I have just watched the opening of George Gently. Caption said 1964 yet as far as I could tell the houses all looked late 60's or 70's. Were there blocked paved drives in 64?

The only reason I picked up on it was I saw Martin Shaw on the One Show in the week and he was saying how much attention to detail they go to with the sets costumes etc. We moved to a new house in 1971 and it was very much like the opening shots.

I think some form of "block paving" has been around for longer than you may realise.

I have not seen the programme you are on about though.

But don't forget that some streets in Nottingham were block paved in Victorian times.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM011946&prevUrl=

You can hardly equate block paving to cobbles Bubbly..Cobbles were laid forever,to take the wear and tear of carts and iron wheeled vehicles,not the twenty odd years you can expect from modern blocks.

PS. If you want some real cobbles today like the Victorians made,the majority come from India.

For the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen the programme (which included me), there is an episode currently on iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk...The_Lost_Child/

The opening titles say 1968, and I reckon the style of house just about scrapes into that period. You can see the driveway block-paving which I think is what letsavagoo is referring to; and I'm not sure if that kind of thing was available then.

The caption does say 68. I miss remembered it as 64 and I guess the houses do just about scrape 1968 as Cliff Ton points out. The picture that bubble wrap links is Salsbury Street not far from where I was born and raised. I think if you look carefully the pavement is paved with those 'black bricks with the diamond patterns in them. We had them in the backyard but not on the streets which had paving slabs. Most side streets were cobbled. Still looks to modern for the 60's to me. There were nowt like that in Radford as I recall.

On this point, the road I moved into some 25 years ago used to have attractive York paving slabs on the pavements. Quite some years back the council in their wisdom, and to doubtless save money on repairs, decided to tarmac the lot. Deary me.

Yes the pavement tarmac is not a good look is it. I much preferred the slabs. Some years ago when I lived in Bobbers Mill on a small Close, the road was re-tarmacked for the first time in years. I had been in a right state and looked super. Within 2 days Diamond Cable came and dug trenches and holes all over.

I had a little look at this subject. In Edinburgh as kids, we were always told that the roads were constructed with granite 'setts', not to be referred to as cobblestones or cobbles.

Terminology

'Cubes and setts, cobbles and cobblestones. The terms seem to be interchangeable, depending on your location. There's a whole range of regional terms, too, such as "Cassies" or "Nidgers" in Scotland, and "Belgian Block" in some strange places in southern England. The terms refer to blocks of natural stone, hewn from a quarry, in a range of sizes and rock types, and "cobbles" or "cobblestones" is also the name given to large, rounded beach pebbles 200-400mm in size, which are sometimes called 'Duckstones'. These rounded 'cobbles' are discussed on a separate page. The general public tend to refer to the gritstone 'Hovis Loaf' type as Cobbles, although the correct term is 'Setts' - these range from 100x100mm to 200x250mm in size, and have an average depth of 150-200mm.'

http://www.pavingexp...com/setts01.htm

For the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen the programme (which included me),

I watched it all the way through but never noticed you?

Did you have a bit part Cliff?