Real Christmas trees

On many occasions over the past few decades I've been away at Christmas, New Year or both. When I do stay home for the duration although I'm not a huge fan of lots and lots of trimmings I do like to see a nice good-sized real Christmas tree in the house. I think this is because we always had a small artificial one in the home when I was growing up and I always envied those impressive six-foot trees I'd see in others' homes.

Now and again over the years I've driven up to the Griffin's Head at Papplewick and bought one from the sales going on behind the pub. I visited this year and found them a little expensive though (I thought) with a lot of 'fancy' species such as Nordman Firs etc. which are more pricey than the traditional Norway Spruce. Looking online, the local Homebase seem to offer trees at a much lower price and I also like the idea of driving up to a Forestry Commission place such as at Sherwood Pines to collect a tree though I see no prices advertised and so don't want to waste a journey up there.

Anyone got any tips for cheap local stockists?

There is a place at Awsworth, next door to the Gardeners pub that grows and sells xmas trees, you can even pick your own and cut it down yourself, I got 1 last year and the price was reasonable. Whilst shopping in Beeston yesterday they were £39.99 at Hallams on the High road, seems a lot of money for 2 or 3 weeks.

We rarely bother to put a tree up, when we do, it's an artificial one we have had for years, it stands over six feet tall, it's just got to be a chore putting it up, decorating it just for a few days, then taking it down again....

Americans don't usually go in for trimming up like Brits do, many put outside lights up, something I've never bothered to do, just can't be bothered.

I know you are enquiring about 'fresh' trees Stu but for 45 quid you could do far worse than this beauty that I got from B and Q last week (Join their club and it comes out at 33.75) and it looks like it'll last a good few years too!

8259934063_abfbff7e21_b.jpg

It comes complete with fir cones already attatched to each branch , which you then have to fit individually to the trunk , it's a bit fiddly but well worth it when it's completed.

• Upvote 1

Remember many years ago, a mate I used to go scuba diving with asked me if I had a christmas tree yet, as we only had a small artificial one I said I wouldn't mind a real one for a change.

Anyway he said he could get some real nice one's very cheap, but if I wanted to go and help him I could have one for free !

Like an idiot off I go to his house near Bulwell, then in his Land Rover, me thinking we were going to a farm of some sort.

We ended up at the back of Paplewick pumping station somewhere, he hands me a pruning saw and heads off into the bushy area and starts chopping down the fir tree saplings, never been so scared in my life, especially with the police headquarters just up the road !

Got my tree but never again, and the bloody mess it made as all the needles started to drop off was awfull.

If you're out there Steve, hope you never got caught ! cos I know he did it every year the same.

:) I'd love to be able to purchase a 'real Christmas tree' but they're so expensive:

a few days back, Wilko's, Bulwell had a display of them in their foyer and I couldn't believe they were asking £20 for the tiniest one!

PS: I'm going to take a keen look around my garden today, for some greenery to inspire me into making some Home Made Christmas Decorations. :)

Banjos' post reminds of a little Christmas 'earner' we did as kids. (13/14/15ish)

We used to go down to Carlton le Willows school , up the sides of the main path in were a load of big holly trees. A set of secatures from my Dads green house and some plastic bags perloined from the bins at Brian Pulfreys factory on Foxhill Road Carlton were put to good use , and voila 10p a bag of holly , door to door all round Gedling and Carlton we went making a few quid which we said was for charity but sadly it never made it past the chippy/ sweet shop/ off licence etc!

Sorry.

Don't they have "cut your own" places over there? They were very popular here for a few years, but seem to have died off recently. It always amazes me where the trees come from - around here, all the locally grown ones seem to be shipped to Florida sometime in early November - the ones we get come from either northern Michigan or Canada!

I got fed up with all the needles falling off, and wrestling the thing in and out of the house - so I went Bah-Humbug and we have a (very nice) fake one! The boss won't let me get one of the pre-lit ones though!

• Upvote 1

Id love a real christmas tree, the look of them, the smell of them... so festive! Unfortunately i couldnt afford it this year, but i have a 6ft one from last year and a little 4ft (it was meant to be 5ft according to the box) for the dinning room, more than happy with them for the time being :)

I have always felt a little sad after Christmas,seeing those once beautiful Christmas trees,decked out in all their finery,taking pride of place in the sitting room,and the centre of attraction.

Thrown out next to the trash bins,brown, with no sign of greenery,just a few strands of tinsel clinging to the naked branches.

So this year we bought an imitation tree,trimmed up it looks lovely,and no shedding needles to clean up.

I always used to save my old Christmas tree, (usually round the back of the shed) and then burn it as yule logs the following winter. The needles had always dropped off by then and it was just a little bit of a trim to get it in the fireplace , and, with them being pine , they didn't half go up well. (when they finally caught !)

8259933079_c8c0a41d13_b.jpg

The log here is a bit of the trees that were chopped down in November of last year along with a couple of bags of the paper from my shredder and a sack of logs from Morrisons

The snowman/ penguin scene in the middle is one of those animatronic things that light up , wobbles it's bells (Ooer) and sings "Rocking around the Christmas Tree" the bear on the right also moves as it tells the story of "The night before Christmas"

• Upvote 1

Vosges1.jpg

t.gift.gif

t.gif

My Yuletide tree is still in the ground and growing, somewhere in that forest, it will be cut on the 24th

Around here nobody buys a tree, as almost every one owns some part of the forest, or knows someone who does.

When I see £20 for a small tree, it makes me wonder who is making a huge profit, because to grow 1 tree we say on avrage it costs about 1 euro 50 to 3 euros to grow it to about 20 feet high

When I see £20 for a small tree, it makes me wonder who is making a huge profit, because to grow 1 tree we say on average it costs about 1 euro 50 to 3 euros to grow it to about 20 feet high

It's the 'spirit of Christmas', Melton. ;)

Mission accomplished.

Norwegian Fir standing nearly 8ft tall from Homebase, Daybrook, £30 (ker-ching) They seemed to be the most competitively priced place that I could find. I was tempted to take a drive up to the Forestry Commission place at Sherwood Pines until I finally discovered the prices.

Top tips I've just remembered:

Saw a slice off the bottom when you get it.

Stand in water for duration (don't be tempted to stand in earth as this restricts water take-up, apparently.

I know you are enquiring about 'fresh' trees Stu but for 45 quid you could do far worse than this beauty that I got from B and Q last week (Join their club and it comes out at 33.75) and it looks like it'll last a good few years too!

8259934063_abfbff7e21_b.jpg

It comes complete with fir cones already attatched to each branch , which you then have to fit individually to the trunk , it's a bit fiddly but well worth it when it's completed.

We had a tree just like this at me mums, with the added frosted effect. I bought a tree from them last christmas, was £39.99 ... reduced to £12,99 i think, 6 ft (not that it looks it with my 9ft ceilings!) the branches you add individually like you say yours is but its well worth it after. looks just as good this year than it did last year, and thats with a cat who likes to sit INSIDE it and a child who keeps putting it lol

A couple of years ago I bought a small tree in a tub of soil.

After Christmas I put the tree outside still in the tub, and it kept growing from the tips.

I though at last I have a real tree I can use for some years and it wont drop all its needles.

I put it to one side by the fence and next to a large bush, it kept growing lovely.

Until I moved it the following winter, to find the backside of it had all died!

What a pillock!