Favourite comics/characters

Reading the 'Tuffees' thread and hearing of how people spent their pocket money made me realise how much of mine went on comics. I was allowed two comics a week on the family newspaper order but spent a lot of my spare cash on American DC and Marvel comics, Batman, Superman, X-Men et al.

I began, like many I suspect, with the Beano and Dandy with the Bash Street Kids and Dennis the Menace and it went from there. What were your favourites?

Beano for me, Dennis was my hero................................still is!! ( just cleaning my Dennis the Menace Fan Club badge as we speak!! )

The Hotspur.

The Eagle with Dan Dare, Digby and the Mekon.

Not forgetting the Beano and the Dandy.

Please Scotty...beam me back!

Without a doubt.

DC Comics, any Batman Superman, Superboy and the like.

If I had the DC comics that I read in the 60s, they would now be worth a fortune.

Whizzer and Chips, Dandy and Beano (A gang of us joined the Dennis the Menace Fan Club/ Gnashers Fang Club and The Desparate Dans Pieaters Club as a joke at the age of around 19 at Raleigh !)

As they years passed by, I graduated from the Beano and Dandy to the likes of the Beezer and Topper. Later on the comics like The Hotspur and The Victor were devoured every week.

Who can forget Alf Tupper, the Tough of the Track?

Trained on fish and chips, slept under flyovers.

Alf+Tupper+2.jpg

Alf_chips.JPG

1. Looks like Alf Tupper was drawn by the same artist as another character whose name I'm sure someone will remember. He was a soldier in WWII and used to take on a whole platoon of Germans single handed. Name please?

2. Anyone remember the name of the DC comics superhero that was the same as Superman but his nemesis was Lead instead of Kraptonite?

Beefsteak: I had a Pie Eaters club badge in my late twenties. Don't recall what happened to it though.

1. Looks like Alf Tupper was drawn by the same artist as another character whose name I'm sure someone will remember. He was a soldier in WWII and used to take on a whole platoon of Germans single handed. Name please?

Captain Hurricane?

captain_hurricane.jpg

• Upvote 1

2. Anyone remember the name of the DC comics superhero that was the same as Superman but his nemesis was Lead instead of Kraptonite?

Don't know that one. Doesn't lead protect Superman from Kryptonite's deadly radiation?

One of my favourite DC comics was "Metal Men". Can't remember much about them now except that Lead always got melted.

After the 'Beano ,Dandy,and Topper', started to buy the 'Classic' comics,so well illustrated.

Once sent away for the 'Foot locker' of toy soldiers,from the add on the back page,what a 'rip off'.

Can anyone remember any sci/fi, fantasy ' comics ' that were printed in the Seventies? I think they were in a comic strip format. Sorry, I can't remember any titles.

Can anyone remember any sci/fi, fantasy ' comics ' that were printed in the Seventies? I think they were in a comic strip format. Sorry, I can't remember any titles.

Y'mean these ?? 00161b06j.jpg

Ha Ha, my parents would have gone barmy if I took them home Kev.....I was only a young teenager!!! I think some were called Astounding Tales? Or something like that.