Norton Street and Denman Street Central

Good old Post...can't even get that right...'Off Derby Road'....no it 'aint. It's off Ilkeston Road.

The Post has virtually no physical connection with Nottingham these days. The people who write that stuff have probably never been near the place and know nothing about Nottingham.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think many of us won’t have seen or heard of the film “Saturday Night & Sunday Morning” set mainly in and around Radford. Someone has gone to the trouble of photographing some of the areas in the film as they appear today whilst comparing them with yesteryear. Have a look at the link below to see the changes over the years. One thing I was surprised at was that some of the scenes were actually shot in London.

http://www.ciaranbrown.com/snasmlocations.html

• Upvote 2

when i courted (theres on old word) my wife to get her used to nottingham (shes a southerner) i took her up the castle and played the scene with Rachel Roberts and Albert Finney in the same alcove,she thought i was mad,but it worked.

• Upvote 1

The only fishing tackle shop I remember was on Ilkeston rd near the flea pit.

Had a couple of dates with a girl from Norton st till I found out her name Ada. it didn't work for me nothing wrong with the girl just her name.

you wer"nt exactly a fast worker were you dgbrit,two dates to find out her name? :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

that reminds me of the tales told to me by an old lady who lived in my mums nursing homecarnt remember her real name but we always called her daisythe story went on the lines of her friends real name was fanny which she hated so when they went out as teenagers they were always known as poppy and daisy she used to tell us tales of the things they used to get up too she always had us in tears of laughter.one tale was being in entry with two lads whan fannys mum came looking for her shoutingher mane all round the sts and them trying to pretend it was not her till mum eventually found them and draged fanny home by her ear needless to say they never saw the lads again.

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to work with Shears another forum member for J.B Armstrong's, on the top floor in that old mill, from 1972 to 1976 it was a great place to work in even though it was even in those days rather dilapidated, when I worked there the other floors were occupied with companies making knit wear, and circular knitting machines, at the Globe pub end( always good for a pint, Friday, dinner time Cristal d'Arques used to have a glass storage depot....

• Upvote 1