British Home Stores on Lister gate

Welcome Purplecaz.

What is that van in the bottom picture?

It has a wheel on the back, measuring wheel?

GPO van?

Nottingham City Transport vehicle Mick, no idea what it would have been doing, perhaps something to do with tram lines?

Youd be amazed what people here know :)

Good job on the Tweak Kev.

I can see mesen looking out the window of that 43 Trolleybus

Nottingham City Transport vehicle Mick, no idea what it would have been doing, perhaps something to do with tram lines?

Could it have been measuring the mileage of a new bus route?

Difficult to show because Streetview don't go down Lister Gate. This is the closest you can get http://binged.it/YX80yM

On the right of the image there's an old building with two triangular pediments; BHS is/was the one to the left of that.

And this is what it looks like today - New Look, a fashion store

newl.jpg

I can see what you mean..........but I don't think I've ever really noticed them! Maybe just take them for granted. Certainly don't feel like you're walking through leafy green area when you're on those streets.

bhs5.jpg

Very interested in this photo. Used to catch a 43 Trolley bus on a regular basis.

Between Canal Street and Listergate on the left of Carrington Street was a boarded up area then known as the "Arms Houses". I think this photo shows the top end of it.

Recollect sitting on an Uncle's shoulders watching an army parade up Carrington Street standing in front of the boarded up area. I believe the parade was that of the Sherwood Foresters returning from WWII - mid-late forties. I was ever so little then.

There was also a short-cut that went between, what later became Woolworth's, and Castlegate known as "bombed buildings". Weren't supposed to take the short-cut as there were cellars underneath some of the buildings that hadn't collapsed in the bombing. But if we were running late for Sunday school??? Still got a scar on my knee from broken glass after falling over traversing the "bombed buildings".

I think that should be "Alms" Houses not Arms. Most of these forums normally allow you to edit your contributions, but there seems to be a time limit on doing so here. C'est la vie.

Very interested in this photo. Used to catch a 43 Trolley bus on a regular basis.

Between Canal Street and Listergate on the left of Carrington Street was a boarded up area then known as the "Arms Houses". I think this photo shows the top end of it.

I think what you are referring to was the Able Collins Alms Houses. Take a look at this thread for a few photos. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10206&hl=collins+alms