Melissa's recent topic on nostalgia got me thinking about books I have enjoyed and have become firm favourites with me.

I look upon them as old friends who I can revisit whenever I want and pick up their company again.

They sit quietly in my bookcase, ever patient, never complaining, always ready to please.

I have many, a handful are noted here:-

"Spies" (Michael Frayn), "Great Meadow" (Dirk Bogarde) & "The Testament of Gideon Mack" (James Robertson).

I will list others in due course.

What are your favourites?

Smiffy

• Upvote 1

I LOVE BOOKS Smiffy,my wife says i have too many but like you many i consider "old friends",however over the last couple of years i have been giving them to family as presents,(bit of a cheapskate).i am not into much in the way of fiction.I have many Autobiographys on Actors,sportsmen and Politicians.I also enjoy books on silly lists,History and travel,especialy places ive been or going.

I collect books I've bought about fifty this year.

My main interests are British history 1688 -1860 (ish)

Nottingham & shire( I have a nice little collection of directories)

I enjoy fiction and non-fiction. I've just finished a biography of Enid Blyton and it brought home to me just how prolific a writer she was. I dare say most of us have enjoyed her books at some time or another.

• Upvote 1

We have a wall of bookshelves in one room, absolutely heaving with books, and others around the house. We are prolific readers and own an eclectic range of books, reference, biographies, fiction, classics and complete works eg Hardy, Shakespeare, Orwell as well as chick lit and lighter reading.

• Upvote 1

my mum always brought us enid blyton clasics for cristmasalways one in our stockings think she enjoyed them as much as we did and she still had most of them hidden away when she died always well read she tought us all to read and rite our names before we went to schoolmum was always an avid reader she could get through a book in a day or two always at carlton libary to pick up books and reading the daily papers, in them day it was the big broad sheets and she always stood up to read them couse she was very small and it was the only way she could read them without creasing or ripping them she was also blind in one eye from a very young age so the paper was always close up and at an angle so she could see with her good eye. one of my favoerite authors was james herbert the rats the lair and early books held my attentionclosely folowed by the falconhursts serieis by lance horner and kyle oncotte.

• Upvote 3

Tom Sharp has done some great books, but my all time fav is Frederick Forsyth's "The Odessa File" far better than the film.

The book I read was, 'Looking For Enid' by Duncan McLaren. It was interesting because in parts he wrote from the point of Blyton type characters and referred to the book by Enid's daughter Imogen quite often. Whatever Enid Blyton was, she was certainly a character and you have to admire her capacity for work.

I collect old and new books, my office is crammed full of them, the oldest I have is, Method and history of insects by John Ray published in 1705, but my favourite book at the moment is Waterlog by Roger Deakin, I say at the moment, because my favourite book always seems to change...

I have a facsimile of Deering's history of Nottingham published in 1751 (1970)

My oldest "original" is Coke & Birch paper war published 1803 it contains Addresses,Songs Squibs etc for the 1803 by-election in Nottingham

I also have a "Glover's" directory of Nottingham dated 1844 (before enclosure acts)

I have used my directories to answer yet another query

This one about the cooling towers.

My directories are dated 1844,1860,1864(2),1868,1869,1891,1916,1925,1928,1932,1936,1941,1950,1967& 1971.

Glad to have inspired your post Smiffy! I'm also an avid reader, my all time favourite book is probably Dracula by Bram Stoker! There is a brilliant book website if anyone is interested; http://www.goodreads.com you can leave review, add books you've read or want to read to particular shelves and is a fun way to talk to other fans of the same books! I'll be looking up some of the titles listed in the above posts on the site to see if they're my sort of thing!

I get paid for reviewing military history books. Not enough to live on but its something.

For military history books there is one which stands out amongst all others, Face of Battle by John Keegan. Basically he compares several battles, Agincourt, Somme, D Day, Waterloo, and describes not what the sequence of events were, but the soldiers would have seen, the size of the battle (Agincourt is surprisingly tiny as a battlefield) and goes far further than that, with the social structure of the soldiers who fought. Its by far the best military history book written.

My personal taste leans towards Ken Kesey. He wrote "One flew over the cookoo's nest" which inspired the very famous film. The book is even better. His masterpiece was "Sometimes a great notion" which is absolutely superb.

Also, I remain a fan of Alan Sillitoe.

• Upvote 1