What Have they done to our Junk Food

There used to be nothing nicer than a plate full of Chips, Prossy peas, Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pie or Brains Faggots when i fancied something tasty and comforting,but i recently tried both,there was practically no meat in the pie and the faggots were so sloppy and the gravy so thin and tasteless no suger in the peas,just hard bullets,in the hunt for making more profit the makers have ruined them,What with elf and safety taking all salt and suger out of most things,they have taken the treat away from our junk food,AND by reducing the size of our chocolate snacks,they are not healthier now cos i now have two.I am not promoting Junk food but we all need a treat now and then,anyone else had some of their favorite food ruined by the powers that be..

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gym..... No way. I'm not in to self abuse. I do lots of walking, haven't smoked for over 30 years, and even then it was only to be sociable, don't drink much nowadays, maybe a pint bottle, but mostly

I could have posted a very similar comment as you Jill.  My Mum disliked cooking but we were always well fed.  However she made excellent pastry and the best Yorkshire Puddings this side of Doncaster.

I can guarantee 100% Chulla that I would not touch that burger in a million years. I would have to be grovelling with starvation to eat some thing that looks so unhealthy as that. All those fried onio

dont go in mcdonalds very often but out for a drive few weeks back passing ollerton roundabout and decided to call in i had big mac but without the cheese fries and chocolate milkshake big mac half the size they used to be i used to struggle to eat one no salt on the fries made them taste greasy and the milkshate had no taste at all certainly did not taste of chocolate.

Perhaps that's why i remember them so fondly.they have always been my favorites,but i do think they aren't as tasty as they were in the olden days,

You're probably correct, however I believe 'ageing tastebuds' also have their, very sad, part to play......................

I use sea salt, has loads of minerals in it, not like the bleached processed mined salt... Salt is a required nutrient, without it we would die.... Many medics are now saying we don't get enough salt in our diet, causing health problems...

There is also no concrete evidence salt increases BP.......That's only come out in the last few weeks....

When I worked at CPL's Boulby Mine in North Yorks I craved salt!!! I couldn't taste it, mind, I worked many hours in temps between 38C and 48C day in day out..

To avoid dehydration at the pits, you were given orange flavoured salt drink.........................

Other than Boulby, I've not worked in a hot mine... They did have salt drinks available on the surface if anyone wanted them.. Certainly wasn't hot down Clifton or Cotgrave, or the last two collieries I worked down..

Same at Pork Farms. it came out of one of those machines with the 2 spinning oranges in side. Always freezing cold , but welcome and needed if you'd been working on the ovens .

Incidentally I had Brains Faggots with mashed spuds and mushy peas for my dinner last night and have to agree with you about the taste and the 'gravy'

There was something on the packaging a while back saying "You asked for it".......... "You asked for more of our delicious West Country 'sauce' so we have given it to you"

Yeah cause you did, you just added more water to the previous stuff !!

I think the taste of meat products have changed due to intensive farming, ie beef fed on corn instead of eating out in the paddock.... You can tell whether beef is corn fed or free ranging by the look of it, if it's marbled, it's corn fed.

I remember when we lived in Oz, you could tell by the taste whether it was factory farmed or grass fed, the grass fed was tastier but slightly tougher..

I used to like those canned steak and kidney pies, been years since I had one.

• Upvote 1

And yet all top chefs (TV cooks!) tell you that the best Beef to use needs 'marbling' as it adds to the flavour, and to be honest I can see what they mean. Our best tasting Beef by far is a piece of Brisket (Full of Marbling)
Sometimes though I can get a nice piece of "Salmon cut Silverside" Now if that's good , it's really good, if you know what I mean (And that never has any marbling in it !)

Those tinned pies can still be bought at the 99p store.

The bottom layers of pastry always remained uncooked after taking out of the oven.

Yuk!

We still get those Fray Bentos tinned pies here in oz, pastry is ok but the meat looks more of a slurry than that picture.

I love a chunky steak pie, or a chicken and mushroom (mmmn Pukka pies) but sadly the Aussies make what I call "dog meat pies" all minced up and usually contain anything from beef, mutton or even buffalo !

They taste ok but the texture is awful !

The Film "Falling Down" with Micheal Douglas springs to mind.

• Upvote 1

im sure my last one only had one burker in more like the old quarter pounder but the burger and the cob i am sure was much smaller

and i forgot big mack meal now costs a lot more for a lot less dont think i will be going again soon

The Last time I was in LA, about 2009 McD were selling Burgers (on Tuesdays) for 29 cents (about 20p)

Thats about all they are worth.

If you want a burger that looks like the burger on the ad you need Fuddruckers®, World's Greatest Hamburgers®

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks big macs have shrunk! I'm not a huge fan of McDonalds but every so often I'll have a naughty treat. I tried one of their American burgers... sauce tasted like puke. not nice!

now if I fancy a drive through take away, I usually opt for KFC or burger king is usually ok, abit tight on their portion of chips... but KFC gravy is heavenly! yumm!

Cor it looks tasty,no chunks of meat like that in our last one mmmmmm,i'l give it another try.

I bought a pile of Fray Bentos pies whilst on offer recently. Not one of them had more than a smidgeon of meat inside :(