Nottingham Post: The Top 10 pubs in Nottingham

Take a look at this motley crew. Seems a very strange list to me, there's only two or three I'd possibly give a sniff at such a list. Very poorly-written and badly researched article, I reckon there's a few on here could do better.

Typos are up to the usual NP standard too.

'Ye Olde Trippe to Jerusalem'

'The Ernhale'

etc.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/10-pubs-Nottingham/story-17758727-detail/story.html

Apart for the historical interest of the Trip, I see no pubs on there worth recommending. Only one I have had experience of recently was the Steamboat at Trent Lock, and it has turned into a local "boozer" for the local lager louts (sorry, Stu!). We walked in to get lunch - no food, no hand pumps and a crowd of noisy lads blocking the bar - we walked out again!

I see what you mean Stu, "Top 10 pubs in Nottingham" and only 5 of them are in Nottingham!!

A very well thought out piece of tat.

Forgot to mention - while we were in Nottingham before Christmas, we went into the Cross Keys at Weekday Cross and were VERY impressed. They sell locally brewed beers from Navigation Brewery and a pint of excellent "Traditional" was £2.50 - a bargain! Also serve food which we did not try - lively atmosphere with a lot of traffic - not unlike the Poacher but a different style. Highly recommended!

By the way, thanks to everyone who showed up at the "meet-up" - and once again, Nottingham in its "Christmas" mode impressed both my wife, as well as my son and his girlfriend. It really is a cool city and much more enjoyable (to me at least) than Newcastle which we visited next!

When last in Nottm in 2011, we went to the Steamboat on a Sunday afternoon, was packed, even the outdoors area, we had to stand somewhere for 15 mins before we got a seat.

We also visited the Trip, bit of nostalgia, same damp smell when you go in, appeared far smaller than I remember, mid day, mid week it was still busy.

One country pub that stood out was the one in Morton in the Trent valley, lovely oldy worldy atmosphere. Another was the pub in Burton Joyce, not on the main road but up towards the river.

Didn't do any city pubs as was warned they were not the safest at night.

Did have Brekky at the Bank a few times, good food good prices.

Don't agree about the Trip. Love the place and would go more often if it was a bit more convenient for me. The beers there are not as good as they used to be though.

Ignoring the fact that, as pointed out by Beefy (and also previously in the comments section on the article itself), many of the pubs are not in the city, I'd say any such list would commonly include the likes of The Hand and Heart, The Malt Cross, the Lincolnshire Poacher and The Bell Inn amongst others.

Regardless of the city/county thing, some of the suggestions are laughable. The Ernehale in Arnold? I feel able to comment on that as I've been there many times and I wouldn't suggest it's anything other than a bog standard suburban Wetherspoon lounge. Nothing greatly wrong with it but certainly not outstanding in any way, shape or form.

The Four Bells at Woodborough IS a nice pub and one which I use regularly so I don't have too many negative things to say about it. What I would add though is that, situation apart, it arguably lags behind the likes of The Woodlark at Lambley and The Reindeer at Hoveringham in the village pub stakes.

We all have our opinions and it's very subjective but that is a strange old list above indeed.

Top 10 pubs, in no particular order;

Cocked Hat, Cremorne, Old Rose, Dover, Highbury,Golden Ball, The Balloon, Highbury Vale, Marquis of Lorne, The Swinger

Stu mentions The Reindeer in #8. Used to go to Marquis of Granby in the late 60's and once popped across the road to The Reindeer as the Marquis was heaving. It was like stepping back 100 years, just a few old regulars who eyed us young 'uns with some suspiscion, but it was fascinating; even more old fashioned than Tillo's in Ruddington, the family's local at that time.

Commo - it was a shame that the Marquis closed. Towards the end it was completely refurbished - then promptly turned into a private home.

The Reindeer closed a few years ago for a short time and I understand it was going to suffer a similar fate. Happily though it remains a beautiful old country pub in an enviable situation with the cricket pitch directly out the back. Lovely for a summer afternoon drink out there or equally welcoming with its log fire burning in the winter.

1536242_44588568.jpg

Incidentally, 'The top ten Nottinghamshire village pubs' would make an attractive list...

Thanks for that info Stu.Must make a trip down there in the better weather to see it now. I had assumed that it would have been The Reindeer which disappeared, surprised it was the Marquis. As you can guess, it is some 40 years since we wee in that area.

"As you can guess, it is some 40 years since we wee in that area"

I'm sure they won't remember what you did, 40 years is a long time, you're probably safe to go back now................ kickme

Dennis...................They've all gone..................... :laugh:

I wouldn't know Paulus, I seldom go into pubs nowadays, incredible how many have disappeared, our local the "Charles ll" is now a Spar shop.

Dennis

Makes you wonder if the breweries had spent some of their wealth on decent air conditioning over the years instead of ten quid expelair fans, they could have retained smoking areas...and of course selling their mass produced brown liquid at three times the price of petrol.

My Top Ten Nottinghamshire village pubs. I KNOW I'll have missed a few crackers. Apologies for them being a little centric to my 'patch'.

In no particular order:

The Woodlark Inn, Lambley

The Reindeer Inn, Hoveringham

The World's End, Lowdham

The Dixies Arms, Bagthorpe

The Wagon and Horses, Bleasby

The Black Horse, Caythorpe

The Full Moon, Morton

The Griffin's Head, Papplewick

The Horse and Groom, Linby

The Four Bells Inn, Woodborough

Makes you wonder if the breweries had spent some of their wealth on decent air conditioning over the years instead of ten quid expelair fans, they could have retained smoking areas...and of course selling their mass produced brown liquid at three times the price of petrol.

Unfortunately that's not been possible due to the EU stipulation that stated that smoking areas had to be 3 walls open to the elements, and our own governments taxes on beer!

Sod the EU...It's about time we told 'em to piss off like the Frogs do when something does't suit 'em.A country that had the biggest Empire ever being told what to do by a load of Krauts,Spics and Cheese Eaters...I hope Ted Heath turns in his urn the bastard.