mercurydancer

Co op Parliament Street

2 hours ago, MargieH said:

Barrie, I didn't reply, I only gave you a   'like' for  the post about your wedding day - that was because I chuckled at the thought of you all walking through the shop floor to get to the Elizabethan Rooms.  In 1966 when We got married, our venue was a lot less posh... it was the Grey Goose in Gedling and we had a buffet!!!

Thanks for getting back to me Margie. This is my problem, I don't know if folks have replied or whatever, I see xxxx has reacted to or xxxx has posted. I don't know yet what it all means or how to find etc.. Sorry I'm being dim. Kindest regards, Barrie.

Barrie, when you see that you have a notification - it will be either the little bell or the envelope - just click on it.  It will then  take you to the post that someone has liked or open up a private message from someone.  I'll send you a private message now so you can open it and reply to me, then you'll see how it works

• Like 1

As you know, I always deeply respected Bob so what I say next is not intended to attack a good man who is not here to defend himself.  If you asked Bob to define his religion he would answer, as he did to me once.  "I'm a liberal Christian."  Trimmed to it's basics we might translate that as, believe what you want.  Jesus was a good man try to follow his teachings.  A slippery slope.  At that point God becomes a God of the gaps. What we can't explain by our science must be God's doing.  I'm not trying to start a religious debate so don't block me.;)  I'm just trying to explain that seeming anomaly as best I can.  So we might say Physics is exact science, but where the Bible seems to disagree the Bible must be wrong.  Needless to say we had some lively, even acrimonious debates in his later years.  That is probably enough said at this point.

• Upvote 1

Bob used to run the Christian Union Society as a weekly after school activity. I never attended so I didn’t know what went on. I remain in blissful ignorance to this day.

I never knew  Bob did that after school activity.  He never mentioned it but I don't suppose he would.

I have also wondered how he would defend his statement that 'Physics is an exact science,' today.  Did he mean Newtonian physics? or something else?  I'm no expert on physics but from items I read it would seem that many of the longterm teachings of physics are questionable today.

I know he sure helped me with the math I had to deal with in my apprenticeship.  I don't mean he did it for me but he had a real gift of explaining the principles and then letting me work it out in the questions. My MIL Mary had also been a teacher.  Retired by the time I knew her so Janet got a solid grounding in education.

My secondary school experience of teachers had not been good.  with few exceptions I found them sarcastic and if they couldn't beat you down that way there was always the cane.  On the night I met Janet and saw her home, Naturally we talked about our backgrounds.  I asked her what her dad did for a living and she said he was a teacher.  I nearly got off the bus at the next stop.  He was waiting for the bus at the stop on Burton rd.  I didn't even know how to speak to him.  I referred to him as 'sir'.  Type of guy he was , he didn't say thanks for bringing her home, goodnight.  Rather, he said to her, "Well you don't need me to walk you down the street"  and off he went leaving us to enjoy the last few minutes of the evening.  As things went I was to discover that teachers lived normal home lives, watching tv, reading the paper etc.  Not sitting home dreaming up new ways of inflicting misery on schoolboys.  As a whole family they renewed my faith in humanity.

Sorry for long post.  you've got me going on a topic close to my heart.

• Like 1