There was a nice story on the news this morning it involved the sale of one of americas first printed religous books forgot what it fetched but several million dollars anyway the people that sold it will use money for homeless and people down on their luck the people that brought it intend displaying it across america so every american can view it if they so wish. Everyones a winner

• Upvote 5

Summut else nice i skyped my grandkids at the weekend something ive done every weekend since thefirst was born to be honest its the highlight of my week anyway hes 5 yrs old and like most kids he is computer savvy anyway we played a game he put on our screens where you collect points for the right answers and although he did ok he did not have enough points to get the best toys on his screen so i told him to save them till this weekend however last night 12 35am the phone woke me up witha start a little voice said grandad can we play that game and get them points itwould have been tea time iseattle whilst is mum had popped out to the bin hed got my number and phoned me needless to say she was not very happy with him but to me thats what makes you love the little blighters .I wished they lived in england

• Upvote 5
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems to be a joint effort nowadays in our family, as we have 6 daughters between us. I usually provide the wedding cake, cos that's what I do best and we help where we can. It will be our daughters second marriage, so we are just so pleased that she has found happiness again.

• Upvote 1

darkazana,

Six Daughters, How wonderful, My Mum was one of six sisters and they all would congregate at our house at weekends,(husbands as well),big sing a longs, dancing round the lounge. I bet you don't have a quiet moment when you are all together. Fabulous, Best wishes for the engagement and future wedding.

Tomorrow, my grandchild becomes a teenager, and she doesn't want a party as such, she just wants her parents and as she affectionately calls us 'The Olds', we are having Tikka Masala and all the trimmings or Mcdonalds Happy Meals,(yet to be decided), and i hope some Cake! What happened to Sandwiches and jelly and cakes and icecream! I don't care what we have to eat, i am just thrilled to be in her gang. When your 13yr old wants to be with your 65yr old, what a compliment that is. :Friends:

• Upvote 1

Youve obviously done something right have a good time at a speicial occasion for you and your grandaughter i wouldnt break dance or do flips if i was you.Get plenty of photos they are only thirteen once .its a good job you come across young innit.

• Upvote 1

Carni,

Yes it does get a bit rowdy round here at times, we used to have get togethers in the summer so that we could all be in the garden, but as we now work away for the summer we will be having all the girls with their respective families a couple of days after Christmas.....think we may have to retreat to the caravan!!! :crazy:

Have a lovely birthday meal with your grand daughter.

We still have birthday party teas with sandwiches, jelly and blancmange, for us "olds"....yummy.

We have just the one Grandchild with no chance of any more so he is that bit special.

He has just announced that he is going to be Joseph. Soooo.....

The house is under a cloud of vocalisationing...."knock, knock, knock, do you have any room"..said to every one present.

The answer has to be "sorry no room here" because if you answer yes we have come on in, you get the biggest glare in the world followed by a schtum silence as he tries to think what comes next.

• Upvote 4

The loveliest thing about young Grandchildren is that they don't understand about saying or doing funny things which make it all the better when things are said or done that is so unusual and charming. Usually it's a case of "you had to be there" when things are said but they become memories that can be brought out and viewed time after time with no diminishing of the pleasure.

• Upvote 1

There was a nice story on the news this morning it involved the sale of one of americas first printed religous books forgot what it fetched but several million dollars anyway the people that sold it will use money for homeless and people down on their luck the people that brought it intend displaying it across america so every american can view it if they so wish. Everyones a winner

This is interesting. In Mark Twain's excellent book, 'Roughing It', he describes how a sack of flour, with an interesting history of its own, was taken from town to town of America and auctioned off to the highest bidder, who invariably sent it off to be sold again. The proceeds went to the United States Sanitary Commision for, 'wounded soldiers and sailors of the Union languishing in the Eastern hospitals'. History repeating itself in the name of humanity? Good to see!

• Upvote 1

I know this is off-thread but in a way it's following on from the above thread . When I was in the Royal Marines there was (or still is ), a custom that upon the death of any Marine in action, like the army, all the military equipment is returned to stores, but unlike the army, all personal effects plus those of a military bent but non -reusable, are auctioned off at the first opportunity with all the raised capital being sent straight to the next of kin. Absurd amounts of money are offered for a cap badge for example and then being thrown back in for rebidding. In this manner the next of kin gets quite a bit of money(and of course help) at the very moment when life has suddenly become unbearable.

I only hope that this custom is still being carried out.

• Upvote 2

My wife and I went to the Nottingham Arts Theatre to see 'Sleeping Beauty' and really enjoyed it. There must have been about 60/70 little schoolchildren in the audience and the noise they made everytime Fairy Black (the baddie) appeared was unbelievable...lol. What I really appreciated was seeing some of the cast waiting outside the theatre to meet everyone. They were still in their costumes and must have been freezing in the cold. I've added a photo of some of them.

SAM_1851_zps64dc835b.jpg

• Upvote 3