making tea bags. They advised m

Great topic. My first wife was a Nottingham gal and was a pretty good maker of tea but occasionally she would blow it. I always kidded her on about warming the pot, boiling water, etc. Sometimes she

Didnt like tea in England my wife drinks Liptons but i can honestly say it makes me shudder just thinking about drinking it

I did try Iced tea/Sun Tea but that was not my cup of tea either.

I drank Instant & Camp coffee in the uk but then dicovered the good stuff here. Even bought myself a industrial coffee maker lol

Great topic. My first wife was a Nottingham gal and was a pretty good maker of tea but occasionally she would blow it. I always kidded her on about warming the pot, boiling water, etc. Sometimes she would miss one of the steps and a "Conversation" would result which my daughter referred to as a "Tea war." She even wrote poems about them. One time she made tea with a tea bag which had no tea in it. She did not notice, needless to say the tea was somewhat weak! and a tea war resulted. Another time I got on her case because my cup was half empty. Making some comments about the tide being out etc. Later we found that when I had nipped out of the room the dog had drunk half my cup and I blamed her. Funniest time (to me anyway) was when I told her that to have a proper taste tea MUST be stirred clockwise. She always used her left hand and stirred anti-clockwise. Her face was a study. :-) Good old days. Good memories. Thanks for bringing it up.

• Upvote 1

Tea bags are all that are available to us, sadly....I used to get Typhoo when I lived in the UK, can't recall the brand we bought in Oz.

It would probably have been Bushells or Lan Choo.

Personally I favour Lan Choo or Twinings English Breakfast.

It must be made in a pot though.None of yer teabags fer me.

Baz :ninja:

Another point of order is Milk in first or last. I put mine in first to help it emulsify with the addition of hot tea liquor. Always stir clockwise unless you stir anticlockwise.

SWMBO always fills the cups/mugs about ¾ full. She then puts the mug down on the table so that from where I sit I can't see any tea in the mug. After some minutes I get the reminder "Your tea's gone cold".

I spent some time in a military prison for a misdemeanor (AWOL from a top security unit). One guard sergeant was a bit of a sadist and his favourite was having only 6 grains of sugar in his tea. He would stand over you and watch closely as you counted out six individual grains of sugar with tweezers, then check the number before allowing you to put the grains in his tea. :crazy:

Had a bit of a do with SWMBO this morning. In Sri Lanka I bought a 500g decorated tin of Waltrim Estate High Grown 'Broken Orange Pekoe Fannings' tea especially for use when we have guests this summer. She opened it this morning ARGH! :aggressive:

I had forgotten that. 'Milk & Sugar in first' is the rule.

Sadly cant be applied to tea bags in a cup.

Only mashed in the pot.

And you tell any yank that, and the wont believe understand you

I haven't used sugar in tea in years, weaned myself off of sugar in the mid 70's.

I'm having fun with that Apple TV2, last night I found the old movie "Till Death Us Do Part" had to laugh at one scene, Alf had been given a cup of tea, took a swig, Uhhhh, no milk, she said we have none, so he nicked some out of the babies bottle..

Milk & sugar in first? Its teabag, sugar followed by water and give a good stir THEN the milk. The sugar just gathers at the bottom if milk goes in first :(

Tea bag in cup??? That's even worse than teabag in pot. How can you get a decent mash (brew) with such a small, confined amount of water?

I know .. but i dont have time to mash up a proper pot of tea all the time. I allways use pg tips, i put a teaspoon of sugar with the teabag, pour water in & leave for a couple of mins before adding milk, stiring and then finally removing the bag. still get a nice decent brew!

I always warm my cup.

Tea bag in

Boiling water

Warm spoon with more boiling water.

Stir

Add sugar

Let brew

Get milk out of fridge

Give final stir

Ditch tea bag

Add milk

Drink tea

Now, when i make a pot of tea i allways warm the pot, the first time i made one for me and my partner he looked at me very strangely and asked why i heated the pot first, tried to explain & he said he was just stupid. & heres me thinking he was a true tea drinker!

So you could pull your tea bag out, duh! Then again I tried one once ended arguing with a dripping tea bag.

One of the reasons you can't get decent tea in America? EVERYBODY knows you can't make tea in the harbor without warming the harbor first!

I am a purist too - always warm the pot, always use a pot. I prefer loose tea, but tea bags are O.K. Milk in the cup first, and none of that sterilised stuff - makes tea taste terrible!

We have relatively hard water in Michigan. Not good for taking a shower (but we have a water softener) but perfect for making tea - and beer too!

I also found US milk lacking in summat?

It seems watered down Mick...Maybe something to do with being "homogenised"?????

Compo, if you mean US milk, no, everyone and his dog has a fridge over here...LOL

You can get sterilized, UHT etc, but most milk counters at stores have homogenised milk, usually in quart plastic containers. There's also 2% for those that want white water.........Tasteless!!

We buy a weeks supply and freeze it, I keep three "floating" in our second fridge, thawing out and three in our day to day fridge.

I mean't half gallon plastic containers.

1% or 2% or whole milk ,Even lactade which is milk with no milk or Soy milk & not to forget my fave Chocolate milk.

Give it a year over here & when you go back to England its like drinking CHEESE.