Bygone medicines & cure-alls

the thing i use for sore throats is raspberry vinigar dave makes it now from his mums old recipe and its nice on yorkshire pudding to my fiend adds a bit more sugar and thickens it a bit more and puts it on ice cream.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a tip that works for athlete's foot, I suffered bad with it for years the regular over the counter stuff just kept it at bay, but I still had smelly feet. Use Vick vapour rub, it does work, cl

the thing i use for sore throats is raspberry vinigar dave makes it now from his mums old recipe and its nice on yorkshire pudding to my fiend adds a bit more sugar and thickens it a bit more and puts

'Virol' was the same as: 'Cod, Liver Oil and Malt' - as a child, loved this stuff.

I guess it was Laudanum - Tincture of Opium - pretty potent stuff.

Now i know why I always slept so well at grans house LOL!

My mum used to make rasberry vinegar, brilliant stuff for a sore throat !

Oil of Cloves for a toothache. Still used today.

not one from back in the day but worth trying next time you get bungled up with cold or flu, make a lemsip, pop a lemon locket sweet into it... blows ya head off but does the trick nicely!

Back in my day (that sounds familiar) if you had a toothache at school, you were sent down to the Domestic Science rooms and you were given a clove and you chewed on that. Soon, toothache gone.

SWMBO cracked a tooth in India some years ago. The pharmacist gave her a bottle of Oil of Cloves and it took the pain away very quickly. burnt like hell though.

I have a tub of evening primrose oil capsules, i never take em and for the past 5-6 weeks iv suffered from headaches and migraines, Next time im goin to take a couple of those!

I was a bit of a sickly kid in early life, so I had malt extract every day for years ! also remember little bottles of "real" orange juice concentrate I used to have. Oh and as mentioned the dreaded cod liver oil.

Mind I take super high strength Krill oil nowadays for my arthritis and swear by it !

I loved it! A tablespoon of malt, teaspoon of cod liver oil and teaspoon of Rose Hip Syrup each day. Plus the 'welfare' orange juice, no wonder I have been plagued with dental problems ever since!

My brother had a huge wart on the back of his hand as a kid, grandma told him to rub a piece of raw meat on the wart and toss the meat over the fence. It worked for some strange reason, the wart went.

... and next door's dog was VERY happy!

OK, I'll point out that over the other side of the fence was the Amesbury Circus playing fields, and it was a little piece of meat not a pork chop, LOL.

Sorry - images of chunks of meat flying over the fence was a very "Pythonesque" moment! ;)

A piece of string, about a foot long, with 7 knots along the length.

Every night, rub each knot between your fingers and say, 'My warts have gone".

It worked as well....after several days the warts just disappeared.

Virol from memory was a mixture of malt and cod liver oil, quite thick bit like treacle, used to have it also as a kid, not a bad taste really as the malt disguised the fish oil.