Out Of Date Food

Just to push our luck,

We have just polished off some Damsons that I stewed and put to the bottom of the Freezer, not last Autumn, but the one before. Lovely with Custard (in Date) I found the Guzgogs , frozen the same year as the Damsons. We will test them out soon. Lol. Daren't take to many risks at once.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife is terrible with out of date foods, she regularly empties the cupboards to check and throws it all out ! It annoys the hell out of me, as I hate waste of any kind, food or otherwise. I cannot

Definitely not the kind who built the British Empire, where curry was invented to mask the stench of rotting beef on the menu. IMHO far too often this "vulnerable people" thing goes well over the top

I had a new freezer last week. It stated in the instructions that food can last for years in the freezer as long as there are no power outtages. Food that has been in more than a couple of years may b

When dating on canned food started (70s i think) many companys sprang to life in the re-labelling business,they removed the dates and put their own labels on the product, i personally know 2 people who became very very wealthy using this practice.

Made some mint and gooseberry jelly the other day, using mainly my own gusgogs but topped up with some of my mum's, out of the freezer, dated.......1975!! Jelly was loverly and set well :jumping:

• Upvote 3

We freeze bread and take what we need, it will stay fresh for several weeks before drying out, then what's dried out becomes bread crumbs for home made stuffing and coating chicken breasts etc...

Milk, we buy ours in plastic bottles, empty a little out into one in the fridge and freeze the bottles. I keep three in the spare fridge thawing out and keep three thawed out in our main fridge.

I've found pork and pork sausage meat does go rancid in the freezer after a few months, beef tend to dry out over time.

We do buy meat in bulk, ground, steaks and for roasting joints, gets cut and divided into meal sized portions then wrapped well and frozen.

Tip for gardeners, put seed in plastic bags, squeeze the air out, seal and keep in your freezer, they last several years before they won't germinate any more...

• Upvote 1

I'll get the recipe next time I'm home Carni, and post it on here for you :)

• Upvote 1

Recipe:

1. Take a bag of 39yr old guzgogs.

2. ...........

I wonder how many will get past No.1?!

SWMBO recetly made a batch of wine with yeast that has been out of date since July 2009 - and it worked.

I've only made wine once and that was in the 70's. It was called 'Tropical Fruit' and I made about 20/30 bottles. We took a lot of it with us when we went on holiday to our friends farm near Fishguard, Wales. It tasted fantastic and my wife and I were drinking it all the time and walking around like spaced-out hippies. We decided to knock it on the head after that...lol

• 3 months later...

While enjoying my honeycomb I read on the box that 'Honey is one of the oldest and purest foods known to man. It has been found in beeswax-sealed pots in the tombs of pharaohs well over 2,000 years old and still perfectly edible'. Imagine my disappointment when the 'Best Before' date was 2017, not 4017. Perhaps it had just been on the supermarket shelf for a very long time.

'Best Before': foods are still safe to eat after the date as long as they and/or their containers are not damaged, deteriorated or perished......The 'best before' date simply indicates that the product may lose some of its quality after this date.

Foods can be even be legally sold here in Australia after a 'best before' date as long as they are not damaged, deteriorated or perished and, providing these foods are stored correctly, you can expect them to retain their colour, taste, texture and flavour. These foods include canned foods, cereals, biscuits, sauces, chocolate, sugar, flour and frozen foods.

Even so, your own commonsense will dictate your actions in this regard.

HOWEVER,

'Use-By': foods, including milk, sliced ham, and shaved meats, are a different kettle of fish and must be eaten or thrown away by the date prescribed.

It is illegal to sell such foods after a 'use-by' date, as the foods may be unsafe to eat even if they look fine, because the nutrients in the food may become unstable or a build-up of bacteria may occur.

• Upvote 1

While cleaning my cupboard under the stairs out on Saturday I decided it was time to throw the box of Liqourice Allsorts away that was given to my husband at Christmas 2011. We had so many Sweets that year that they got left on the shelf and forgotton about. They were dated 15.3.2012. Chris opened them and even though the colours were faded, they were still soft. We decided to try one. So seeing as they were bought for him, I thought it only fair to let him have the first one!! They tasted fine and we consumed the lot. No nasty after effects. Normally they would have been thrown away very soon after the date. What a waste.

• Upvote 2

Curried out-of-date tinned beans mixed with fresh beans from the garden for tea tonight. Bought the out-of-date beans from an Asian supermarket last time I was in Bolton.

Dunno about out of date food. I worked at the Marriot Hotel kitchen at Breadsall Priory yesterday morning. The amount of breakfast food thrown away after breakfast finished was obscene. Including Hash browns, bacon and large quantities of plain yogurt and fruit juice.