Mansfield Road at Night - Year Unknown?

Back from Multimap.......

Bluecoat Street is on both sides of Mansfield Road.

The right turn is the short road leading to North Sherwood Street and the left turn is the even shorter road to the Huntingdon Street lights....

Main reservation over my guess is the seemingly empty stretches of land on the right hand side, but the slight left kink in the road as it approaches Parliament Street seems about right.

I'm clueless over the buildings....certainly the huge one on the left looks to be of some importance.

Cheers

Robt P.

Sorry but you've got it the wrong way round. It's taken looking UP Mansfield Rd from Milton St. Taken from outside what is now Jessops,to the left what is now Trinity Sq.The large building on the L is the Mechanics Hall and cinema to the front.,over the rd but can't be seen would be Vic station. Passed there on the R is that pub that no one could remember the name of the other week,also the brewery chimney in the background.

Dont know when it was taken but i'd guess about the same time as the YMCA photo the other week as the street lamps look the same.

I'm sure you are exactly right......well done.

The empty area that bothered me is of course the recessed forecourt of Nottingham Vic!

Nevertheless, I have maintained my hard earned reputation of diving in too quick, and getting it completely wrong.

Cheers

Robt P.

On the left used to be the church in Trinity Square, I thought I recognised the building that is the Mechanics Institute, but couldn't put a nmae to it.

Been a long while now since the church was demolished.

When I moved to Nottingham in 1963 I remember the Mechanics Cinema opposite the Victoria Hotel.

It had a double set of concrete ballistraded steps at the front.

Must have been knocked down mid-late 60s?

I can even remember a Disney movie I saw there?

Pretty Bl00dy scary for a Disney movie!

drsyn.jpg

Walt Disney's

'Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow'

or The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh (1964)

22m.jpg

Patrick McGoohan .... Dr. Christopher Syn

Also stars George Cole, Tony Britton and Michael Horden.

Dr. Syn, a country priest leads a rebel band against the King's naval press gangs. Press gangs (impressment) roam the country side beating young men into submission or unconsciousness, usually at local inns and pubs, in order to enslave them in the Royal British Navy. Dr. Syn conceals his secret identity behind a sackcloth mask, and carries on activities ala Scarlet Pimpernel and Zorro from his parish base.

drsyn3.jpg

LINKS...

Dr. Syn, the Scarecrow - internationalhero.co.uk

The Life and Times of the Rev. Doctor Christopher Syn, Parson, Smuggler, and Sometime Pirate - by Matthew Baugh

lips0 If i had been on the internet before today i would have beaten angi to it, she's spot on, the chemney gives it away that's the original Nottingham Brewery meduk.....Anyway i'm of out now, going down for a quick one in the Charlton arms, sorry mick, but i will be in there until they chuck me out.

• 2 years later...
Sorry but you've got it the wrong way round. It's taken looking UP Mansfield Rd from Milton St. Taken from outside what is now Jessops,to the left what is now Trinity Sq.The large building on the L is the Mechanics Hall and cinema to the front.,over the rd but can't be seen would be Vic station. Passed there on the R is that pub that no one could remember the name of the other week,also the brewery chimney in the background.

Dont know when it was taken but i'd guess about the same time as the YMCA photo the other week as the street lamps look the same.

'Passed there on the R is that pub that no one could remember the name of the other week'

would that pub have been The Roebuck, or am i thinking too far up the road?

Orcada.

'Passed there on the R is that pub that no one could remember the name of the other week'

Orcada.

thairs no pub on Mansfield road that's named the Roebuck...

Bip.

thairs no pub on Mansfield road that's named the Roebuck...

Bip.

Arh, but there used to be - I think it's now called the Bensons?

Was the pub called The Rose Of England

The Rose of England is now known as The Rose I beleive...it once was the Brewery tap to the Nottingham Brewery which unfortunatley isn't there anymore....Behind the Plough public house in Radford can be found the new Nottingham Brewery albeit a smaller outfit....

Bip.

Bensons or whatever it's called now is opposite Shakespear St. Further up is the Yorker/Rose on the corner of Union St.

Further up from that on the same side used to be a pub called the Roebuck, which is now demolished.

Den

Bensons or whatever it's called now is opposite Shakespear St. Further up is the Yorker/Rose on the corner of Union St.

Further up from that on the same side used to be a pub called the Roebuck, which is now demolished.

Den

That’s very interesting den thanks........so the enigma of Bensons still remains?

Bip.

Welcome Orcada, thank you for bumping this topic.

The name Roebuck is familiar, Where exactly was it?

Went past the Yorker/ Rose yesterday evening to see it was up for sale

• 2 months later...
Welcome Orcada, thank you for bumping this topic.

The name Roebuck is familiar, Where exactly was it?

Hi,

It was called The Roebuck until 1981, The Old Moore's Tavern till 1985, The Empire until 1989 then renamed Bobby Brown's Cafe from 1989-95. It has since been demolished, rebuilt and is Shawes art shop and 'yuppy type' flats, right up to the corner of woodborough road corner. but as you looked at it from the front, the left wall would have been where the Wesleyan Chapel (many years before) would have been and the right wall joined onto York House.

p.s. I don't think it has any relation to the Roebuck on St. James St. Nottm.

• 2 years later...

The side of Mechanics Hall and cinema (opposite was to become Trinity Square carpark) was the site of Nottingham's first ATM. The bank was NatWest (which I think had a branch in this building at the time). The ATM used to take your card and give you cash ... the card was then sent back to you in the mail. My Dad used this ATM in the early 70's.

im sure you know of this site but if not, its very interesting www.nottingham21.co.uk . some cracking photos albeit onl a few years old but no doubt will soon be nostsalgia for us.