A long time ago I left town for a while, and only came back a few years ago, and it was interesting to see what had changed, and what had stayed the same, while I'd been away.

The first thing I noticed, that had changed, was my accent.

Born and bred here, but everyday I'm asked where I come from, because of my accent.

A friend told me yesterday he thought it was South African, but I've never been near South Africa in my life, so I don't know where that came from, and he's the only one who's ever suggested it.

Next thing I noticed was that the young uns have got a lot younger.

Years ago they were my age, but now they seem a lot younger than me.

I'm also amused by the looks they give me when I talk about shopping, before the Vic centre, and the Broadmarsh, They look at you funny, and it's if they think those two centres are big monoliths that have been there since the dawn of time.

I'm sure with some of these kids if you told them that Robin Hood used to shop at Boots in the Vic centre they wouldn't question it.

& that tram, didn't we rip up the tram tracks years ago?

I left here and we didn't have a tram, I come back and we have one again.

Does anyone here use it?

I've used it once, but it didn't thrill me, it's not as fun as the rides on the Forest that it takes you past, at Goose Fair time.

It seems to cost a lot of money, for the number of people who use it, but I'm not an accountant, so what would I know?

I was here up till the early/mid 90's, and I've been back a few years now, so I wasn't gone that long, but it was long enough for Forest to lose their sparkle, which would upset my dad, as he was Forest through and through (but then everyone supported the local teams, back then, while today the streets are filled with Liverpool and United shirts, whatever next, Derby County?)

Firework season seemed to grow in my absence, from bonfire night, to half of winter, but that seems to have happened everywhere in England, so I shouldn't be surprised.

• Upvote 3
Probably, you used to still see little sections dotted around the town.

I've just replied to a thread about Church Drive in Carrington and certainly in the 80's there was still a section of old track up near the coal yard that used to be just off Church Drive, so they probably did spend some time and money somewhere removing tram tracks so they could lay some tram tracks.

Only in Nottingham

I love this city but we have a history for madness, such as...

ballooning-in-nottingham.jpg

... setting fire to hot-air balloons when we get bored
  • Upvote 1

When I go back to Nottingham, people in shops seem to treat me like a tourist, mainly if I am with my family, because the kids are always speaking with their mother in French, even though they can speak English better than me, once we went to Cineworld, and the person selling the tickets said, " there are no subtitles on this film " . And in shops they seem to speak slowly, as if they think I cannot understand English too well, but they get a shock when I put on my best Notts accent, when I reply........

When they speak slowly do they shout too? I've noticed some members of staff tend to shout any campers from abroad here, as I try to hide under the counter in embarrassment!

The apparatus for making hydrogen broke down however and the crowd who had been waiting from 12 noon to 7 pm lost patience and set fire to it.

I just love that. Beautiful Nottingham attitude. Probably hasn't changed much over the centuries. :)

Funny. When I returned to live in Nottingham after five years living in Glasgow, all my new workmates called me Haggis and found it hard to believe that I was born here.

My Nottingham accent has mellowed over the years, but it has happened without my noticing. I have spoken to people who have moved to different areas and have adopted the accents very quickly, I have been living away from Nottingham since 1966 and still have my accent. People often ask me where i come from and friends will take the micky out of me (in fun), I love it and i am proud when i am asked where i come from. I find my self eves dropping if i hear the Nottingham accent being spoken, not to hear what they are saying but how they are saying it. Can't wait to be among you Nottinghamites next week, put your best Nottingham accents on for me Miducks. :Friends:

My Nottingham accent has mellowed over the years, but it has happened without my noticing. I have spoken to people who have moved to different areas and have adopted the accents very quickly, I have been living away from Nottingham since 1966 and still have my accent. People often ask me where i come from and friends will take the micky out of me (in fun), I love it and i am proud when i am asked where i come from. I find my self eves dropping if i hear the Nottingham accent being spoken, not to hear what they are saying but how they are saying it. Can't wait to be among you Nottinghamites next week, put your best Nottingham accents on for me Miducks. :Friends:

I just hope you haven't adopted the accent of someone from Dudleoiy in the West Midlands. Couldn't put up sitting listening to that in the pub next week :jumping:

#9 The Pianoman

Hiya, we just had a giggle at your post above, you are quite safe, i still talk in Nottingham lingo. BUT my hubs, Chris, is proper Black Country. He has a Wolverhampton accent, not as strong as Dudleoiy though. I have told him its his turn to be out numbered for a change.

What really amuses me about people from Dudleoiy, and it seems specific to Dudleoiy, is that are not happy to just tell you they come from Dudleoiy, they have to say 'I come from Dudleoiy - in the West Midlands'. As if yow could come from anywhere else talking loiyke that!

I used to see the language thing from the opposite side of the coin when I lived in Ibiza. Customers coming up to me saying " DO,,, YOU ,,, SPEAKA,,,DA,,, ENGLISH?" (I kid you not) To which I would often reply (In a heavy Spanish accent) "No I don't speaka da English" then dropping the accent "I do speak English though!"

It was also good listening to the locals talking about us (Not knowing that some of us had gone to the trouble of learning the language) Describing what they would/ could/ should do to the girls, how they could fight all the boys, and were scared of no one We would then answer them back with a few 'choice' words of our own and watch them cringe into a corner with embarrassment.!

A man from Dudleoiy went into a retro-clothing shop to be kitted out. He was asked if he would like a tank top. "Yes ploise", he said. "That would be very noice". "And would sir like some flared trousers"? "Great", said the customer. "That would be roilly great". "Now", he was asked, "how about a kipper tie"? His customer was keen. " That's very koind of yow", he said. "Oill have milk and two sugars thank yow".

• Upvote 4

Dudley was always "funny" place. The town of Dudley was an exclave of Worcestershire within Staffordshire. But to complicate matters a little more the precincts of Dudley Castle were an enclave of Staffordshire within the town of Dudley.

It's now all, very boringly, West Midlands. I tell a lie: the metropolitan county of the West Midlands ceased to exist over twenty five years ago.

Hands up anyone who can explain Dudley's current status.

Dudley was always "funny" place. The town of Dudley was an exclave of Worcestershire within Staffordshire. But to complicate matters a little more the precincts of Dudley Castle were an enclave of Staffordshire within the town of Dudley.

It's now all, very boringly, West Midlands. I tell a lie: the metropolitan county of the West Midlands ceased to exist over twenty five years ago.

Hands up anyone who can explain Dudley's current status.

Apparently it is now a unitary authority called the Metropolitan Borough of Dudley - sorry Dudleoiy.

I bet they found some old tram tracks when they installed the new ones?

I was one of those annoying goth kids who used to hang around market square during the time of the installation of the new tram lines. And I remember walking past where they ripped up the road and there was tarmac.. then a layer of cobbles... And then running along was the old tram lines! Wish I grabbed a pic, then again I don't think I even had a camera phone.

I wished I'd photographed the trees on University Blvd. before the new tramlines being installed back in 2013.

I often stopped at the university for a flask of coffee, I could have made myself a bacon sandwich, but in

those days Smart phones were not fitted with Solar Grills.

• Upvote 1

I used to cycle down the boulevard daily en route to Plessey in Beeston from my flat in Canning Circus. I had no idea the trees had gone - disaster!