What was hanging on your walls?

In my house, it was nowt! The only thing I ever remember hanging on a wall was the mirror over the sideboard, on the back wall opposite the fireplace. Nothing over the fireplace. In my friends' houses, I remember a few photos hanging on their walls. We had a picture rail around the living room when I was really little, but my dad took it down when he decorated. I don't remember anything on my grandparents walls either. Nowadays, we don't have a blank wall anywhere in the house!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was not on my wall, but this battered old mirror hung above my G-Parents Hearth In Chatsworth Avenue, Carlton. It was a Wedding Gift. When G-Ma passed away, it would have been thrown away. So I

When I was in my late teens 60-64 my bedroom wall was covered in beer mats(450) and pics of Brigitte Bardot, Marianne Faithfull, The Stones, and Pretty Things. I left home for about six months in 65 a

Mantle piece clock, mirror above, horses, trout and a plaque on the wall, probably a windmill or waterwheel scene, the ornaments bought on the last holiday. I will say for the Goose Fair ornaments, th

Posted Images

When I was in my late teens 60-64 my bedroom wall was covered in beer mats(450) and pics of Brigitte Bardot, Marianne Faithfull, The Stones, and Pretty Things. I left home for about six months in 65 and on my return dad had ripped them all off on mothers orders. He had to get the room re plastered as the mats were stuck on with flour and water paste and the old plaster came off too. He was annoyed, as the house was barely two years old. I think my mother thought I was going off the rails, little did she know what was to come . Ha ha .

• Upvote 3

You've reminded me of a time my mam 'wallpapered' the bog, with cut out coloured adverts from magazines. She stuck them up overlapping each other higglety-pigglety, at least it was something to look at while you sat there!

• Upvote 1

I should have done that with my singles, Mick, then I wouldn't have had one that warped cos it got too close to something warm. It was Almost There by Andy Williams. It still played OK but looked like a life on the ocean wave as it went round.

My dad decided to put murals (Coronation Street Muriels LOL) in all the bedrooms. I remember having picture of the River Glaslyn near Beddgelert in mine. Apart from the usual family photos I can't remember what hung in the rest of the house. I used to stick pop pics from FABULOUS 208 paper on my own bedroom walls and I used to hang Airfix model WW2 aeroplanes on my ceiling. My mum got fed up with all the dust and made me take them down.

In my bedroom, Shared with my sister.

Apart from ...I Luv Billy ( Fury) and Big red lipstick kisses lips0 all over the walls . A dirty great big Ban The Bomb covering the entire ceiling..( painted on while Mam and Dad were out shopping. Lots of Boys names xxxx and Hearts. and pictures of Andy Williams :Kiss: apart from all that....nothing really. Lol

Ps, I forgot the Chewing Gum!

• Upvote 1

Mum hung the wallpaper and Dad did the painting in our house. There was a mirror over the fireplace and a couple of pictures on the walls. When I was about 15 I decided to decorate my bedroom. One wall was covered in pages cut out of a pop magazine, David Essex being a favourite, oooooh he was so handsome (and still is in my opinion). Can't remember the name of the magazine, would it have been 'Fab'? For another wall I cadged old wallpaper books from the hardware shop where I had a Saturday job. It took me ages but I used a compass and cut out hundreds of circles from all the different patterns, stuck them on the wall, with wallpaper adhesive, all overlapping. It was certainly different and kept me quiet for a while. That stayed the same for a number of years until I got fed up with it and then Mum took over the wallpapering duties and stuck a more sensible pattern up.

When we got our first home, when we were married, we pasted hessian on one wall of our lounge, it was bottle green! Glad our tastes have changed!

Apart from the 70's style flowery/psychedelic wallpaper, purple and pink mainly I think, lots of David Cassidy piccies and anyone else I fancied but can't remember their names. Also had a red light bulb which seemed like a good idea at the time,( :ohmy:) but that didn't last for long....gave me headaches.

I distinctly remember Mum having some very rude wall paper in the dining room....It was called Prudence, was in sepia and showed a young lady from the back slightly turned to look over her shoulder with some material draped around her but missing the upper region!! It was actually a very demure looking young lady, but entertainment value when people came into the dining room? Priceless!

The mirror over the fireplace and a succession of plaques come to mind. Those plaques usually came from a holiday, pictured a windmill with mill wheel and when they were broken, made great marking chalk.

In the living room above the fireplace Mam and Dad had a picture of a famous bridge some where in Holland, Apparently they had been where ever it was on holiday and had some nice memories of the area. On the opposite wall (The first thing you saw when entering the room) they had a very large portrait of my Three Sisters and mwah, we had it taken professionally as a surprise gift for them. The problem was, as we didn't get together very often, we stayed up into the early hours celebrating. When it came to having the Photograph taken the next day, we were all the worse for wear. Four hangovers, Blurry Eyes, Flopped frizzy perms, 1980s big hair! That Portrait haunted us all for the next twenty years. We still laugh about it, but I don't know which unlucky sister inherited it, it certainly wasn't me!

Nothing on our walls either back then apart from wallpaper and a large mirror over the fireplace in the front room; smaller mirrors in other rooms.

Photographs of the family or relatives were in frames on the sideboards or mantelpieces or on top of the wardrobes in the bedrooms.

Come to think about it, what with fireplaces, mantelpieces, bookshelves, mirrors, sideboards and wardrobes; there was not much room left for pictures.

However, I do remember to this day a picture on the wall in my Gran's house in West Bridgeford. It was on the wall next to the entrance door to the sitting room and was of the young Royalist child facing a Roundhead Inquisition and was entitled 'When Did You Last See Your Father'.

It was not until some years later that I realised the meaning of that picture and my Gran's somewhat perverted sense of humour.........................her husband had walked out on her and their five young children in the mid 20s and Gran had brought them up on her own.......no mean feat in those days.

Well my Mum was well into embroidery and just before she died (and she knew she didn't have long to live) in 1988 she worked a tapestry for me of 'When Did You Last See Your Father'. Back then I was very happy to hang it on our wall (it was pretty big), but for the last several years it's been tucked away in a cupboard. I'll never get rid of it but tastes change over the years so I think it will remain hidden away.

• Upvote 1

On my Grans hallway wall on Wilford grove hung an old wall clock (would that be a grandmother clock?) with the slowest "tick tock" you ever heard, stared at that clock for ages when I were a nipper

Rog

In the lounge of my Mums house hangs an old oil painting, a portrait of who we think is Falstaff. When Mum and Dad first got it from Aunty Kitty after she died, they kept it in the bedroom, on the floor propped up against the wall. Mum decided she didn't like the old man leering at her at bedtime so she turned the picture to the wall. That night there was loud knocking in the room which both her and my Dad heard and then footsteps walking round the bed! They were both talking abut it the next morning.

Needless to say Falstaff went up on the wall in the lounge pretty quickly. He has stayed reasonably quiet since then, apart from when he threw himself off the wall a few years ago, damaging the canvas. Mum had him repaired and put back up so he continues to watch over us!

Next time I'm over there I'll see if I can photograph it. It's quite a dark picture but will have a go