I remember as a child that our bus home, the 6, 17, 18 or 28 ran from Trinity Square and that before they went over to one man operation a full set of rear destination blinds was installed and used. This was handy because we generally would approach from the "Kings Walk" direction and it saved having to go around the front of the bus to check which route it was on.

I always thought it a shame they were not retained after the conductors were removed. I've not seen any photos of them in use in Nottingham, as far as I can remember all the Fleetlines and Atlanteans had them until the "G" registered ones which briefly had the route number only.

Anyone got a photo?

Cor blimey, he's a cheeky chappy make no mistakes o that

It's that hat, tipped to a 'jaunty angle' , that gave the game away.................................. :jumping:

• Upvote 1

I remember as a child that our bus home, the 6, 17, 18 or 28 ran from Trinity Square and that before they went over to one man operation a full set of rear destination blinds was installed and used. This was handy because we generally would approach from the "Kings Walk" direction and it saved having to go around the front of the bus to check which route it was on.

Anyone got a photo?

This is probably a bit before your time Andrea, because it's apparently 1960 and I'm sure you aren't that old. This is a few years before the multi-storey car park was built. But it shows Trinity Square, and the back end of several buses.

square-6.jpg

• Upvote 1

I remember Trinity Square with the buses on the outside of the square. The 4 routes 6, 17, 18, 28 were integrated, the buses came in on one route and left on another.

MichaelsDadStoodByBus1958.jpg

Is this what you mean, Andrea?.

Nice picture, I believe that's the rear of one of the trolleybuses, route 36 if it's Goose Fair. I was particularly thinking of when Trinity Square had the multi storey car park and buses went around clock wise. There was a newsagents by the stops plus one or two other shops which I can't remember.

The Pic with 'Mighty Fine' Looks like it was taken at The Embankment just below Kieth Hall Hairdressing?

If it's a trolleybus that would have been the 43 or 41, which I caught to attend The Becket School. If I was feeling 'flush', I'd sometimes get the 15 or 15a that went in to West Bridgford

I'm no expert but I think that's more of a 'route master' type , 'cause didn't trolley buses all have electric doors at the front on them, and not the open platform at the rear?

(I was all of 4 when they were phased out so the memory may be a bit jaded)

I stand duly corrected and chastised, I have just had a quick gleg online and every picture I've found has the rear platform.

The doors I remember all had four 'slats' to them as opposed to the Bournemouth ones two.

I stand duly corrected and chastised, I have just had a quick gleg online and every picture I've found has the rear platform.

The doors I remember all had four 'slats' to them as opposed to the Bournemouth ones two.

You must have been thinking of Trent buses rather than the Corporation's!

You're possibly remembering the early Daimler Fleetlines introduced in the early 1960s (which were not trolleybuses!):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/3377317864/

That's the style Merthyr Imp . I can just see them, in my minds eye, with the trolley bus stuff on top too.

Some of the later AECs had a half-cab and front doors behind the engine. They must have been just about the last front-engined buses bought by NCT?

One of these.

busaec.jpg

But they weren't trolleys :)

That's the style Merthyr Imp . I can just see them, in my minds eye, with the trolley bus stuff on top too.

Er - yes, but they weren't trolleybuses and had nothing on the roof. The diesel engine was transverse at the back as with this later version:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23207961@N07/5602140903

Another thing is that the trolleybuses were never painted in that livery style - they were all green with the three narrow cream bands:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/trolleybus/pool/johnmightycat/page2/?view=lg

One of these.

busaec.jpg

But they weren't trolleys :)

They were indeed the last front engined buses for NCT. They were mainly intended as trolleybus replacements although route 31 to Mapperley was never a trolleybus route!

They were indeed the last front engined buses for NCT. They were mainly intended as trolleybus replacements although route 31 to Mapperley was never a trolleybus route!

AEC Renown.

• Like 1