Hiya,

I am doing a bit of Family research again. I have come up with an Address that I can't find. Most of the old places have been flattened and this may be one of them. Mayfair House, Swains Avenue, Snienton Dale, Notts. I have found a Swains Ave off Carlton Rd and don't know if this is the same one? I also don't know about Mayfair House. Could it be Flats or a Private House? Could it be knocked down. I would like to see an image of it if anyone with the Maps can trace it for me. I know from letters that this Address was around in the last war, but that is all I have. Thank you for any help.

Check how you spelt check Michael. Sorry, just being pedantic. LOL

DOH, I did it again!!!! :biggrin:

After every thing you taught me Anorl. Lol

Thank you for investigating for me. Do you think one of those houses is the Mayfair House that I am looking for. :)

Quick on the edit button there matey. LOL

Mayfair House, Swains Avenue, Snienton Dale, Notts. I have found a Swains Ave off Carlton Rd and don't know if this is the same one? I also don't know about Mayfair House. Could it be Flats or a Private House?

Do you have the house number on Swains Avenue? or is it just Mayfair House?

hiya,

CliffTon, It's just Mayfair House, no number or post code (i don't know if they were around then). The Address is on 6 letters to my relation ( no scandal, it's all above board). I have just double checked and there is no number or any more clues. I have got the name of the person sending the letters, a girlfriend of my relation, before they all married other people. I have looked myself over the years, its the Mayfair House that baffles me!

Hi Carni I seem to recall a school for Autistic children on Swains Ave. It was called Sutherland House might that help? Somewhere close to St. Cyprians church off Lancaster Rd. Going back 20 odd years!

dat47,

Thank you for that information. I have known about Swains Ave, from the letters for years, but only just got round to looking into it. Perhaps Sutherland House might have been Mayfair House once, it's possible! All I know is the Address of the lady, who sent them. Now I know where Swains Ave is, we will go for a ride round and have a look, next time we visit Nottingham. The letters with the Address on are dated 1944 so it may or may not be there anymore . We will investigate!

i worked for a while on a work placement at sutherland house school the swains avenue school was for 5 to 11 year olds the senior schooll also called sutherland house was at that time on cedar rd mapperley park this has since been moved to a larger building on pelam ave i seem to remember the school was oridgeinaly named after the house it was first stated inbut it was nearly 20 years ago i only recently destroyed the information i had about it.

annswabey,

Thank you for looking into Swains Rd for me. The name you have turned up, is the family name of the lady who sent the letters. I have lots of letters from the war years and I am slowly working my way around the addresses. I just hoped one day I might be able to see a map with Mayfair House shown on it, as I have had no luck locating it. The house name is very clear on all of the letters, so I know I haven't made a mistake. This is only a pass time for me, putting together parts of my parents lives, long before they met. It kind of brings me close to them, and has given me a few laughs along the way. Which I know they would be laughing with me....Somewhere. Thank you for your help.

• Upvote 2

This family were all good friends of my father, but there is no mention of a brother in any of the letters. Perhaps it was all hush hush. It seems odd that we can't locate a building with the name mentioned. Unless it has changed names?

I presume you've 'travelled' up Swain's Avenue on Streetview. The houses there cover a wide range of styles and ages. I reckon your Mayfair House would've been one of the old 'farm' houses such as this. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.961006,-1.115148,3a,75y,246.68h,97.79t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sz_NAmQD6UKWyCjWijpDIEg!2e0?hl=en

That obviously isn't it, but if you zoom in on Streetview to the stone across the middle window you'll see this place has a name. Unfortunately it isn't Mayfair House.

• Upvote 1

Looks like Swain Dene, good old street view and zooming. It would be good if they put a stone on Mayfair House saying such, and it wasn't just the name the folks named it themselves after it was built.

CliffTon,

The house looks as though it would have been there in the 1940s. The Garden wall is typical of the ones i have seen around Carlton and Gedling. I think it is probably that style of house I am looking for! I am baffled about the Address. In #15 annswabey has found the family living in the Address in the 1940s, so we know it existed then.Mmmm

Sorry I can't give any more clues, only that is the Address in the letters.

hi carni i will see if i can get some info for you one of the teaching assistants i worked with now works at the swains ave site so i will see if i can contact her and see if she can get the info for me

babs

I had a look at a Directory for Nottm for 1941 at the National Archives today. Mayfair House was listed, somewhere between no's 99 and 148 Swains Ave (numbers after 99 and before 148 weren't included) and close to Whites Ave, which still exists.

• Upvote 2

Ann, I think you may have made matters worse :happy:

Present day Swains Avenue doesn't go beyond 55 (odd) or 74 (evens). Looks like it might be one of those cases where there was a renumbering at some stage.

Today, White's Avenue splits 49 and 51.

• Upvote 1