Well I never - looking for Nostalgia

Hi All

My wife and I with 4 kids in to left Nottingham 23 years ago, lived in Mapperley/Carlton /Gedling area's over the years there growing up, getting married etc.

We now live in sunny West Oz and love it. Been retired for 10 years and now spend a lot of time travelling this big brown land in our RV.

Kids all grown up, grand kids galore, well 11 anyway !

Just come across this site and never having got Nottm out of my blood thought I'd give it a go.

Bye for now

BJ

Welcome banjo48. Your comment about "sunny West Oz" will probably make everyone back here jealous, because it's currently grey and cold.

If you have any interesting memories or thoughts about Nottingham, let's hear all about it

welcome banjo i also spent the first 22 years of my life living in netherfield carlton and a a lot of time in gedling as my dad worked gedling pit and had a lot of friends up on gedling

As I said I left good old Nottm 23 years ago, physically anyway, never really got the place out of my blood ! and don't think I ever will.

Miss the pork pies, real stilton cheese, a real pork sausage roll, yes I like my food Lol!

Love Australia too though and it has been very good to us, the kids have all done great here and are "true blue aussies".

Still have an eldest son in Sherwood Vale.

My wife's only been back once, for my mums funeral and doesn't miss it at all ! Me I'm planning another trip maybe next spring, just love the uk in spring with all the hedgrows bursting with growth.

I worked at Gedling colliery for 18 months when I first came out of my apprenticeship as an electrician, met my wife at Gedling miners welfare ! her dad was a miner there.

When I come over (was there last July) I love to visit all the old haunts. Mind there has been a lot of change since we left some not so good.

Could not believe all the pubs that have closed, Grey Goose Arnold lane, Belle vue- Woodborough road, and many more !

Carlton pub on Valley road has a housing estate in its car park !

Colemans, Maypole yard, Boat Club, Beachcomber nightclub, Bierkeller opposite midland station, wow talk about nostalgia !

Sounds like I'm a boozer but not really just the old nightspots we all used to go,

Still got a brother in law in Burton Pastures so usually stay there.

Thanks all for the welcome.

Brian

Another (belated) welcome, Banjo.

Interested to read of your trip back to Nottingham. You're right in that we have lost a lot of familiar things that we enjoyed in the past. Always considering the nature of this site - nostalgia - I wondered if there were any things you could point to that had improved about Nottingham?