First day (back) at school

I remember September being a traumatic time.

Returning to school. New school year, new class.

What do you remember about return to school or your first day at school?

First day at school memories?

Abandoned by my mother....strange people....tears....playing in a sand pit in the class room.......................Guess kindergartens these days relieve much of that trauma of the first day at school.

I remember battling with my mum on the way down the road; I was convinced it wasn't a good idea but she disagreed. A lady we passed in the street looked across at us and my mum said something like "yes, he's just starting"

Amazingly, the school gate we were aiming for is still there, and hasn't changed very much (although the flats in the background hadn't been built then)

https://maps.google....2,67.17,,1,0.98

:biggrin: What a lovely Topic to write upon:

My little granddaughter aged 5, has just started back to school; she's moved up from Reception to Infant 1. She's so proud of herself, she couldn't wait to get back to school - in fact she ran there! :biggrin:

PS: It's wonderful when kids love school, rather than dread it; to actually Love Learning has to be a good thing.

Started at Whitemoor infants in January 1954 - at that time you started in the term you turned 5, rather than the school year. I don't remember it being particularly traumatic, and can remember teacher (Miss Maltby) and a number of the kids - which is strange, because I was only there until July, after which we moved to Long Eaton.

First day at Mikado Road, Sawley - headmistress Miss Cowgill, class teacher Miss Dobbs (later Mrs Birch). A lad who lived across the road from us hated school and would slip out after his mam had left him at the school gates. I was shy, but plucked up courage to ask another lad who I knew lived up our street if I could walk with him. His reply, "If you do I'll kick you up the bum all the way home!" We remained best of friends until I left school in 1966.

There was also another boy who was a bit free with his feet and kicked me on the shins a few times. My mam saw the bruises and asked about them. Then she marched me up to his house and confronted his mam. Of course "X" denied doing it - but his mam, after apologising to my mam, turned to me and said "If 'e does it again, me duck - you kick 'im back - and kick 'im 'arder - yer've got my permission!"

When I started school you went the day after your 5th birthday, no matter where in the year it landed. I went into the classroom and the teacher asked the other kids if anyone knew me, my friend Sheila Cook said she did, so I was placed next to her. She being 7 days older, was a veteran and had been there a whole week before me!

When my eldest started school in Radcliffe on Trent, he did not want to go, and latched on to every lamp post between our house and the school. I had to pry his fingers off, to the amusement of passing mums and kids.

• Upvote 1

I remember dreading going back to school - every year! In retrospect, I actually liked it once I was there, but getting there on that first day was always worse than a trip to the dentist for me!

I think all she's going to do is twazzle the lines up. There's a Nottingham word for you!

I reckon they'd have said 'twizzle' in these 'ere parts.

Of course the technical term for conkerists was always to exclaim 'tags' in order to gain an extra shot.

It's a tough old conker world out there and only the fittest survive...