How accurate is your tax return?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not had to fill in a tax return for about 40 years.

A very good and valid point. To make returns all on line would be divisive and discriminates against sections of the population who do not wish to use a computer. It is the same problem when on line

Excellent post Mick, just about sums up how I feel ...................................me & the few million others that labour away at the daily 'grind', for me though it's as much a pride thing, going to work & earning, I don't begrudge the welfare state in it's purest form, there but for the grace of God etc............

dont know about tax returns but fed up trying to sort out my tax demand for 476 pounds foran underpayment all because a payment from a g.k.n. pensions group of 4000 pounds i am supposed to have had from them in the year 2010- 2011i have know idea who gkn are or howi can contact them but all the tax people keep telling me is i must discus the problem with them its up to me to prove i have not had this money not them to prove i have been going on for nearly 5 months now despite solisitor letters to them . any body on here got any info on gkn pensions group and how i can contact them . have tried looking on internet and the ones i have come up with were no help any sujestions would help.

GKN Pension - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

GKN are not doing very well with their pension, Good job you don't have one with them.

I suggest you go down to the Tax Office in Nottingham for advice, I have found them very helpful

will try that mick every time i try to ring help line made to feel like i telling them lies

I suggest you go down to the Tax Office in Nottingham for advice, I have found them very helpful

I've been there a couple of times and they are indeed helpful. You don't need an appointment or anything, just turn up and you can talk to a real person without a long wait.

been down to tax office this morning busy today but got an appointment for tommorow so maybe ill get somewere they were very helpful anywayat least ill get to explain whats happening face to face.

thanks for the advice mick and clifton

Good luck Babs.............though I must admit in recent dealings with the Inland Revenue they've been most helpful, one even took his foot off my windpipe when I turned blue!!

No, they were very good & professional, which is exactly how we pay them to behave.....................

Babs, I think the reason the Inland Revenue are demanding the £476 is because of this: Your threshold for the year would be £10,500 for which you would pay no tax. By receiving the £4,000 from GKN you would have gone over your threshold and so you have to pay the tax on it. If, as you say, you have never received it then this will be discussed at your meeting. Many people who appeal their tax demands are successful so you should be ok. The Inland Revenue will investigate your appeal and notify you with their findings. Normally, you have to pay the money and then claim it back but you are given time to pay it so hopefully the claim is sorted before you actually pay anything.

To cut a very long (And more than likely boring ) story short, I once closed a long established company I worked for down, over none paid tax.

Suffice to say, I was only there on a temporary basis as I was still working in Ibiza and had just come back for the winter. As I'd earn't no money over here in that tax year I could work 'tax free' for so long , until I broke through the threashold. From day one they taxed me, and despite my protests they continued to do so, every deduction neatly written out on the back of the envelope my monthly pay cheque came in. i did the right thing and kept these envelopes, then after a lot of 'argy bargy' I ended up in our local tax office trying to sort it out just before I returned to work in the Balierics.

Well they had no record of me having payed any tax !! I gave them the reciepts (envelopes) and the next thing I heard was that they had been forcibly closed closed for stopping them but not paying the taxes and social security for 15 plus workers for 30 years !!!

They got fined hundreds of thousands of pounds too !

After a long while i did get my money back and it went towards us getting married................................................ B45t4rds !!

And they only got caught because they got too greedy and took on the little man !!
Mind you , it beggars belief that no one else noticed that they didn't get a P40 each year or a P 45 when they left !!

micks right micheal there is a misstake some were along the line and i have been trying for nearly six months to sort out and all tax people have told me is contact your pention provider send p45 which i did city council my only pension provider they then tell me not city council gkn but not who or were they were they are for me to contact so no idea who to contact been waiting 6 weeks now for them to send me details hence me going to nottingham office yesterday and have got an appointment for today hope i can get more info face to face and maybe even get some thing moving to be able to resolve this still having to pay nearly 500 for some thing i have not had.

the other point of trying to sort this out now is i could be in same position again when they sort out years 2011-2012 and 2012 2013 as this demand for 2010-2011. so i could have more demands to come if i dont get it sorted and could end up in court over it if i had had the money i would not be objecting to paying the tax but as mick said i have not .

hurray just back from tax office 15 mins face to face and its sorted gkn pentions group mistake my n.i.no someboby else name who lives in west midlands just got to wait for letter of confirmation from tax office but adviced not to make anymore payments in the meantime so as far as i am concerned result

I clearly understand that you say you haven't received the payment from GKN, babs. If you read my post again you will see that I've stated this. I was giving you an overall view as to what would happen.

I've just seen your post, babs. I'm really pleased that it's all been sorted. Yippee.

yeh thanks micheal presure off now but its been 5 months of worring and lost count of amount of phone calls i have made reguarding this but at last its sorted.

so from now on if i know of anyone got similar problems i would tell them go to local tax office ask for an appointment and talk to someone face to face

its clear from my conversation today the people on the phone wernt asking me the relivent ? just asumed i must have had the £4099 despite me saying i had not and it must be a mistake

Well done Babs (and Piggy). Amazing what can happen once you get to the right person (or place)!