I went to see a steam train in Golspie, Sutherland, Scotland yesterday. I chose a spot to take some photos and in the garden of the bungalow next to where I stood were two women. It was mother (Aged about 90+) and daughter (aged about early 60s). Turned out that they were originally from Eastwood and the old lady used to catch a steam train into Nottingham daily, from the local station, when she was younger.

Here's a few pics of the train:

IMG_9778.JPG?gl=GB

IMG_9767.JPG?gl=GB

IMG_9751.JPG?gl=GB

IMG_9738.JPG?gl=GB

• Upvote 7

A few years ago I was out on my lunch break and parked next to an old mini in a parking lot near work. I was taking a look at the car when its owner showed up - obviously a Brit, I asked him where he was from - "a little place near Nottingham you have probably never heard of" was his reply. I pressed the question and finally discovered he was from Long Eaton - that he went to school with my sister, and I went to school with his sister!

Last year I got talking to a neighbor here in Pentwater. She asked where I was from in the U.K. and I told her "Long Eaton" - at which she started laughing - it turns out she had been on a teacher exchange at the Long Eaton School!

Yes, it is a small world!

• Upvote 2

Small indeed. 2009, in Moscow airport before they renovated it, the international terminal and the internal flight terminals were on completely the opposite sides of the airport, needing a transfer bus which departed when the driver felt like it. After getting my passport stamped, I headed off with some intent to the bus. The flight was to Mineralnyye Vody airport, which is in the deep south of Russia, well off the beaten track. Someone behind me said - "He looks like he knows where he is going - we'll ask him" it was a Northern Irish accent, but he was more than a little surprised when I answered in English. Mostly they were Ulstermen, but one had a distinct accent. I asked where he was from. Codnor! They were mountaineers, off to the Caucasus mountains, to climb up Elbrus, which is a pretty big mountain.

As there was an 8 hour wait before the flight, and there was no bar, we went to a supermarket nearby, bought a case of beer and drank it outside the internal flight terminal until it opened. I recall falling asleep on the flight with my head on the drop down table.

• Upvote 1

When I worked at Wongawilli Colliery just south of Wollongong, my leading hand elec, (chargehand) was a Pommie, I asked him which part of the UK he was from, Nottingham he said, he then told me he served his time at Cotgrave..His Dad was a Deputy at Wongawilli, and had been a Deputy at Cotgrave too...Ironically, after Clifton had closed, I was transferred to Cotgrave, and both he and his Dad were there and yet we never bumped into each other, I had to go half way around the world to meet them...

Similar story. When I moved to Australia for work in the 70`s I was running for a train (the station was 1 minute from my house in South Melbourne) when I bumped into the Station guy who had been a n employee at a place I worked at in London. Sadly as I was late did not get his details. Never saw him again . Probably a ghost!

Again ,my wife and I were on holiday in UK at Tower of London when we came across an Australian family we had known many years before. As you say,small world.