school or sunday school days out

I remember three 'trips' when I was at school. Two of them were to the Gaumont cinema. One time to see the film of the Coronation, in 1953. The other time to see the pre-war feature film The Hurricane, starring Dorothy Lamour and Jon Hall. Great film, but why we were taken to see it I cannot imagine. I think I might have been on a trip to the Raleigh.

The other outing was in the early '50s, to the old Playhouse to see a matinee performance of The Ghost Train. I can remember absolutely nothing about it, apart from the fact that I did go. I have sometimes wondered if any of the actors performing in it became big names later in their career. To this day I have never been to see another play.

#26. Think of the poor horse. Even before the lads and their cases got on, there would be about a ton of wood to pull.

At Trent Bridge Juniors in 1961 my first school trip was to be a cruise on a canal boat along the River Soar, nature-watching. First thing in the morning, eagerly sitting with my packed lunch, our teacher told us there was limited seating and not everyone could go. About six of us, including yours truly, unfortunately had to spend the day with another class doing lessons instead. Absolutely gutted, what a miserable teacher and it wasn't even Miss Slack!

The first long school trip at Trent Bridge Juniors was to London where I spewed up on the coach, I was not popular. We did the Planetarium, which was impressive, Madame Tussauds next door where the new Beatles figures looked nothing like. We finished after a long queue at the Tower of London to see jewels or something. My second trip at Juniors in 1965 was to Alton Towers, no rides in them days, just a playground, a rec and an old Traction engine to sit on. The best bits on the trips were always the mucking about on the bus.

At Mundella I was also gutted to miss a trip to see The Battle Of Britain film for history, I got a migraine and was sent home. I never managed to get a migraine when it was Maths. The last trip I remember was in sixth form, we went to the Playhouse to see Peter O'Toole in Waiting for Godot. God, oh so boring and he never even turned up! At least we managed to get a few pints in The Buttery before we went in... and then a few more after! Great times.

• Upvote 2

At secondary school, when we were in the third year, those of us who had chosen to do O Level chemistry were offered the chance to go on a trip to the iron works. I think it cost half a crown. My mum was quite happy for me to go but thought half a crown was rather a lot if we were only going to Stanton. In fact the trip was to Stavely, near Chesterfield. It was great, with lots of noise and loads of molten metal! No high viz jackets or hard hats. We were shown around the works. This would never be allowed now. Also Stavely works has closed. We were very fortunate to have this experience.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

Saw it on the news last night. Absolutely disgusting, it's such a damn pity that the perpetrators weren't all trapped inside squealing and wailing until they fried most painfully. 

On 20 June 2015 at 11:41 PM, BilboroughShirley said:

At secondary school, when we were in the third year, those of us who had chosen to do O Level chemistry were offered the chance to go on a trip to the iron works. I think it cost half a crown. My mum was quite happy for me to go but thought half a crown was rather a lot if we were only going to Stanton. In fact the trip was to Stavely, near Chesterfield. It was great, with lots of noise and loads of molten metal! No high viz jackets or hard hats. We were shown around the works. This would never be allowed now. Also Stavely works has closed. We were very fortunate to have this experience.

We went on an A level Chemistry trip to Stavely steel works. When they tapped the blast furnaces there was a huge cloud of sulphur dioxide that made us all choke. The guide told us that the men who worked there lost so much fluid they would typically have 4 pints st the pub opposite before going home. Our chemistry master wouldn't let us try it - even though some of us were already 18......

• Like 1