A minimum price will affect booze at ALL price levels. If the cheapest goes up to the same price as the next bracket then that bracket will go up by a similar amount in order to maintain the price differential.

The retired and low paid workers are the ones being targeted here, NOT binge drinkers on the streets at weekends.

Well said Compo

• Upvote 1

Never mind beer - over here petrol is about $3.50/gallon, but bottled WATER is at least $1.00/pint - or about $8.00/gallon!

well its allways good to remember that aldi will still have the cheaper alternatives to our favourite booze! Their own gin and ameretto tastes exactly the same as brand name stuff but for a fraction of the price.

That's just the point Pixie, they are the prices that are being hiked !! (My cider tastes exactly the same as Strongbow, now it's going to be priced the same too!!)

I doubt that Beefy! If the cheap one goes up you can guarantee the next price bracket will go up too - so your drink will definitely be more expensive than your present cider price and strongbow will cost even more :(

Just saying even though the prices will be going up, im sure Aldi will remain that little bit cheaper... even though their prices will be rising! Good job the motherbear got well stocked during the offers earlier this year, a cupboard full of all sorts of spirits and she doesnt even drink! Im sure she'll let me nab a bottle to get me through the festive period! Best to make the most of the 'special offers' (if it actually works out cheaper) while their on.

Just been to Morrisons and bought a bottle of Baileys for 12 quid, a bottle of dry sherry for a fiver, a bottle of my 3 poundish cider, 2 cases of Tetleys for 6 pounds each, a case of Greene King Abbot for 8, oh and a bottle of white wine for SWMBO, after all we can't let the little lady go without , now can we ?........................ slywink

Not a drop in the house...never has been. Saves me a fortune I guess.

Any vinegar ?............................. slywink

• 2 years later...

You want cheap booze? Just get some demi-johns and then go scrumping or BlackBerrying. After initial expense on equipment, you'll get cheap booze and it's very nice. Especially banana wine which caused me to have to carry my wife to bed.