Shakespeare Villas: 1977.65242.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgThe rear of the Synagogue is on the left..Dr Turners Surgery is for the chop...and just visible is The Larkdale Nursery School that was built on the site of a once large Glove Factory.

The demolishing of another fine Nottm institution The Flying Horse ...making way for a short cut called Flying Horse Walk?54112.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgMatrixGrade on the job..sadly.

Akins Bookies next door.

^^^ VERY, VERY SAD!!!!!!^^^ that such a place could have been destroyed like that.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ESSENCE OF VANDALISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the occupants of the building in the background.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Much clearance has taken place..Mortimer St.64006.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpg1953,featured amongst the weighbridge and Castle Rd.is St.Nicholas Church.

When this and the Bulwell Viaduct came down...i had to get the 141 to town.B4umn-KICMAAsg43.jpgNorthern Bridge..is that a 2cx?

3 hours ago, IAN123. said:

When this and the Bulwell Viaduct came down...i had to get the 141 to town.B4umn-KICMAAsg43.jpgNorthern Bridge..is that a 2cx?

So many memories from that one picture,,

Northern Baths,, school swimming,,which i hated.

Catchems Pub,, many family 'Wakes' in there

Oakleigh lodge,, Grandad a founder member,,

Saxondale drive,, where Grandma and Grandad lived,

Mandalay street,, where Mr Richards my first Marsdens manager lived

Bulwell lane,, where many family members lived,

Under the Bridge,, 1963,, got fined for speeding

• Like 1

Nice memories Ben..i recall the 2nd hand car plot too. Used the baths regular Ben..Friday night in particular..it was 50p for a bar of pink soap- satchet of Vosene- big towel and a comb wrapped in tissue.

• Like 1

Avoided the Baths completely after leaving school,,just couldn't take to Swimming...........finally went for adult lessons when i was 30,so i could learn me kids......which i did,,..........still not keen though,,

• Like 1

Dated a "swimmer" years ago Ben...she lived on Fraser Square..i were'nt keen..Carlton Forum  vs The Heathfield?

Mandalay Street where George Brough was born there's a blue plaque 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 8:07 PM, IAN123. said:

Dated a "swimmer" years ago Ben...she lived on Fraser Square..i were'nt keen..Carlton Forum  vs The Heathfield?

Funny thing is Carlton Forum is where i went for Adult lessons with 3 or 4 other chaps of same age (30 ish) young lass that taught us was brilliant,,learned me to swim on me back,,which i still do when forced.,,however 5 or 6 years ago tried swimming on me back at a Villa we rented in Spain,,and i'd forgot how,, bit embarrassed when 9 year old Grandaughter saved me,,...........still rags me about it........lol.

• Like 1

Sounds like an experience I had in Canada, Ben.   I was trying to skate in an outdoor rink.  A little kid came flying by and stopped on a Dime.  He looked at me  and said, "What's up Mr.  Can't you skate?"  "No I can't"  I said.  He looked at me pitifully for a minute,  Then he said, "Where you been?"  I had to laugh.  Still can't skate either.

• Like 1

Annesley Colliery 1969.  Like all other Notts collieries - gone forever.

e5fpQUhRZv9f_MnGYDyjpmxRl1sl9BMxpGsj2LOA

• Like 1

I used to live in one of those rows, Ian: 61 Byron Road, the second one from the colliery. I took the photo just before I left the area.  Been down that shaft many, many times.  Had a grizzly neighbour next door whom I called "Old Crab face". One day she knocked on the door and walked right in as usual in those places and shouted "It's only me, Old Crab Face!" I was stunned and she just laughed - "Walls are thin and when you happen to have a glass on the wall and an ear on the glass, they are even thinner!" She said.  Served me right! We became good friends after that and remained so until her death some years later.

• Like 1

Somewhere, I have a terrible photo of thee pit taken from the front bedroom window in Byron Road, Annesley Rows. I am currrently sorting out thousands of old photos and if I chance upon it I shall post it here.  When I worked there the winders were still driven by STEAM, with electricity replacing the steam winders only just before I left in 1969.

Compo, I visited the Papplewick pumping station a few years ago, I'm sure they have one of the steam winders there, there was someone who" worked 'em at pit "

Great visit, 

Regards

• Like 1

If I remember correctly the steam winding engine at Papplewick is from Hucknall pit.

I am not sure where the winding engine came from but at the side of the main engine house there used to be a shaft where they used to raise the coal from a pit tunnel. Again not sure from which pit it came from, but it amazed me that all those years ago they could drive a roadway underground several miles long then sink a shaft and it would connect together in the correct place. For those who have never been to the pumping station it is well worth it , especially on days when the engine is in steam. British engineering at its finest.

2 hours ago, trogg said:

it amazed me that all those years ago they could drive a roadway underground several miles long then sink a shaft and it would connect together in the correct place.

A little bit of thread drift coming up... Just how did they do that in the days before GPS and lasers.

• Like 1