Another Nottingham institution is closing its doors

Dixon & Parkers are closing.

Getting fitted-out at D&P (then on Friar Lane) was one of the landmarks in your childhood. New blazer, new tie and all the other gubbins as you moved from one school to another.

I think D&P must be ust about the last of the local retailers to close. It was always Sisson & Parker's for your books and stationery; Smith Englefield for your bag; Gunn & Moore for your sports kit and Barton's for the bus to and from school.

And when you left School and started work. If you were 'on the tools' you got them from the tool shop on Station Street.

What was it called? Hutchinsons or something. Now long gone.

During the 70s/80s there was a youngish chap worked at Hopkinson's Hardware who was a first class folk singer. Can't remember his name but he had a fantastic and powerful voice.

I used to visit Hopkinsons almost daily in the 70's, my employer had an account so any hardware or special screws, threaded rod etc. we picked up on the way to the job.

My mums next door neighbour worked at Halls on Derby road, she was there for years. Her name was Audrey.

Mum got my uniforms from D&P in the 60's

:) I well remember D & P's Children's School Outfitters on Friar Lane and my mum taking me there, late fifties to be fitted for a school blazer.

The one we chose was cherry red, 100% wool and cost over £40; a fortune in those days but well worth it because the blazer was beautiful.

Back then there was a frequently used superstitious saying: 'Never Cast A Clout 'til May is Out'; I was simply dying to wear the blazer and willing like mad for 'Flaming June' to arrive.

I do recall though the weather being particularly good that year and I could wear 'My Beautiful Blazer' - complete with school badge - well before superstition allowed!

A Classy shop was D & P's, Friar Lane; expensive but quality goods only. :)

Talking of left-handed screw threads, I lost a nut from the head of my petrol strimmer. I struggled to find a replacement in my nuts & bolts tin, until I realised that it was a left-handed nut that was missing and mine were all right-handed threads :( I was forced to search throughout the garden where I had been strimming for ages, until I finally found the missing left-hand thread nut.