Every morning on my way to work, I drive past the house where Barnes Wallis was born. It has a plaque affixed to the exterior. Lovely house. Not far away is a pub named after him. Odd that...he was a lifelong tee totaller!

It was a combination of low trajectory,speed and back spin that allowed the bombs to skim across the water and upon hitting the dam wall the backspin of the bomb effectively "stuck" the bomb to the dam,the actual weight of the bouncing bomb (Upkeep) was 7 ton and barrel shaped

Rog

Our friend Beefsteak with a 22.000lb Grandslam earthquake bomb designed by Barns Wallace

Ian5.jpg

Rog

• Upvote 1

I just found out the bomb dropped was 10 tons which is 44,800lbs, bit larger than Barnes Wallace's bomb.

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Wallis was born on Butterley Hill in Ripley. His father was a GP but the family soon moved back dahn south!

I knew he was born in Ripley but I didn't know there was a pub named after him. Has the pub been so named recently?

The American M O A B (recently dropped on Nangarhar ) was a development of the Barnes Wallis WW11 Grandslam and Tallboy bombs issued to 617 squadron. It weighs slightly less than the British Grandslam. How the explosive power compares I don't know.

I may be accused of being a conspiracy theorist but I suspect it's more for the benefit of North Korea than to have any useful effect in Afghanistan.

• Upvote 2

I dare say you're right, but it was dropped over an underground network of tunnels and bunkers used by the enemy, a bit of "Look at this Kim, we blew the crap out of the enemy who thought he was safe in underground bunkers, and we didn't need to use our battlefield tactical nukes either" I dare say that bomb caused more damage than battlefield tactical nukes without any after problems.