Should have gone to Radio Rentals!

Found this CO-OP add on the back of an old boxing program dated 1960

crystal clear reception always with defiant TV

model 7a91 a17"table model with high gloss sapele mahogany veneer cabinet.

fitted with type turret tuner to receive BBC and ITA programs

post-11-1138824101_thumb.jpg

I remember those! .. they tended to very heavy on gas, and waiting for the thermocoupler to kick in once the pilot light had been lit seemed to take forever..

quite often one would miss an entire episode of Murder Bag or Dixon of Dock Green whilst waiting for the blighter to warm up.. it was only when they introduced the e97ac things started to get better, at least with these one only had to change the acid in the accumulator every couple of days, and thus it then meant those episodes of The Invisible Man and Ivanhoe could watched at leisure.

I too remember such Sets.

It was always on a Sunday afternoon that A blue glow would eminate from the rear of the set, just before the picture would collapse into a single line in the middle of the screen. The loss of the Dreaded Mullard EF86 valve would mean a trip to the Lenton Lane Tip. Searching through the junk would be numerous scavengers.

Once located a number of the EF86's would be liberated from their former 'retired cabinets' and off we would go to plug in the replacement tube, just in time to catch... SONGS OF PRAISE!....

post-14-1138829438_thumb.jpg

If you ask one of the gypo's at the Ilko tip they'll let you rummage through one of their skips.. you won't be guaranteed to find a Mullard EF84, but you'll nodoubt find something useful..

whilst searching for some angle iron I once found a pair of luminous socks and a pair of winklepickers, not exactly what I wanted, but at least it enabled me to go uptown at the weekend looking semi respectable... and they only charged me a tenner!

From downtown Sawley, Ilko tip is our official dumping site.

As we found out to our cost when we were thrown out of the Stapleford Tip!

"I've been thrown out of better places than this!"

I wondered what my missus did with those socks!

• 6 months later...

Ahhh a 6F22..... I have over a 1000 brand new vauum tubes, been searching for some for an old Drake T4XC transmitter I aquired. I've located several, but still need a few more. All I need then is the matching receiver and power supply.

Be nice to get it on air and have that old glow of tubes coming to life!

• 2 months later...

This thread brings back memories of me trawling around the second hand shops, scrounging for old TV's and radios at very cheap prices.

It was my hobby in those days to tinker with TV's and Radios.

One particular shop I used spend a lot of time in, was 'Skeltons' on Alfred St South.

That shop was crammed to the rafters with old tv's, radios, and army surplus gear.

His prices were always very reasonable. To him it was junk while it remained on the shelves unsold. To me it was a treasure trove, always came through with the bit I was looking for to bring an old radio,or tv back to life.

I remember that shop too. I thought it waS Alfred Street Central? I could be wrong?

A treasure trove in those days.

Anyone know where I can get a frame hold chip for a Sanyo?

Todays equivilent of the EF86 valve

Do you also remember the little street opposite where they had a workshop where you would carry those incredibly heavy batteries for the radios to be recharged? Then came along Redifusion in about 1948 and hooked everyone into their system, and you could listen to Dick Barton,special agent as clear as day (and Jock and Snowy of course). boombox2 Ooh one other thing my very first girlfriend(age 5-Ann Cropper lived next to it!(the Battery place). I made my poor old mum ask her mum if she could come to the cinema(a very swish Cavendish in those days.) I also wondered why huge displays of 303 rifles were exhibited there at that time.(probably a forerunner of things to come in St. Anns!!!

The Skelton’s shop was definitely on Alfred St South. I lived just around the corner in a two up and two down rented terrace house on Kings Lynne Terrace, just off Turner Street.

The only reason I can remember it so well, is because, I used to buy an old TV, or radio, and carry it up Turner street, then up 12 stone steps which led to Kings Lynne Terrace.

Even though they were not big forty inch jobs, they were still very heavy.

The good thing about those tv’s in those days, you could just dive in with a soldering iron as thick as poker. Imagine using the same gear nowadays. To be honest, I wouldn’t know where to start.

• 5 years later...

My memories go back to the Meadows, we lived on Wilford Grove , during the late 1950,s my job

was to take to the corner shop, the wireless accumulator ( battery) to be recharged,

if i forgot any time ,my name would be mud,(it happened more than once i,ll tell you).

a bit different to what we have now days.

Dennis..

• 2 weeks later...

I bought 2 ...19 sets, Army walkie talkie and they worked didnt know it was illegal to Tx to each other but no body would have noticed a kid on a bike with a 40lb backpack & a 10ft whip anntenna riding round saying Can you hear me.,Can you hear me, Can you hear me now.