• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...That caused a bit of a flurry....what about...Arrow bars, Lucky bags, fruit salad and black jacks...(not sure if thats pc now) ha'penny chews...Caramac....(recent comeback, but somehow not the same

Thank you ....lol

Remember the 'Smokers Set's Santa would leave us in our pillowcase? Ironic isn't it feeding ourselves all those chocolate cigarettes, cigars etc and years later the anti-smoking campaign was in full

I loved Spanish Wood, as a kids we'd chew it for hours til it looked like a horses tail, great for spitting contests too, had some not long ago from a shop in Louth, it was horrible, has it changed or is it me??

PIGGY HAD SOME SPANISH WOOD AND KALI A FEW MONTH AGO BEACH BUM IT WAS SO HARD IT WAS IMPOSIBLE TO CHEW HE THREW IT AWAY. SEEMMED TO ME IT WAS RECONSTUTED LIKE A DOG CHEW NOTHING LIKE IT USED TO BE WHEN WE WERE KIDS. REMEMBER THE LITTLE SWEET SHOP ON MEADOW RD NEAR THE SCHOOL,

CAN ANY ONE REMEMBER THE FLAVOURED STAWS WE USED TO BUY TO PUT IN OUR MILK AT SCHOOL STRAWBERRY , BANANA OR CHOCOLATE THEY WERE PINK YELLOW OR BROWN STRAWS WITH LIKE A PICE OF FELF RUNNING UP THE MIDDLE AND THIS WAS WHAT FLAVOURED THE MILK AT BREAKTIME

Anyone remember some dudoos back then called: 'Jockey Club'? They were small and square and pastel colours, tasted scented; 6d a quarter. :)

When I describe them, people just do not believe that they ever existed!

are they the ones that were chalk looking and cut in the shapes of diamonds clubs spadesand hearts and were realy hard to chew

I remember the the sweet shop on Meadow Rd, think it was called The Tuck Shop, a favourite from there was a knickerbocker glory, on a Sunday my dad would stop there on his way back from sugarbeet and get tizer and vanilla ice cream, served together, yummy.

Bazooka bubble gum, with cartoon of G.I. Joe on the inside of the wrapper.

That was "Bazooka Joe" , you used to save up the comics, send them off for some amazing stuff. X-Ray specsand Sea Monkeys, the list goes on , but you get the idea !!!!................ slywink

Traditional sweet shop in Southwell (Suthell) mentioned on here somewhere.

Just a few times !!

And my favourites that you no longer see. Aztec and Texan bars.

Aztecs were a bit like topic but instead of nuts they had raisins in them , Texans were nougat that "You chew reeeeeaaaal slow " !

As kids my brother and I would have sixpence each to spend on 'sweeties',on a Sunday afternoon, in preparation to watch the movie on the 'steam telly'.

My mum would buy a 1/4 lb of 'dairymaid' chocolate coated caramels. We finished our 'sweeties' way before the movie started,and dived into the 'dairymaid'.

Mum would pull out a bag of 'Radiance' hazelnut caramels,which we kids did not like.

Haven't thought of that in 55 years, thanks for the memory jolt.

My mum and grandma hated to see me with a mouthful of bubble gum but I adored the sweet, pink stuff, especially when it was new and hard and you had to make it pliable, in order to blow bubbles.

I well remember the day I learnt how to blow bubbles; to say I was ecstatic is putting it mildly, more like I was on Cloud Nine!

I once blew a bubble so big O that when it burst, it covered my face! :biggrin:

I remember buying large bubble gum in a sweet wrapper but what was it called? can't remember the name it was sort of roundish shape.

I know the one you mean , it was in a blue, red and yellow 'twisty type wrapper', ie , you pulled on both ends of the wrapper and the sweet dropped out, but it wasn't "Hubba Bubba" though. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called though. (Bot the word 'Blo' spelt incorrectly comes to mind.)

Hubba Bubba was a lot later (Late 70s) invention, that you could blow massive bubbles with.

(I was never allowed chewing a bubble gum as a kid !)