I've found a very poor quality black and white picture of the rear of one of the "D" registered Fleetlines in a scrapbook, not worked out how to load it yet, the file is too big. It was taken on a very basic camera so it certainly won't win any prizes!

With the switch to OMO (one man operation) NCT found it difficult to get drivers to change the rear destination blinds. The " G Reg" Atlanteans did have a route number box built into the extended rear window buit these didn't last long. The buses that were converted to OMO operation (with an extra set of doors) had the rear destination blind painted out. The "L Reg" Fleetlines were the first to have a number blind by the entrance but NCT still found it difficult/impossible to get drivers to display the route numbers correctly

The AEC, as in the picture had one converted for potential one man operation, fleet number 354.

Never caught on cos the driver would have had a stiff neck looking behind all the time.

• Like 1

With the switch to OMO (one man operation) NCT found it difficult to get drivers to change the rear destination blinds. The " G Reg" Atlanteans did have a route number box built into the extended rear window buit these didn't last long. The buses that were converted to OMO operation (with an extra set of doors) had the rear destination blind painted out. The "L Reg" Fleetlines were the first to have a number blind by the entrance but NCT still found it difficult/impossible to get drivers to display the route numbers correctly

The problem with side destination numbers were kids turning the handles while mummy sat there thinking it was quite funny for young Freddy to do as he liked.

• Like 1

The problem with side destination numbers were kids turning the handles while mummy sat there thinking it was quite funny for young Freddy to do as he liked.

You mean it was not a bit of bone idlenesss????? When I caught a bus those pesky kids had always left the numers at blank/blank.

The AEC, as in the picture had one converted for potential one man operation, fleet number 354.

Never caught on cos the driver would have had a stiff neck looking behind all the time.

One man operation????? How would you collect the fares?????

A small window was removed at the back of the driver's cab on the left, and the idea was that he had to turn more than half round in his seat so fares could be collected from people as they got on. As catfan says, not a very successful idea.

A small window was removed at the back of the driver's cab on the left, and the idea was that he had to turn more than half round in his seat so fares could be collected from people as they got on. As catfan says, not a very successful idea.

I actually remember seeing this on a holiday in Dover in 1972. It wasn't a Renown but a Lodekka I think which had a similar layout. As you say it wasn't really practical, the driver had to turn 90% to his left at every stop to collect fares.

I think that fitting blinds on the side was at least partially due to complaints from people using Trinity Square services about having to keep going round the front to see which route it was on. I know a number of drivers used to change them at the outer terminus ready for the next trip so an inbound 6 would have 18 on the side and inbound 18, 28 on the side etc. The 17 was ok because the bus stayed on it all day.

post-5299-0-50208600-1368529343_thumb.jp

I've found a very poor quality black and white picture of the rear of one of the "D" registered Fleetlines in a scrapbook, not worked out how to load it yet, the file is too big. It was taken on a very basic camera so it certainly won't win any prizes!

And here it is!

These are what I was on about ...... I knew I hadn't gone senile !!

Off of the Nottingham FB groups site.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/947207_4733379744148_452649691_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/947207_4733379744148_452649691_n.jpg

Yes they're trolleybuses, and at the back they looked like the picture in Michael Booth's posting on 5th May and didn't have doors at the front. Hope that clears it up!

where was that picture taken? it kind of looks like st annes well road at the junction of ransome road, but i'm not so sure it is.

Yes they're trolleybuses, and at the back they looked like the picture in Michael Booth's posting on 5th May and didn't have doors at the front. Hope that clears it up!

Openbacks as I recall, travelled on them every schoolday (when I attended)................41 or 43

where was that picture taken? it kind of looks like st annes well road at the junction of ransome road, but i'm not so sure it is.

Spot on. The bus standing back from the stop is one that had terminated as a 47 and turned at Ransom Road. (Probably had the strap hooked across the platform to deter people from boarding until it was due to be the next service to Wilford Bridge. The bus overtaking is a "proper" 40 having come from Wells Road/Kildare Road terminus.

The photo shows 514, one of the 8'0" wide 6 wheel trollies passing 535, which was 7'6" wide.

There were two series of 6 wheel trollies, KTV 500-KTV 524 were 8'0" wide and were normally on routes 38/39.

KTV 525-KTV 601 were 7'6" wide ond were on routes 43/44.

Routes 40/47 were normally 4 wheel trollies:-8752503975_f0243045d1_c.jpg

Same place.

The 39 ran from Carlton Square to Wollaton Park, the 38 ran from Hooton Road (Top of Carlton Hill) to Wollaton Park IMMSC

In hindsight it may only have run to King Street/ Queen Street in the city centre (It was only as i was typing the last post that I remembered it didn't come all the way down to Carlton Square too)

It stopped outside "The Elite" (which is on Parliament Street) then 'rested' on King Street /Queen Street before returning from whence it came

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...