Albert E Lambert, architect of Victoria and Midland Station)

I'm a distant relative of Albert Edward Lambert, the architect of the Victoria Railway Station (and the Midland Station)

there is a Wikipedia page about him, to which I contribute, but little else on the web. A trawl through the local papers show just 3 lines given to him at the time of his death in 1929. He designed many other buildings in Nottingham, and nationwide, but seems largely forgotten.

Ian Lambert

What an interesting feller, whilst it appears to be mainly churches & fine public buildings under his pen, it would appear (if Wiki correct) that he designed Soap works.........................can I assume this was Eno's on Wikinson street?

I'm a distant relative of Albert Edward Lambert, the architect of the Victoria Railway Station (and the Midland Station)

there is a Wikipedia page about him, to which I contribute, but little else on the web. A trawl through the local papers show just 3 lines given to him at the time of his death in 1929. He designed many other buildings in Nottingham, and nationwide, but seems largely forgotten.

Ian Lambert

With Watson Fothergill & Thomas Chambers Hine designed some of the best buildings in Nottingham.

I was up there to arrange the dropping of one of the badly weathered finials to ground level by crane for reproduction.God and the contractors made this unnecessary as the whole damned lot collapsed overnight.

The stonework up there was in a terrible state ...much being held together by iron straps.The contractors were made to rebuild exactly as it was before stone by stone.

Finials?....The vase shaped ornamentations on top of the building.

NB00372_zps5cd5a01b.jpg

There were suspicions that the Building was dropped on purpose to avoid restoring it?

Suspicions?....really?...I didn't know that :rolleyes: and I certainly wasn't going to be the one to mention it without using the words 'it was rumoured' :biggrin:

Those finials are glassfibre now by the way.

One thing I can remember my dad saying about the old Victoria railway Station, was, that it was a bu++er of a station to work in, because the two signal boxes the northen and the southern before the closure only had one very old line of communication between them, which broke down a lot, so if he had a two trains leaving at the same time and one shunting from one platform to another along with all the other cominge and goings it was a Nightmare

And also the station had two turntables, and if one was not working that was also a nightmare when a loco had to be turned around,

That's interesting that the Midland felt they had to build something that matched the grandeur of Victoria Station, and so got the same guy to do the new Midland Station.

I hope the new modifications currently at the railway station aren't going to dumb it down.

I remember when the booking office area looked really nice with the big W.H. Smith stand and a decent coffee shop.

Maybe they are just cleaning up the facade - hope so.

We lose far too many great buildings through lack of planning and forethought.

Mick mentioned Derby station on another thread. It still looked great when they pulled it down and replaced it with that 80's box.