growing veg... from veg

Okay, so as we all know you plant a potato to grow more potatoes... And you plant pea's/beans to grow more, and a clove of garlic to grow, yes, more garlic. But what other veg work in the same way? I ask because I want to sow and grow more veg in the garden, iv grown tomatoe's, pea's + strawberries for a couple of years with good results and iv just got myself some carrot seeds, and also the MIL has gave me a huge elephant garlic freshly dug from her garden yesterday that's current drying out and I'll be using a clove to grow some more.

Also, what veg can be sowed now/late summer and harvested in winter or even grown during the winter months? Hate the thought of not using the garden in the colder part of the year now its sorted.

Brussels should go in soon, lettuce still, radishes, spring onions... Just a few I can think of for late plantings.

I've no idea about tators in the UK now, but they get sprayed here to stop them sprouting, I've had very limited success with store bought tators sprouting...I do have three rows of seed tators growing, won't be long before I can start harvesting them.

I also have three varieties of mint, Sweet, Peppermint and Spearmint, the one we make mint sauce out of.

You could start a tomato plant in a large pot to bring indoors for winter tomatoes, you'll have to pollinate them yourself though.

We grew some Jalapeno peppers one year, real hot ones!!!! That was when we lived in Oz, problem was, the ripe peppers were disappearing from the plants...Eventually I discovered the thief, bloody rats!!!!! Must have burned their mouths out, but they came back for more!! They never took anything else, just the peppers.

• Upvote 1

Deer, groundhogs, rabbits and moles are my pests, I deter the deer by peeing around the perimeter of the garden, deer don't like our scent.

For a moment I couldn't take you seriously about peeing in your garden.... All potatoes I seem to buy sprout roots when left too long, could I plant just any old tattie?

It's supposed to be a scientific fact, nobody can see me, I live deep in the country, my driveway is over half a mile long...LOL

Yeah sure, if they have sprouted put them in the ground.

You can grow garlic from a bulb. Just break the cloves off and plant individually, round about October time. Should be ready for harvesting from August to September the next year. I also planted onion sets last November. Just took them out yesterday and left to dry in my shed so will be ready for when we finish up here in October.

Any alternative things to grow the veg in? I can't find any grow bags/potato bags, the ones I can find are quite expensive, poundland had none in either! S

Dustbins,...a friend of mine is using them and they are coming on a treat. also old tyres, adding one on as you need to pile up the earth.

How about large bags of potting compost, lay them flat and slash them along the long side?

Would bags of compost be deep enough for carrots, potatoes and garlic plus whatever else I decided to try and grow? I use the stuff from poundland, seems to be alright actually! And iv heard about using dustbins and old kitchen bins, it did cross my mind....b

Stupid phone keypad putting random letters at the end of my post. Ignore them :)

I grow everything in containers of one sort or another. Everything from radish to runner beans.

I have 10 poly dustbins for maincrop and second early spuds, first earlies are grown in Morrison Flower buckets 8 for 99p as are runner beans and toms.just remember to put drainage holes in the bottom. Peas are grown in an homemade wooden box, Onions in various containers including cut down plastic water tanks like you find in your loft.

Could go on for hours but I just like growing and eating my own fruit and veg and my back is either concrete or water (pond).

Colin

I have those large terracotta coloured tubs lined up along my wall with pea's, tomatoes and strawberries growing in. I wasn't sure if these would be deep enough, but I may stick to these to make it look 'uniformed'

I went to poundland today. The woman was putting potato sacks up on the rack - bonus! I got two and 3 bags of compost, but 2 bags only fill the potato sacks half way. The other half had an idea. Why don't I get making compost, chucking veg peelings in + a few worms then using the sacks to grow tatties and carrots cos it'll have all the goodness. Any thoughts on this?

If you don't give peelings etc room to breathe like in a proper compost heap it will just go rotten and stink.You can't just chuck stuff into a sack and grow spuds in it.

Start small and hang on to what you've got and build on it next year.

Don't throw away used compost, riddle it to get rid of old roots etc and then liven it up next year with a base fertilizer. If your going to grow in containers you will have to feed through the season anyway as the compost will be dead after about 8 weeks. So it makes good sense to reuse old compost.

Colin

Thanks for the info! It was just a suggestion, its quite a large sack so thought it'd be big enough to do some composting. It's been filled up, as has the other one, will put some spuds in one and carrots in the other. Thanks guys(and gals) :)