Boxing Day Lunch

If i had to chose my favorite meal from Christmas Dinner Or Boxing Day i would not know as i enjoy them both as much. Today at 11am we alway's have my Sis and Hubbs and any of my Kids who want to come back for Bubble and Squeak, Cold Meats, Pickles, Baked Beans and those little french bread thingies that you buy half baked and cook for about 6mins, so they are nice and crispy. Followed by All the Desserts left from Christmas Day. Gone are the days of Big Family Parties, i can't take it any more. Could i be growing old. What ever you do i hope you enjoy our day.

• Upvote 1

Reminds me of Monday lunch in the years when I was a kid. We'd have normal roast dinner on a Sunday, and then on Monday it was the left-over cold meat with cooked veg. I used to really like that combination of hot/cold and in a way, Monday lunch - which was partly "the remains" - was my favourite of the week.

My favourite sunday tea as a kid was all the left over veg mashed and bound together with an egg. Bubble and squeek with brown sauce. Still havnt found anything to beat it

The 'Bubble and Squeak' on Boxing day is well planned these days, I was never a good judge of amounts to prepare, so i always did to much, just in case. Now I cook extra Potatoes and Sprouts Christmas Day in advance, the word has got round the family and has become very popular. :)

I had all my family at home on Christmas Day for their dinner and, naturally, the star of the show was 17 day old Phoebe. On Boxing Day we had a party at my home and all my family, except my youngest son and his family who had flew off to Lanzarote for a holiday on that day, were there along with a few friends. Lots of presents were handed out and everyone had a great time. After everyone had gone home, or gone to bed, I looked around the kitchen at all the food and drink that was left and wondered how many lives it would have saved in far away countries. I don't want to end this post on a downer so I'll leave it for a different topic.

You can always depend on children to bring happiness Michael and i'm sure your lovely little Phoebe is going to give you some happy Christmas times to come, My Granddaughter became a teenager on 12th Dec but the child was still in there on Christmas Eve, to see that look on her face as she struggled to control her excitement was a memory to treasure. Little Phoebe is going to give you plenty of those moments in the future. My Granddaughter is the only one we have been blessed with as my Children wont' be having anymore, so i love every moment i spend with her, today she took every penny i had, playing Monopoly, I tell you she has a future in Real Estate. lol slywink

• Upvote 4

You're quite correct, carni, the children do bring us lots of happiness. I have seven grandchildren and they've all made me so proud of them, in their own way. Everyone wanted to be photographed as they held little Phoebe and it was lovely to see. Oh, by the way, if you've got a few quid and fancy a game of Monopoly then give me a call on .....hahaha. :biggrin:

God bless your grand-daughter Carni and god bless Phoebe. I have 5 grand-children aged from 9 to 18 and I adore them. Danielle who lives with us turned 18 on Boxing day. She is hard work but she works hard. Training for child care, she has worked at MacDonalds in her spare time. She says she can do most things like buying drinks etc now, but I think she is happy to have the option. I don't think she's really bothered. She just wants to love and be loved. Her real joy this year was to buy all her loved ones nice Christmas presents with money that she earned herself. She is learning what matters in life.

Yes. I am cash poor as hell. But I am so mega rich in other ways.

• Upvote 3

Nice to read your post Bilbraborn, we do all love our families, it is nice to read about your grand children and I wish Danielle good luck with her child Care training.Money can make life easier but not necessarily happier, We have had some very broke times in our lives but we got through, it makes you appreciate things more.

• 2 years later...

My slave is in the kitchen cooking streaky bacon, fried egg, and fresh cooked  plum toms for me. Whoar, smells fab. My turn later to cook the remains of the  bubble and squeak (three days of sprouts):Shock: and left over cold meats. TOMORROW, its back to fairly healthy eating. I think? 

Must go now.......It's ready :)

Hope you enjoyed that Carni.  Sounds fab.

As for Bubble and Squeak.  First year for ages I haven't made it for Boxing Day Brunch, because we went to my daughter's for a very nice Roast Gammon lunch.

I will have to try and plan it for sometime around new year.

Meanwhile, we have a fridge heaviing with dips, cream, sausage rolls, etc., etc. and only two of us to get through it all before the use by dates.

It's a challenge. but I'll do my best...  ;)

Col

• Upvote 1